Join Early Retirement Today

The Scent of a Tree
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Scent of a Tree

What kind of Christmas tree do you have, and how strong of a scent does it have?

We have a noble fir, and it smells good up close. But I want a tree or wreath that fills the house with that Christmasy smell.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Administrator

I prefer Douglas firs, due to their scent. They are very messy, but who cares?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can smell the plastic of our artificial tree through out the house, especially when the lights get hot!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have found that trees or wreaths only smell when they are older . So keep your tree up until the middle of January and the scent will be great .! Our tree is a douglas fir .
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We have a douglas fir that gives the room it's in a nice scent....it doesn't go any farther than that however. I wonder if those huge Christmas light bulbs they used to make cause more scent from a tree because of the heat?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #6

I gave up on live trees the year my daughter went into the hospital for a week after putting up the tree with an asthma attack. On New Years when I took it down she went back for another week. It was enough real tree for me when she was only three. My son and I just finished putting up a 16 ft artifical tree and he decorated the top half off the circular staircase and the balcony. It looks pretty and simple, we only put on about 1/3 of the ornaments.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What kind of Christmas tree do you have, and how strong of a scent does it have?

We have a noble fir, and it smells good up close. But I want a tree or wreath that fills the house with that Christmasy smell.

Get tree clippings they will add that Christmasy smell ! Our local Lowe's and Home depot give away the clippings .
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
gone traveling

Our Christmas trees (four so far, and DW is looking for another empty corner...) all smell like dead dinousaurs. Real trees just don't seem to make it through the season here in the desert- we ended up replacing our last real tree in a frantic rush on the day before Christmas. The needles started falling off as soon as we put it up, (three full weeks before Christmas ....) then the branches all started curling up and by Christmas Eve it looked something like you would see on a Charlie Brown Christmas special. I think it was a distribution logistics failure- they probably cut the tree in July in the Yukon and then shipped it to Arizona by stagecoach. So now we celebrate the season with OPEC.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a pretty but plastic tree in the lobby.

Fire code doesn't allow the good-smelling flammable kind

ta,
mew
Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My SIL has 9 Christmas trees in her house. Yeah...I said 9.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We have always had a real tree, and different types through the decades, and for the life of me I cannot remember ever noticing the smell except when they come into the house and when we take them out. So imho it doesn't really matter what variety of tree you get.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

What tree? There is a mesquite nearby.

Oh, right - people put up Xmas trees this year.

Forgot about that!

Audrey
Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #13

We have a 3 1/2 foot fiber optic tree, and a can of pine air freshener.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #14

I have small white lights on a giant (live) palm in my living room. I leave these lights on all year long as it is festive on the rare occasions when I entertain. I go south for Christmas every year so I don't bother much with decorating here in PA---creche belonging to parents on dining table with many candles, papier mache angels on mantel(given to my Mom by one of her long ago teacher friends), simple fresh blue spruce wreath on front door made by co-worker from a tree on her farm, shrug filled with antique ornaments.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Did real trees for about 35 years. A few years ago bought an antique silver tree, revolving stand, and rotating light wheel that I bought off of E-bay. Only put it up once. Have been lazy and Christmas hasn't been celebrated here in a couple of years (been going to different daughters' houses), so I drag our 7' cactus in front of the front windows, and wrap it in red lights and balls. Looks really good, tall and skinny, doesn't take up much room, and I don't have to throw it out when the season's over.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #16

We have a grand fir in my house - smells citrusy

Lots of other more piney smelling cuttings spread out throughout the house - very festive and giving off a bit of pine smell...

At DBF's, we will be putting up the "faux" tree this weekend...
Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

No trees or anything here, but I sure like the smell of Balsam fir. When I walk around home and see a balsam tree I always crunch a few needles and take a huff.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We put up the teeny tiny ceramic tree with lights mom made years ago in a senior craft class. I get my whiffs from the corner hardware store where 8 foot trees go for $65.00.

One of the bennies from my former employment was a nice smelling wreath which the boss always gave to me because he doesn’t celebrate Christmas, it was an annual gift from a colleague who actually knew the boss well socially, go figure. I can be very happy without real greenery at home, all things considered.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #19
Administrator

We have a noble and while it's very fresh (cut by us) I agree the smell is faint. Some years I've had some garland made of something called ground cedar and it smelled fantastic
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I prefer Douglas firs, due to their scent. They are very messy, but who cares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
No trees or anything here, but I sure like the smell of Balsam fir. When I walk around home and see a balsam tree I always crunch and few needles and take a huff.
OK, I'm not the only one so I will admit it. Although I really do prefer Douglas firs, I don't have a tree either. I haven't had a Christmas tree or put up any Christmas decorations since my divorce 12 years ago. But before then, I used to always buy Douglas firs. I decorated them with the big lights that BbbamI referred to (which are "real Christmas lights" to me), many individually selected ornaments collected over the years, and tinsel. Since my ex was usually at sea at Christmastime, and since we had high ceilings, I usually got a huge 14'-16' tree a week before Christmas, brought it home, and put it up by myself for my daughter and me. If you can't smell a 14' Douglas fir you have a nasal disability!

I do miss having a tree, or is it the sugary Christmas cookies and rum balls by the tree, shared with a child full of wonder and Christmas joy that I miss? After we move north, I may buy some lights and ornaments and start putting one up. Just a small one, though, since there isn't any kid living with me and missing her Daddy any more.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote