Join Early Retirement Today

A Work in Progress
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

A Work in Progress

Thump, thump, thump, thump.

6:25 A.M. Bleary eyed... "What the...?" Opened the blind a little, and there's a guy spreading out canvas right in font of me. Three trucks out front, and 6 coolers, out by the curb.
Dressed, and carefully out the front door... shingles, felt, nails, vents, pouring down.
Out front to take a look. Nine guys swarming the entire roof... pitchforks, shovels... and working like I've never seen before. Young guys ... actually running, with 75 lbs if shingles in their heads... to toss them into the big container in the driveway.
8:07 A.M. 90% of the roof... including the "dormer" bedroom and garage roofs, are now clear. 1680 s.f. house.
Hmm... no one speaks English, including the foreman, but he says to me...
"Two PM"... I don't understand... me "You mean done by 2 PM?"... he "Yes".

So we'll see. A work in progress...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

8:30 AM... Old shingles... almost clear.
Temperature 85F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rroof eight thirty AM.jpg (508.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Back side.jpg (502.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

10:30 AM
Debris from old roof cleaned up. Good start on the new one. Turned slightly cloudy, so a little cooler. Now the rat-a-tat-tat from the new shingles. Constant, but livable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BILD1069.jpg (506.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BILD1071.jpg (471.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Roof was done at 2PM . Crew gone, with two guys left for clean up of nails, etc., a few pieces of trim, and replacement of TV antenna.

Some inside painting (water stain) and a few screen repairs to be finished by another crew. So far, so good. wouldn't have believed a full roof strip and reshingle in 8 hours. Insurance pays all but $500 deductible.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Ray, do you have a skylight anywhere near the leak?

Also, it could be leaking around the roof piping.

No skylights sir... They rescheduled and are coming Friday...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Roof was done at 2PM . Crew gone, with two guys left for clean up of nails, etc., a few pieces of trim, and replacement of TV antenna.

Some inside painting (water stain) and a few screen repairs to be finished by another crew. So far, so good. wouldn't have believed a full roof strip and reshingle in 8 hours. Insurance pays all but $500 deductible.

Sounds like this crew has this down to a science.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Just hope they used 4 or 6 nails or staples per shingle and didn't forget the roof venting

I had the same issue of speech, only 1 guy knew English, so when I told them to stop putting roof vents in the garage, there was some confusion as they didnt understand why I didn't want all the vents evenly spaced across the roof.

All worked out in the end.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
The roof
Old 08-04-2016, 03:55 AM   #48

The roof

On the first go round at fixing the leak...they replaced a bad vent as it didn't have a snow guard...
(Essentially a piece of paper) Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Were there any chalk lines on that roof when they were running the shingles? If not...good luck.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Just hope they used 4 or 6 nails or staples per shingle and didn't forget the roof venting
I dont know a roofer worth his salt that would use 6 nails per shingle. Not only is that excessive but its also a waste.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I dont know a roofer worth his salt that would use 6 nails per shingle. Not only is that excessive but its also a waste.
I always double the nails on the side of the shingle at the end of the rows...it's $5 of nails and an extra 2 or 3 minutes on the whole job. But there's nothing wrong with using 6 nails for the whole job...nails are cheap, and the extra adhesion, especially for those in high wind areas never hurts.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #52

Quote:
When I did shingle roofs when in my 20's it it was 3 nails per shingle and this was on waterfront homes I don't recall many wind blown shingles unless there was hurricane force winds and at that point more nails would not have stopped that from happening. As far as chalk lines only for the first 2 courses of shingles. Never an issue with keeping it straight.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
When I did shingle roofs when in my 20's it it was 3 nails per shingle and this was on waterfront homes I don't recall many wind blown shingles unless there was hurricane force winds and at that point more nails would not have stopped that from happening. As far as chalk lines only for the first 2 courses of shingles. Never an issue with keeping it straight.

No chalk lines...
As to nails the only thing doubled was my blood pressure..

Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #54

Update on our roof: They finished it yesterday. The owner of the company was here Monday, Tues and Wednesday, along with several other people. They ended up using 31, 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and 36 squares of shingles. Our roof was in much worse shape than we realized. The extra work for sheeting material and labor was $1,187.20 and the total cost for the roof was $13,087.20. I was happy. It was hot out and they worked hard.

My DH helped my brother-in-law replace his roof previously. He also worked putting shingles on a roof on a mission trip after Katrina. That was many years ago and he was much younger. We have only had 2 roofs replaced and we paid to have it done.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Update on our roof: They finished it yesterday. The owner of the company was here Monday, Tues and Wednesday, along with several other people. They ended up using 31, 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and 36 squares of shingles. Our roof was in much worse shape than we realized. The extra work for sheeting material and labor was $1,187.20 and the total cost for the roof was $13,087.20. I was happy. It was hot out and they worked hard.

My DH helped my brother-in-law replace his roof previously. He also worked putting shingles on a roof on a mission trip after Katrina. That was many years ago and he was much younger. We have only had 2 roofs replaced and we paid to have it done.
31 sheets of ply is a lot of rotted roof. Good thing you replaced it!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #56

They said they almost went through the roof, in a couple of places. We had our house remodeled and they finished up in 12/14. They could not do the roof in the winter. They told us that it needed done though. It totally slipped our mind in 2015.

We had our roof shingled 18 years ago. I don't think that he did the best job.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Guess you don't know roofers who do it to spec, or you don't have any winds in your area.

Owens Corning Roofing: Estimating Materials for your Roofing Project
"
You will also need to determine the amount of nails you'll need. Generally, you should use four nails per shingle. For regular three-tab shingles, this would require 320 nails per square. For high wind areas or when shingles are being applied to a mansard, six nails per shingle are required (480 nails per square). This is based on 80 shingles per square."
Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
and they all charge way too much for the work being done.
How is it that you know that they are all charging to much for the work being done?
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Guess you don't know roofers who do it to spec, or you don't have any winds in your area.

Owens Corning Roofing: Estimating Materials for your Roofing Project
"
You will also need to determine the amount of nails you'll need. Generally, you should use four nails per shingle. For regular three-tab shingles, this would require 320 nails per square. For high wind areas or when shingles are being applied to a mansard, six nails per shingle are required (480 nails per square). This is based on 80 shingles per square."
This is a biased opinion from a company that makes money from consumers. You can put as many nails in as you want...its not going to hurt anything. Whether is necessary or not is a matter of opinion. Ive never come across real data that supports this claim.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is a biased opinion from a company that makes money from consumers. You can put as many nails in as you want...its not going to hurt anything. Whether is necessary or not is a matter of opinion. Ive never come across real data that supports this claim.
They make money from selling shingles, NOT nails.
Why would they want you to buy more nails ?

They probably want your shingles to NOT fall off, as you will blame them when it happens.