Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Recovery and the Ultra Wealthy
Old 09-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I want her to work so I can reach FIRE earlier though.
Sounds like she's already reached FIRE! Er, well, as long as you keep working...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

DW just mentioned she wants to "explore" the possibility of being a stay at home mom before we have the next kid. And we just broke even on her graduate degree.

We think we are going to start "trying" in two years, so until then, both the FIRE path and the "get ready for one income" path are on the same road. But our household income is almost triple the median, so I too believe this choice is a luxury for the few.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz

This means it is NOT very do-able. It is a fringe possibility
manageable by only a few.

So, then where is the progress of the last 50 years?
Razz,

What I am saying is that it is doable for a lot more people than they think... It is that today's society says we should have this and that etc. etc. which cost a lot of money. You do not have to have them. Why buy your kids a cell phone? Most everybody on this board grew up just fine without owning a cell phone... Why have cable TV at $50 to $100 per month... we only had 3 to 5 channels... Why have an SUV and maybe two other cars, a big boat, a big house, maybe a vacation home or timeshare.. I can go on and on of why people think they have to have two incomes, but most people on this board do not think this way...

I am not saying that you should have a stay at home parent, just that it is a lot more doable than most people think. You might not be able to retire early and money is tight, but it is there.

Texas...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Razz,

What I am saying is that it is doable for a lot more people than they think...
OK. THAT I can agree with. Yes, MOST people just sort of bend over and take it without looking at what ELSE could work for them
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
We think we are going to start "trying" in two years
Don't forget to practice.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghopper
Don't forget to practice.
Oh yeah! I've gotten really good at begging!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW just mentioned she wants to "explore" the possibility of being a stay at home mom before we have the next kid.* And we just broke even on her graduate degree.*

We think we are going to start "trying" in two years, so until then, both the FIRE path and the "get ready for one income" path are on the same road.* But our household income is almost triple the median, so I too believe this choice is a luxury for the few.*
Laurence, I don't know how feasible this is for your DW, but when it became clear that my DW was going to be staying home at some point, she set up her own business. She only sees a couple of clients a week and grosses $5 to 7k a year, so this isn't a big money maker at the moment. However, it keeps her options open by keeping her active in her profession and gives her something to put on her resume if she ever needs to do so. Since my DW is more extroverted than I, it also helps her with being social.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Laurence, I don't know how feasible this is for your DW, but when it became clear that my DW was going to be staying home at some point, she set up her own business. She only sees a couple of clients a week and grosses $5 to 7k a year, so this isn't a big money maker at the moment. However, it keeps her options open by keeping her active in her profession and gives her something to put on her resume if she ever needs to do so. Since my DW is more extroverted than I, it also helps her with being social.
On the same page! Her work is often outsourced/consultant, and we are also trying to dip our toe into real estate/rental properties. We are hoping she can do both from home, bring in a similar amount as you mentioned above.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On the same page!* Her work is often outsourced/consultant, and we are also trying to dip our toe into real estate/rental properties.* We are hoping she can do both from home, bring in a similar amount as you mentioned above.
I would probably hold off on the rental properties. The nice thing about consulting is that you can make it go away if you need to. It is considerably harder to make your rental-related tasks go away.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I would probably hold off on the rental properties.* The nice thing about consulting is that you can make it go away if you need to.* It is considerably harder to make your rental-related tasks go away.
I've done both, and while I agree with the above post, I would still opt
for the rental properties. You don't have to sell your services and you have a lot
more control over the results.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote