Join Early Retirement Today

The Road To Margaritaville
Old 08-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Road To Margaritaville

Fred's view on leaving the U.S. for Mexico
http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm

A snippet...
I get hordes of mail (though I’m not sure how many emails in a horde) saying “Dear Fred, I too am sick of my job, the country, dumb-ass wars, the creeping mommy-state, and the hyper-regulation of practically everything, and I too want to live in paradise with a dusky maiden and sip funny drinks with lots of tequila in them and maybe die of cirrhosis but everybody has to anyway and it’s more dignified than a car crash on the Fourteenth Street Bridge. How?”

This is my nickel guide for people thinking about expatriation to Mexico. It may bore most people, but it’s supposed to be useful instead of scintillating. (Utility is a new departure for this column.)
.... lots more... read if you're interested....

Wonder if I could pick up the Cowboys during the winter and the Red Sox during the summer.

He does talk about a small coastal town called Melaque. I never heard of it, but he says you can build a 3BR house for $50,000. That's chump change in San Diego.

He also gave a link which might be useful.

http://www.mexcentralexpats.com/

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Road To Margaritaville
Old 08-09-2005, 10:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Fred's view on leaving the U.S. for Mexico
http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm

A snippet...
I get hordes of mail (though I’m not sure how many emails in a horde) saying “Dear Fred, I too am sick of my job, the country, dumb-ass wars, the creeping mommy-state, and the hyper-regulation of practically everything,
Can anyone tell me what a "creeping mommy-state" might be?

Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #3

I interpreted that to mean excessive and increasing cradle-to-grave benefits and handholding (eg, Western Europe especially France) and the high (excessive and increasing) taxes that go with it.

By the way, That link to living as an Ex-pat in Ajijic, Mexico got me thinking.* I don't think the wife would go for it, but just maybe I'll go down there for a few days and check it out.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:

I interpreted that to be mean creeping cradle-to-grave benefits and handholding (eg, Western Europe especially France) and the high taxes that go with it
Unfortunately nature abhors a vacuum. If the money doesn't get to the People who need it one way, it will get there another. It's how things work.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43

He does talk about a small coastal town called Melaque. I never heard of it, but he says you can build a 3BR house for $50,000. That's chump change in San Diego.
You could almost build a simple 3 BR for that much in certain parts of the US!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #6

A couple of comments:

If the money doesn't get to the People who need it one way,* it will get there another. It's how things work

well, as it is I support three welfare families and a B-52 bomber crew. However,* if the gov't wants to tax everybody (else) and give me money, well then, I'm all for that.* And believe me, I need it !

Construction costs are pretty much the same across the country at around $50-$100 per square foot - give or take. So a 1500 square foot house could in theory be constructed for as little as $75000 - give or take.

The difference in prices is the land that you build on. I just saw a local news show of how a quarter acre parcel is going for $750000 out here in SoCal now.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

Construction costs are pretty much the same across the country at around $50-$100 per square foot - give or take. So a $1500 square foot house could in theory be constructed for as little as $75000 - give or take.

The difference in prices is the land that you build on. I just saw a local news show of how a quarter acre parcel is going for $750000 out here in SoCal now.
From my limited experience in cost estimation for different types of construction, I've seen a wide variety of costs in different parts of the US. The unit costs for labor and materials can be 100% higher in higher cost of living cities, union dominated cities and places that don't have access to migrant labor. Ex: NYC suburbs versus rural TX. The cost difference goes beyond the price of raw land (although that is a huge factor, of course). Look at RS Means cost estimation guides. They publish locality cost factors that let you adjust national averages to local figures based on material and labor unit costs.

From the original poster's article, I found this quote particularly funny:
"Many guys write me asking about Mexican women. If you are a single guy, the woman situation is…complex. Because most gringos never learn Spanish, they have little access and so end up lonely in the bars, or just drunk. Learn serviceable Spanish, as a fair few do, and you will find a world of attractive and agreeable females. They like gringos, who can give them a comfortable life and don’t hit them or much cheat on them. Imagine a pretty, pleasant, warm-blooded young woman who doesn’t snarl, grouse, demand anything, or sue. Often bright and quirky, they run to domesticity, jealousy, and tranquility. Americans married to them do not complain."
Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #8

OK, I was going to say that this moving to Mexico is not for me, but with this late breaking information I'll need to reconsider.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Snarl, grouse.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
well, as it is I support three welfare families and a B-52 bomber crew. However, if the gov't wants to tax everybody (else) and give me money, well then, I'm all for that. And believe me, I need it !
To be more accurate, a very, very minute percentage of 'your' money is used for Welfare. As Clinton pointed out 'Don't confuse Welfare reform with Budget reform'.

Everyone likes to hate welfare, but it is not even on the radar in the currrent budget bloat. I understand why it makes for 'popular politics'.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Often bright and quirky, they run to domesticity, jealousy, and tranquility. Americans married to them do not complain."
Greg

I know you want to post a comment on how this is a dead-on description of Martha, but modesty prevents you from boasting.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Welfare:

Oh excuse my shorthand: Welfare == AFDC, housing subsidies for the poor, medical subsidies for the poor, education subsidies for the poor. The list goes on and on, and the demands are unlimited. And despite your popular recharacterization of "welfare" the sums involved are tremendous and not just a blip on the radar.

Then there are all of the farm subsidies and business subsidies.

As an aside, here's the difference between Democrats and Republicans:
Democrats take money away from people that work and give it to poor people. Republicans take money away from people that work and give it to Big business and corporations. Either way they take my money and give it away.
What part of the Pie Chart do you consider Welfare? - Military Pensions? Education? Social Security? Public School Lunch Programs?

The 34% Human Resources is $722B: Education, Health/Human Services, HUD, Food/Nutrition programs, Labor Department, Soc. Sec. Admin

Just Wondering.

You know, there is some real information out there as opposed to the Rush Limbaugh show.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #13

I think one's perception of the extent of the welfare problem depends to a large degree on where you happen to live and what you happen to experience on a day to day basis. I can relate fully with what masterblaster is saying, yet I know folks in rural midwest who may occasionally bitch about a farmers subsidy, but generally are clueless about the rest of the country.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

[img
http://www.warresisters.org/images/pieFY06.jpg[/img]

What would be more germane to the discussion would be a pie chart of selected state bugets. Much different picture.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #15

Quote:
OK:

I'm not going to argue with fuzzy thinking liberals.

However you could put most of the budget of Health/Human Services, HUD, Food/Nutrition programs into "Welfare" as with all of the other "transfer" programs.

For you fuzzy thinking but good-intentioned liberals. If you want to give your money to poorly thought out, poorly run, government programs with poor results to help poor people. Then go right ahead. Just don't expect everyone else to share your values.

- You breed em, you feed em !
I am wondering who paid for your K-12 education (A leap of faith here)?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
What part of the Pie Chart do you consider Welfare? - Military Pensions? Education? Social Security? Public School Lunch Programs?
You don't consider Social security to be welfare? In what sense is it not a wealth redistribution system?

The pie chart is funny. Military = red. Everything else = not red. The military vs. non-military dichotomy that is always shown by liberals. "We're wasting XXX billion dollars on our military, and only one quarter that goes to welfare!!!111!!11one".

Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been trying to stay out of these political debates, but the the term "you breed them, you feed them" is just heartbreaking to me. I'm well aware that there are many people who take advantage of the system, but I am thankful that we have a system that helps to feed and educate children. If we did not what would our country look like? No child asks to be born to deadbeat parents, the least we as a society can do it to see that they have some kind of chance to make it in the world. The hope is that once those children grow up they will be productive members of society.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
You don't consider Social security to be welfare?* In what sense is it not a wealth redistribution system?* *

The pie chart is funny.* Military = red.* Everything else = not red.* The military vs. non-military dichotomy that is always shown by liberals.* "We're wasting XXX billion dollars on our military, and only one quarter that goes to welfare!!!111!!11one".
Maybe you like this one better.

[img width=750 height=355]http://www.thepeacealliance.org/images/pie-chart_lg.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #19

What would our country look like??
How about this question-- - -If we didn't have the system would we still have the problem?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just take a look at all the folks trying to escape from Margaritaville.