Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The search for a good cordless phone
Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only other thing that came to mind was one of these
http://www.101phones.com/browse/e627...ephone_Systems

Which I thoroughly enjoyed in the days of long conference calls from home. Tiny little thing you could clip to your pants pocket or belt and stick the headset on. Nice for keeping both hands free to do actual work while someone is jabbering at you. Way smaller and lighter than any other regular phone with a headset jack.

Surprisingly long lasting battery for such a tiny phone.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Yeah, you have to let them fully discharge at least once or twice a month or the batteries lose the ability to take a full charge.

So take them out of the cradle and let them lay around a while before putting them back in the charger.

Not so much fun if the battery finally runs down at 3am and its one of the phone models that wants to beep at you to tell you that its about out of juice...
True. Most phones have NiCad batteries, which suffer from this 'memory' effect. The frustrating thing for me is that if the unit had a NIMH battery, this would not be a problem. But, I spent way too much time once looking through phones in the store to see which had NIMH. I bet some do, but they don't list it. This is an important feature and I'd pay more for it if they would just list it!.

-ERD50

edit: I see that linked GE phone does have NIMH - great!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Another frustration in my search for a cordless phone. IMO, they are UGLY!

Our current cordless phone is black. Looks nice sitting on a dark wood bookshelf. Most of the phones I see in the stores look like some kind of techno-disco thing. Silver, chrome and white with black. How about a nice black phone - nothing glitzy?

-ERD50
Old 02-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #24
Administrator

My Uniden (link above) has an NIMH battery. And it is mostly black -- but I agree that they are all ugly.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Even the nimh and liion cells lose their lifespan from excessive charging. The nicads have problems with the memory effect from not deep cycling the battery, but the 'better' battery types lose power from too many short charge cycles.

Nimh cells also suffer from a problem (iirc) called 'reversed polarity' where one cell becomes exhausted ahead of the rest and the other cells drive it backwards, progressively damaging it. Some devices can figure this out and shut themselves off, but it sounds like just the little 'something extra' that some phone makers might leave out. After all, they get to sell you another battery, right?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We usually buy our phone's(cell and Cordless) at Costco...if something goes wrong we bring it back and get a full replacement..I did that just this week. I got the Panasonic KX-TG5777 with three handsets answering machine and etc..it replaced the other Panasonic that was an older model with 2 hansets... that one was only 6 months old the answer machine just died on it...it is very easy to use and set up we have not replaced any batteries yet not sure of the cost and where you would get them, we kept the 3rd handset for and extra if and when we need it. It does seem as though none of these phones last long any more.

Kathyet
Old 03-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

We went with the Uniden 5.8 GHz that we found at a San Antonio Office Depot. Panasonic has a couple nice models already mentioned by other posters, too, although I don't know how well they work in practice. After a couple weeks' use the Uniden works fine and we don't even notice it. I guess that's what we look for in a good appliance-- invisibility.

The contrast with their 2.4 GHz model is amazing. An electronics engineer would have a fun time reverse-engineering the two to see why the 2.4 GHz can't detect a signal, let alone amplify it. I thought the 2.4 GHz would make a good interim phone at our rehabbing rental, but after the phone's been unplugged for a couple weeks I haven't even been able to get it to work and it's hardly worth the troubleshooting time. I'm about to let Goodwill foist it off on some unsuspecting buyer.

I think there's a market niche for a house phone that functions well yet doesn't try to do everything. Not everyone wants an ultimate Swiss Army knife. I want a volume control, a ringer control, and an answering machine... I don't really care about caller ID, personalized rings, customized phonebooks, message time limits, and all the other gazillions of features with our latest phone. (OK, admittedly the speakerphone feature is nice when you're on hold for a long time.) But apparently it's more profitable to overdesign and overcharge for a quality phone than it is to minimize features in a crappy cheap one. You can't seem to get one without the other-- once you develop a quality signal processor, the extra crap seems to be free.

It was interesting to try to figure out GE's DECT 6.0 product line. It doesn't pretend to tell you how it works-- it just admonishes you that it works better than anything else you could possibly buy. Even the number 6.0 seems to be chosen to appear "better" than 2.4 or 5.8, although (after some Internet research) I eventually learned that it operates on 1.9 GHz. (Hunh-- who woulda thought GE could claim that lower bandwidth is better.) The box and the product literature reads more like "USA Today" than "Byte".

A few other "lazy entrepreneur" comments for you aspiring tech titans:
- Now that we've finally bought a usable phone and can forget about it for a while, I can understand why the Jitterbug cell phone is so popular with senior presbyopians. ("Sorry I couldn't listen to your call, I couldn't find my reading glasses...") I can only operate a phone without glasses by memorizing the major buttons.
- A phone installation is greatly complicated by fitting its transformer power pack and a DSL filter around the base station. Those phone transformers are getting smaller, true, but it'd be great to have one the size of the receptacle plug.
- I hate having to buy a phone without being able to try it out. An in-store phone jack that could provide a dial tone and let you hear the phone in use would be great.
- Phone shopping is too hard and no fun. It's ironic that we ERs had to be on vacation to take the time to shop for an appliance. Every time we tried to do this at home we were too busy or had too many higher priorities (like surfing and recliner-sitting). Only when we were "on vacation" and had nothing better to do could we arrange our lives to spend an hour in an office-supply store without pressure to just get it done and move on to the next thing on the list. "Whaddya do all day" indeed...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
It was interesting to try to figure out GE's DECT 6.0 product line.
Not terribly well regarded so far

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...4507&s=kitchen

2.5 stars out of 5.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Custo...Review.do#tabs

3.3 out of 5
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
...I like what I'm hearing, and we're leaning toward the 5.8 GHz Unidens. (More bandwidth!) Thanks for everyone's input...
We like ours and evaluated them on epinions:
http://www.epinions.com/content_241497378436
Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

One data point: bought a two-handset 5.8GHz Uniden from Home Depot. Sucked big time... Lots of noise and interference, especially from a Valley Girl "neighbor", whose every call was clearly audible...

Not sure of the model number, but a lower end model, considering the $50 price tag.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote