The Scent of a Tree

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What kind of Christmas tree do you have, and how strong of a scent does it have?

We have a noble fir, and it smells good up close. But I want a tree or wreath that fills the house with that Christmasy smell.

I prefer Douglas firs, due to their scent. They are very messy, but who cares? :D

You can smell the plastic of our artificial tree through out the house, especially when the lights get hot!

I have found that trees or wreaths only smell when they are older . So keep your tree up until the middle of January and the scent will be great .! Our tree is a douglas fir .

We have a douglas fir that gives the room it's in a nice scent....it doesn't go any farther than that however. I wonder if those huge Christmas light bulbs they used to make cause more scent from a tree because of the heat?

I gave up on live trees the year my daughter went into the hospital for a week after putting up the tree with an asthma attack. On New Years when I took it down she went back for another week. It was enough real tree for me when she was only three. My son and I just finished putting up a 16 ft artifical tree and he decorated the top half off the circular staircase and the balcony. It looks pretty and simple, we only put on about 1/3 of the ornaments.

What kind of Christmas tree do you have, and how strong of a scent does it have?

We have a noble fir, and it smells good up close. But I want a tree or wreath that fills the house with that Christmasy smell.

Get tree clippings they will add that Christmasy smell ! Our local Lowe's and Home depot give away the clippings .

Our Christmas trees (four so far, and DW is looking for another empty corner...) all smell like dead dinousaurs. ;) Real trees just don't seem to make it through the season here in the desert- we ended up replacing our last real tree in a frantic rush on the day before Christmas. The needles started falling off as soon as we put it up, (three full weeks before Christmas :whistle:....) then the branches all started curling up and by Christmas Eve it looked something like you would see on a Charlie Brown Christmas special. I think it was a distribution logistics failure- they probably cut the tree in July in the Yukon and then shipped it to Arizona by stagecoach.:( So now we celebrate the season with OPEC.

We have a pretty but plastic tree in the lobby.

Fire code doesn't allow the good-smelling flammable kind :(

ta,
mew

We have always had a real tree, and different types through the decades, and for the life of me I cannot remember ever noticing the smell except when they come into the house and when we take them out. So imho it doesn't really matter what variety of tree you get.

What tree? There is a mesquite nearby.

Oh, right - people put up Xmas trees this year.

Forgot about that!

Audrey

I have small white lights on a giant (live) palm in my living room. I leave these lights on all year long as it is festive on the rare occasions when I entertain. I go south for Christmas every year so I don't bother much with decorating here in PA---creche belonging to parents on dining table with many candles, papier mache angels on mantel(given to my Mom by one of her long ago teacher friends), simple fresh blue spruce wreath on front door made by co-worker from a tree on her farm, shrug filled with antique ornaments.

Did real trees for about 35 years. A few years ago bought an antique silver tree, revolving stand, and rotating light wheel that I bought off of E-bay. Only put it up once. Have been lazy and Christmas hasn't been celebrated here in a couple of years (been going to different daughters' houses), so I drag our 7' cactus in front of the front windows, and wrap it in red lights and balls. Looks really good, tall and skinny, doesn't take up much room, and I don't have to throw it out when the season's over.

We have a grand fir in my house - smells citrusy :)

Lots of other more piney smelling cuttings spread out throughout the house - very festive and giving off a bit of pine smell...

At DBF's, we will be putting up the "faux" tree this weekend...

No trees or anything here, but I sure like the smell of Balsam fir. When I walk around home and see a balsam tree I always crunch a few needles and take a huff. :)

Last edited:
We put up the teeny tiny ceramic tree with lights mom made years ago in a senior craft class. I get my whiffs from the corner hardware store where 8 foot trees go for $65.00.

One of the bennies from my former employment was a nice smelling wreath which the boss always gave to me because he doesn’t celebrate Christmas, it was an annual gift from a colleague who actually knew the boss well socially, go figure. I can be very happy without real greenery at home, all things considered.:D

We have a noble and while it's very fresh (cut by us) I agree the smell is faint. Some years I've had some garland made of something called ground cedar and it smelled fantastic :)

I prefer Douglas firs, due to their scent. They are very messy, but who cares? :D
No trees or anything here, but I sure like the smell of Balsam fir. When I walk around home and see a balsam tree I always crunch and few needles and take a huff. :)

OK, I'm not the only one so I will admit it. Although I really do prefer Douglas firs, I don't have a tree either. I haven't had a Christmas tree or put up any Christmas decorations since my divorce 12 years ago. But before then, I used to always buy Douglas firs. I decorated them with the big lights that BbbamI referred to (which are "real Christmas lights" to me), many individually selected ornaments collected over the years, and tinsel. Since my ex was usually at sea at Christmastime, and since we had high ceilings, I usually got a huge 14'-16' tree a week before Christmas, brought it home, and put it up by myself for my daughter and me. If you can't smell a 14' Douglas fir you have a nasal disability! :LOL:

I do miss having a tree, or is it the sugary Christmas cookies and rum balls by the tree, shared with a child full of wonder and Christmas joy that I miss? After we move north, I may buy some lights and ornaments and start putting one up. Just a small one, though, since there isn't any kid living with me and missing her Daddy any more.

We got a Noble this year because it was on sale ($23 for a 6 ft) but we usually get the Douglas. I like the look of Noble firs better but I agree that Douglas definitely seems to be more fragrant.

A 4 foot tabletop artificial tree that smells like a cheap $10 date. :cool:

However, before I am called a total Grinch, I will bring in some cut branches from my row of real pine trees and hang them on the fireplace for some real pine smell. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom