Join Early Retirement Today

The roof
Old 08-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The roof

There coming tomorrow for the 4th time.. This time a new guy will cut holes in my ceiling to "find the leak..." They have tried everything... I am at my limit.

I wrote this some time ago.
Roof day
I am pretty handy but I am by no means a construction person. Roofs I knew had to be done right or it can be disastrous - water is the enemy of homes. Which is probably why I was pretty anxious the day my hail damaged roof was to be replaced. I came home yesterday to find a dumpster and pile of roofing materials at the top of my driveway. They had apparently been 'Unable to contact me' but I called them and "yes tomorrow they will be there". So I decided to work from home - which proved to be a good thing.

The roofers arrived in a banged up stretch van that was well past its prime. As soon as they parked it they opened the hood to give the old girl a drink. The rest of their tools were no better. Their air compressor's hose popped off time and time again and dangerously whipped about once free. Their ladder device to carry the shingles up to the roof failed and then failed again? It was a comedy of errors except this was my home they were working on. They promised a professional crew and quality work its but they promise a lot.

I sat outside and watched the roofers while some of my code was running ( i am a developer be trade) I noticed they brought along 4 sheets of osb (today's cheap plywood). I didn't expect any wood to need to be replaced as the old roof was a mere 8 years old. Before I knew it they had a circular saw out and cut one of my sheets ...

I asked why the replacement and they indicated the while wood wasn't rotten it was a little buckled. So who cleared this? No answer. Communication is difficult because the crew speaks limited English - or so they like me to believe. Fearing a sham I called my salesman and verbally blasted him. He came over to my house and we continued to have words. You aren't very friendly he said. I said I am pissed That I have to watch your guys.. He left in a huff.

I came outside not ten minutes later and I noticed they were putting the rubber ice shield on top of the rhino paper (today's tar paper). That would essentially make the ice shield useless. Another call and "we are sending our QC guy". Juan arrives looks up and says yeah "its wrong" after much yelling they reluctantly tore the old stuff off and redid it. Juan didn't finish high school but he knows roofing. I make them redo the old step flashing that they were inclined to leave (just not good work)

Juan tells me he was told stay and make sure its right. Still Juan slips away and then much returns after awhile? I latter am told Juan was working multiple companies and was shown the door.

The next day saw more sloppy work -the wrong color caulking, tar stained on on my white garage door .....

One of them asks me do you get snow here? (I think OMG)

Update 8 months later- we came home from Florida to discover the ceiling in the first floor kitchen has water stains. Heavy rains when we were away.. It looks like a large bit of paint is gone as well. I suspect the joint where the garage meets the main house is leaking ... Did they replace that step flashing? This roof cost 20 something thousand! (Insurance and me). I called and they are coming today - I'll have to hold my temper, getting angry accomplishes nothing.

After several attempts to fix the leak and repaints of my kitchen ceiling the salesman said "yeah I guess quality slipped.'' Ya think?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

My deepest sympathy . I just finished the fencing replacement from hell . We got estimates in march and then it took till may for the salesman to get back to me despite numerous call , texts and emails . We signed the contract in the beginning of may and they started installation July 25th with the slowest installer ever . First day he worked two hours disappeared for two hours and then worked two more hours . The next day he worked one hour and left for the day . After I complained he did finish the job on day three . This was a major fence company .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

I hear you. We are in the process of having our roof replaced right now. Three people showed up last Tuesday. One man was in an old van that had a confederate flag license plate on the front and a skull decal in the middle of his front window. He worked part of the day and left finally. DH said he came off of the roof in 90 something degree weather and was not sweating. He paced up and down our driveway and kept mumbling. He went to his van and was rocking back and forth and groaning. DH went to check on him and he left. His brother, still working on our roof, said he is a diabetic, but won't go to the doctor. We are not happy that someone is his medical shape is up on our roof. DH told his brother this and the other guy has not shown back up. So last week, we had the original guy and his son or as my DH calls him, the worthless son. We have had heavy rains also. Water started leaking in the recessed light in our bedroom. We called the owner and he said that he will call Eric, who lives around 45 minutes away from us, to come. In the meantime, I am holding the ladder, while my DH is climbing up on the roof, and then I am throwing tarps up to him, all the while it is pouring rain. Eric shows up and takes over. Eric works Friday and Friday night it pours again and is leaking in our bedroom again. Call the owner of the company who just got to his house from working another job and the owner comes to our house. He also lives about 45 minutes away. He stops the leak. He tells us that he will be at our house today, with a crew. There were 5 or 6 guys here today and a lot of work was done. My DH said they should finish up tomorrow. Our bedroom and bath were added on, before we bought the place. We added an oversize 2 car garage. We have a lot of roof. They had to replace quite a bit of wood on our roof and said it was going to cost more than the estimate they gave us. He had told us, they would have to wait until the shingles were off, to see what shape the roof was in. I am dreading to see how much extra it is going to cost.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Reading all this makes one want to sell his home and move into a tiny home. With a tiny home, one can do everything himself. Heck, people with no previous experience even build their own tiny home.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry for your troubles......when i got my roof replaced 10 yrs ago I spent a lot of time on getting bids and researching companies, including getting referrals from friends and neighbors (even before calling for bids)......ended up picking an estimate that was roughly in the middle $ wise...have had no problems either with install (I was present for most of it) or since then......two tree branch incidents with relatively minor damage were repaired promptly by same company, one paid by insurance, the other minor enough that I paid myself rather than having a claim..........research is so important, also there is value in just a gut feel about integrity when speaking to the co rep's.which was also why i chose the bid I did, rather than the lowest one..........I know even with all that Murphy's law can still apply....but i was fortunate in my case, and even if something had gone wrong at least I knew I did all I could to avoid it......did your insurance co require you to use this contractor?
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
This is why I hate to hire companies to do some job.
I spend lots of time researching the job, then the possible companies using Google and BBB on their names, or phone numbers, or address to eliminate the worst of the worst.

Still it's a risk, and I'll do my own repairs that I can do, but I have given up doing roofs and don't have the skills to do everything.
I feel the pain.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We saw adds for a local roofing company who claimed they did excellent work, fast, professional and with complete clean-up. We found someone who had just used them and they seemed to confirm the truth of the advertising so we hired them. After the first day (primarily tear off and bad-plywood replacement) I found one single 2 square inch piece of old tar paper in the yard - no nails, no scrap, nada. Next day, job was done, looked good, was exactly as estimated. No leaks for the time we lived there. There ARE good companies out there. You just have to find them and then pass along their names to your friends. Good luck to all as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When we had our roof replaced, we not only interviewed several contractors, but went around to homes they had worked on (as verified by the owners) to see how the roofs looked. The roofs done by our chosen contractor really looked nice.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 AM   #9

I hired a friend of my son's to do my roof and paid too much for it. but having known the guy for many years and he is the godfather to oone of my grandchildren, I was pretty confident that I would get a good job and I did. but I went for someone to replace some windows, different story, I called a half a dozen guys, two showed up, looked at the windows and said they would be in touch, no one even called to give me a price or decline the work. finally I am doing the windows myself. contractors are in such high demand around here that it seems they can pick and choose their work. I feel the pain for anyone who is hiring contractors, because you don't know what kind of work you will get, the ones that do the quality work are so booked up they are unavailable, and they all charge way too much for the work being done.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ray, do you have a skylight anywhere near the leak?

Also, it could be leaking around the roof piping.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #11
gone traveling

The problem with leaks is they can travel and the leak may not be coming from where you would think. I've gone through 4 roof replacements since arriving in DFW back in 1993, and I've let only one quality roofing company touch my roofs and never had a problem.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The problem with leaks is they can travel and the leak may not be coming from where you would think. I've gone through 4 roof replacements since arriving in DFW back in 1993, and I've let only one quality roofing company touch my roofs and never had a problem.
that's why I asked about the skylight. mine leaked to a spot 20 ft away
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #13

We had our roof replaced with shingles 3 times in the past 30 years. We always used one of the 2 major brands rated 30+ years but they just don't hold up in the harsh Fl sun. The last shingles were just bad and the company warranty was not worth anything. I don't think any of the warranties cover anything but prorated on the shingles only which is less than half the price of the job. We constantly fought leaks around the chimney for years with each new roof. After the first roof I toyed with the idea of a standing seam metal roof screwed down but I thought the cost was too high. I should have done it anyway. It would have cost less than the next 2 shingle roofs. I finally had the metal roof installed 4 years ago and have not had any problems since. In addition it helped keep the house temperature more constant, our electric bill has been lower since the installation, and we won't have to have another roof installed ever again.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
that's why I asked about the skylight. mine leaked to a spot 20 ft away
Right, I'd look at all of the roof penetrations: chimney, vent stacks, ridge vent (if you have one), valley flashing, sky lights, etc or maybe raised shingles.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With a tiny home, one can do everything himself. Heck, people with no previous experience even build their own tiny home.
I respectfully disagree. Small homes may be easier due to the size, but unless you know what you're doing, you can't just "build" a house. It doesn't work that way...knowledge of basic construction techniques is required whether it is a 200 sq. ft. house or a 2000 sq. ft. house.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've gone through 4 roof replacements since arriving in DFW back in 1993, and I've let only one quality roofing company touch my roofs and never had a problem.
Why have you needed 4 new roofs in 23 years? Are these all on the same house, or is it multiple homes??
Old 08-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

We had a (non-emergency) roof reshingle and other work done (new windows, new deck) during the great recession--it was so easy to get really good companies' attention back then and they were all so grateful for the work. Today there is so much construction going on that they're all busy and would not have time for us.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
There coming tomorrow for the 4th time.. This time a new guy will cut holes in my ceiling to "find the leak..." They have tried everything... I am at my limit.
After the experiences suffered when the roof was replaced and the multiple efforts to repair, it looks like it's time to change roofer.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
If there is access to the attic, then why do they have to cut through the ceiling to find the leak?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right, I'd look at all of the roof penetrations: chimney, vent stacks, ridge vent (if you have one), valley flashing, sky lights, etc or maybe raised shingles.
squirrels ate through the flashing on my vent stacks once - that caused a leak