The roof

I dont know a roofer worth his salt that would use 6 nails per shingle. Not only is that excessive but its also a waste.

I always double the nails on the side of the shingle at the end of the rows...it's $5 of nails and an extra 2 or 3 minutes on the whole job. But there's nothing wrong with using 6 nails for the whole job...nails are cheap, and the extra adhesion, especially for those in high wind areas never hurts.

I dont know a roofer worth his salt that would use 6 nails per shingle. Not only is that excessive but its also a waste.

When I did shingle roofs when in my 20's it it was 3 nails per shingle and this was on waterfront homes I don't recall many wind blown shingles unless there was hurricane force winds and at that point more nails would not have stopped that from happening. As far as chalk lines only for the first 2 courses of shingles. Never an issue with keeping it straight.

When I did shingle roofs when in my 20's it it was 3 nails per shingle and this was on waterfront homes I don't recall many wind blown shingles unless there was hurricane force winds and at that point more nails would not have stopped that from happening. As far as chalk lines only for the first 2 courses of shingles. Never an issue with keeping it straight.

No chalk lines...
As to nails the only thing doubled was my blood pressure..

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Update on our roof: They finished it yesterday. The owner of the company was here Monday, Tues and Wednesday, along with several other people. They ended up using 31, 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and 36 squares of shingles. Our roof was in much worse shape than we realized. The extra work for sheeting material and labor was $1,187.20 and the total cost for the roof was $13,087.20. I was happy. It was hot out and they worked hard.

My DH helped my brother-in-law replace his roof previously. He also worked putting shingles on a roof on a mission trip after Katrina. That was many years ago and he was much younger. We have only had 2 roofs replaced and we paid to have it done.

Update on our roof: They finished it yesterday. The owner of the company was here Monday, Tues and Wednesday, along with several other people. They ended up using 31, 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and 36 squares of shingles. Our roof was in much worse shape than we realized. The extra work for sheeting material and labor was $1,187.20 and the total cost for the roof was $13,087.20. I was happy. It was hot out and they worked hard.

My DH helped my brother-in-law replace his roof previously. He also worked putting shingles on a roof on a mission trip after Katrina. That was many years ago and he was much younger. We have only had 2 roofs replaced and we paid to have it done.
31 sheets of ply is a lot of rotted roof. Good thing you replaced it!

They said they almost went through the roof, in a couple of places. We had our house remodeled and they finished up in 12/14. They could not do the roof in the winter. They told us that it needed done though. It totally slipped our mind in 2015.

We had our roof shingled 18 years ago. I don't think that he did the best job.

Guess you don't know roofers who do it to spec, or you don't have any winds in your area.

Owens Corning Roofing: Estimating Materials for your Roofing Project
"
You will also need to determine the amount of nails you'll need. Generally, you should use four nails per shingle. For regular three-tab shingles, this would require 320 nails per square. For high wind areas or when shingles are being applied to a mansard, six nails per shingle are required (480 nails per square). This is based on 80 shingles per square."

Guess you don't know roofers who do it to spec, or you don't have any winds in your area.

"
You will also need to determine the amount of nails you'll need. Generally, you should use four nails per shingle. For regular three-tab shingles, this would require 320 nails per square. For high wind areas or when shingles are being applied to a mansard, six nails per shingle are required (480 nails per square). This is based on 80 shingles per square."

This is a biased opinion from a company that makes money from consumers. You can put as many nails in as you want...its not going to hurt anything. Whether is necessary or not is a matter of opinion. Ive never come across real data that supports this claim.

This is a biased opinion from a company that makes money from consumers. You can put as many nails in as you want...its not going to hurt anything. Whether is necessary or not is a matter of opinion. Ive never come across real data that supports this claim.

They make money from selling shingles, NOT nails.
Why would they want you to buy more nails ? :facepalm:

They probably want your shingles to NOT fall off, as you will blame them when it happens.

"

+1@Sunset. This is why newer building codes in high wind areas, such as South Florida, mandate more and longer nails, and carefully inspect installation. It's not just the cost of the nails, it's also the additional labor. All extra cost for the roofer, so not something typically proposed by a fly-by-night type. Short or insufficient nails are a problem 10 years down the road, when shingles are loose, nails bent and rusting, and rot sets in the wood.

Last edited:
They make money from selling shingles, NOT nails.
Why would they want you to buy more nails ? :facepalm:

They probably want your shingles to NOT fall off, as you will blame them when it happens.

lol...next you're going to tell me dealerships dont upcharge for car parts. do what you want to do. show me the data...ill leave it at that. byyzzeee

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1470445215.866925.jpg

They opened up the ceiling and Yeah it's leaking.... Now I need to chase up the home office and ask what are you doing for me...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
They opened up the ceiling and Yeah it's leaking.... Now I need to chase up the home office and ask what are you doing for me...

Is there access to the attic? If so, I don't know why they couldn't look for the leak without cutting through the ceiling??

lol...next you're going to tell me dealerships dont upcharge for car parts. do what you want to do. show me the data...ill leave it at that. byyzzeee

Code up here is 4 nails per shingle, and on 12/12 or greater pitch roof, 6 nails must be used. Staples are not allowed, ice and water shield must be used in certain areas, and depending on which province, an underlayment may be required on the entire roof.

Is there access to the attic? If so, I don't know why they couldn't look for the leak without cutting through the ceiling??

Yes attic, no access to that specific spot - we took out a bunch of wet insulation I'll call them on Monday...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Back
Top Bottom