Join Early Retirement Today

The Running Back and the $14.5M
Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Running Back and the $14.5M

Last year Le’veon Bell of the Pittsburgh Steelers was the best running back in the league. He had one more year left on his contract when he demanded a new contract that would have made him the highest paid running back in the NFL. When the Steelers refused to meet his salary demands, Le’veon Bell decided not to play at all saying he was concerned about being injured—which could greatly lessen his value next year. His decision not to play cost him $14.5M in salary. Currently, the highest paid running back has a four-year contract totaling $60M. Healthy, Bell will get a lot more than $60M.

Any thoughts regarding Le’veon Bell’s approach?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Don't be a hog.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Well sometimes I'm not smart enough to understand things like that. I w*rked in a place where the owner jacked with my subjectivity on what he paid for things. He frequently told me to give his money away!

I wasn't smart enough to understand why. I left there because he loved to yell about my ability to measure things and pay more than they were worth. I guess it was okay. He was broke a few years later. Guess paying way more than fair isn't smart.

Sometimes folks logic makes little sense to me. Guess I'm not smart enough.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #4

Recall seeing a stat that showed the average career lengths for NFL players and running backs were at the bottom (shortest) at less than 3 years. As good as Le'Veon is if I was an owner I would be hesitant in signing any veteran running back to an expensive long term contract.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Recall seeing a stat that showed the average career lengths for NFL players and running backs were at the bottom (shortest) at less than 3 years. As good as Le'Veon is if I was an owner I would be hesitant in signing any veteran running back to an expensive long term contract.
Especially one that has as many carries/receptions as Bell does the past five years... last year over 300 carries and 80+ receptions... that equates to being tackled approx. 400 times by some really big defensive players.

I'm a Spartan fan and like Bell, and he's only 26... but his best years are probably behind him. It would be a mistake for another team to essentially pay Le'Veon for what he did with the Steelers.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

Well, 26 isn't especially old--even for a running back. And, he did take a year off so he wouldn't be tackled. However, he did lead the league in touches last year. Still, it might be a mistake to sign him to a long-term contract. But, I think he'll get one and he'll become the highest paid running back in the league. Even if he only has 2-3 good years left, he sure could help a team to the Super Bowl. He takes a lot of pressure off of the quarterback because he has good hands (that doesn't sound right) and he always worries the defense. He's the one running back that I would overpay for. What do you guys think about his walking away from $14.5M?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

So is he considered retired?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

pb4uski: as Willy Wonka famously said, “strike that, reverse it”.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
What do you guys think about his walking away from $14.5M?
I've heard different numbers that the Steelers offered Bell, $47M over 3 years, $70M over 5 years. Not all of it was guaranteed and neither offer met the yearly amount Bell was looking for but not that far off. It's a gamble, he could get injured just working out on his own and end up with close to nothing. Even if he stays healthy I doubt he'll get much more than what the Steelers offered him (if the offers above are legit).
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The Steelers appear to be doing quite well without him this season.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
So is he considered retired?
No, not retired. From what I understand the Steelers could hold on to him for another year, but it sounds as if they are just going to let him go on his way. I heard today on sports talk radio that the Steelers (the organization, not the players) broke the lock on his locker (it sounded as if he may have had two lockers) and let the players take what they wanted (as opposed to crating the stuff up and shipping it to him).
Old 11-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
pb4uski: as Willy Wonka famously said, “strike that, reverse it”.
Yes, when I came back and re-read it I realized that I muffed it. Fixed.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, when I came back and re-read it I realized that I muffed it. Fixed.
Well, now that we've gotten that straightened out...
Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...rs-for-the-rb/

Easy to understand his approach, as well as Steelers.
This was his second year with franchise tag. On the open market his worth will come out.
There are aspects to Steelers offer that are not well understood. For example, they do not guarantee money to same extent as other teams.
For the rookie who replaced him, good luck with the rookie contract. There's a good chance career ends in less than five years.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Those flashy NFL contracts do not mean much as most of that money is not guaranteed...

And I am not sure if you get the whole contract if you are hurt... IOW, a 5 year $80 mill might only have $30 mill guaranteed and if you are hurt in year 1 I do not think you get the full $80 mill...

There are also incentives in most of those contracts that will not happen if you are injured and I would think they would not have to be paid...

I cannot remember the QB, but there is one big name sitting on the bench and they said he will not play another snap so he cannot get injured which would require them to pay out money next year... but they will cut him at the end of the year...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

AT first thought it seems crazy to turn down $14.5 million for one year. However, how many people on here are experts in their field and believe they should be paid for that level of expertise? If you were offered $70K/yr but you thought you were worth $100K/yr so you turned it down, many on here would think that's reasonable. Especially if you are FI and can afford to wait for a better offer. When you look at it in more down-to-earth numbers it doesn't seem sooo crazy.

I would not offer a running back with over 1000 carries more than a three year contract.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #17

As a Steeler fan, I wished Bell would have played, but they are doing fine without him. However, Bell has had some injuries in the past, and although he has been "clean" recently, he has been on the substance abuse program. It is now all about guaranteed money.

It was nice knowing you, and good luck to you in your future endeavors.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Le'Veon Bell contract saga with Pittsburgh Steelers: How we got here - Pittsburgh Steelers Blog- ESPN

Le'veon Bell is a free agent, and will get the guaranteed money he wants.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The big difference between the NFL and the other major pro sports is that contracts beyond what is specifically stated are not guaranteed. So you have to ignore the contract amount and look at the amount of guaranteed money that is in the deal.

I do not blame him for trying to maximize his worth. He is doing nothing illegal and is taking the risk that by sitting out, what he will get will more than make up for the 14.5M (which would not be guaranteed) he is foregoing. Perhaps he is a player than has been careful with what he has earned so far, and can afford to do it. It is not that dissimilar to Kirk Cousins. While Kirk did not sit out a year, he refused to sign a contract and played under the franchise tag - taking the risk that an injury could have wiped out his value - and ended up with a much bigger payday from someone else.

In addition sitting out a year may be a healthy benefit for him, giving the amount of carries he has had in his career. While older running backs who do well are rare, there are enough recent examples that a team will be willing to take a chance. Remember, it is not just the running back, but the quality of the offensive line for that running back.

I always find it interesting how someone with his level of carries and catches are admired for being a "workhorse" and having "all-around skills", and the club designs their offense to use him a lot... but then when it comes to contract time it changes to "wear and tear" and "longevity". That is the nature of the NFL as a business.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The Steelers appear to be doing quite well without him this season.
Yes, they are doing quite well. But, the Steelers probably would have won and not tied the game with the Browns if Bell were playing.

Also, Antonio Brown is having a very good year, but not a great year. I think that it might be because the other teams' defenses can focus more on him as they don't have to focus on Bell.