Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i've three bikes (hybrid-beach cruiser, roadie and mtn) but never road with the passion evident in mb's post. i don't even own a stitch of lycra (or is that material just poured into a mold?), my padded biking pants being of the pocketed baggy version. i've heard that you can tell you've been biking for too long when you think the clothing looks cool.

i prefer trail riding which i hope is not just a fashion statement. we have some really nice trails for the mtn bike but i wish we had more interesting roads for the roadie. state road a1a is nice but it gets old and the best weather to ride brings out the most & the worst drivers who pop out of all those driveways, so the ride can get defensive at stretches.

i ride the road mostly late at night or early morning before sunrise when the roads are finally quiet. my favorite time is an hour after the bars close until rush hour starts, especially in the summer when that is both the quietest and coolest part of the day. i've got a real good light set on the roadie with high beams & huge battery. if i was concerned about bike weight i'd just lose another 10 pounds myself.

putting the hitch on the car was a good move as it accepts a sturdy bike rack so i can ride in new places. you would think being so flat that florida would be ideal for biking but our roads have gotten so crowded with cars that we have one of the highest national rankings for bicycle deaths.

work is being done to make florida more bike-friendly but, while appreciated, they are late in coming and slow to actualize. but they promise to make biking safer and more enjoyable into the future. these include efforts like Broward County - Greenways Bike Florida and others. i was just visiting old friends new to sarasota and found this being constructed near their new retirement house: Florida , Sarasota Rail Trail, FL: The Trust for Public Land. had only i known i'd have brought my bike with me on that visit.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i ride the road mostly late at night or early morning before sunrise when the roads are finally quiet. my favorite time is an hour after the bars close until rush hour starts, especially in the summer when that is both the quietest and coolest part of the day. i've got a real good light set on the roadie with high beams & huge battery. if i was concerned about bike weight i'd just lose another 10 pounds myself.
LG4NB,

My guess is that you already have a tail light also, but just in case you don't, I would suggest that you get one for night riding.

The little red blinkie types seem to be the most popular and work fine.

MB

Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 AM   #23

Inspiring thread I missed the first time round. Still a 1 year novice at road biking but I'm up to 20 mile workouts with the occasional 30+ outing (all solo). Older brother (56) is the road riding fanatic and inspired me to start. As I slide into semi-ER I'd luv to increase the riding time, join a group, and try for a couple of goals (nothing like mb though). One is to bike the full length of the Outer Banks from Corolla to Ocracoke, then ferry to Cedar Island and down to Morehead City, all self supported. It's flat but the wind can be a beast. We'll have to see if I ever make it happen. Would prefer to do it with a small group due to traffic issues.

Speaking of endurance goals another crazy one is to kiteboard from Hatteras to Kitty Hawk on the Pamlico sound (~70 miles). Requires more safety (chase boat, radio, etc) and the right wind-weather. Have done the equivalent of 40 miles in 3 hours so far (13mph avg factoring in occasional stopping-playing) so not a huge stretch or so my delusional brain tells me. Another one of those "we'll see if I get the guts to do it" personal challenges

Have to admit that this kind of stuff is exciting for me.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
LG4NB,

My guess is that you already have a tail light also, but just in case you don't, I would suggest that you get one for night riding.

The little red blinkie types seem to be the most popular and work fine.

MB
excellent advice and already instituted.

from the front i look like an automobile with flood & spot light from TurboCat Bicycle Lighting Systems and from the rear i look like hazardous roadwork ahead with Cateye - Tl-ld1100 - Tl-ld1100.

i even have a tiny red blinker up high on the back of my helmet. i might look like an absolute idiot on that bike but at least i'm (relatively) safe. this is another reason why i don't wear bike clothing. lycra & lights? makes me shudder with embarrassment just to consider it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I ride mainly on local roads. Occasionally will get a chance to go out on a rail-trail which is a nice change of pace. They are putting a couple more in town, and governor has announced plans to add more in the state.

I've got average speed at best, so don't try to ride with the fast guys and gals. Mostly, try to go a a good steady pace. Average little over 3000 miles a year. My bikes are steel, so weight at least three farts.

My endurance goal is my annual century ride. Biggest thrill is knowing I can still climb some of the 20% grade hills we have around here.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrider View Post
I ride mainly on local roads. Occasionally will get a chance to go out on a rail-trail which is a nice change of pace. They are putting a couple more in town, and governor has announced plans to add more in the state.

I've got average speed at best, so don't try to ride with the fast guys and gals. Mostly, try to go a a good steady pace. Average little over 3000 miles a year. My bikes are steel, so weight at least three farts.

My endurance goal is my annual century ride. Biggest thrill is knowing I can still climb some of the 20% grade hills we have around here.
My favorite road bike is a steel-framed Mondonico. (The other is an Al Trek.)

I give up a lb or two on the Mondonico but it is just a great ride. Smooth, responsive and fast.

I was thinking of analogies to members of the opposite gender but decided to refrain from posting them

Rivrider, if you're doing centuries and climbing 20% grades you're doing great!

MB
Old 03-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #27

I kind of like the idea of a tour type ride, camping out in-between 50 milers or so. But, I am so out of shape now that this won't happen, and I certainly can't ride where I am now. Like Walt said, life expectancy would be less than 30 minutes.

BTW, in Oz, fast or slow, a bonk is a bonk...but you know the Aussies sometimes have different spellings for things...

R