Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The seed catalogs are in!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The seed catalogs are in!!!

In my mind this could have gone in several categories, but when in doubt this is safest.

Anyway, Cindy and I have a huge pile of seed catalogs to start going through to plan this year's garden. They are my coping strategy for a guy who really doesn't like winter all that much.

Trying some different tactics this year. ONLY two varieties of anything allowed in the garden, and only starting sufficient seeds to produce the number of plants we want instead of the whole packet!!! We hope this will keep the garden to a more manageable size.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I used to love the seed catalogs! I'd start so many trays of plants in the big foam trays, with lights and all that. Another hobby that I just don't have time for any more--I can't wait till I can do that again.
We'd always go in on the seed order with other folks, so we didn't have such an endless supply of tiny plants and nowhere to put them!
Sigh.
Do you order from Park Seed? They are in Greenwood, about 3-4 hours from here. A really neat operation, with robotic order picking of the packets in the warehouse. Their display gardens are fascinating, I've heard.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a bunch of seed catalogs I'm going through this weekend. I have 2 gardens to plant; one at home and one at a demonstration garden where I volunteer. Fortunately, I get to eat from both.

I limit my home garden to my favorite foods; tomatoes, zucchini, butternut and cantaloupe.

This year I may add a 4th raised bed for my vegetables. I just bought a small greenhouse so should be starting seedlings in February. It should be a good gardening year. Can't wait.

For the demonstration garden, we order a lot of seeds from Renee's garden. I'm going to get more heirloom seeds this year, so may order from Seed Savers too.

Happy gardening.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #4

yikes. i'm sitting here on death watch because of seeds. taking care of brother's dog while he's in buffalo skiing. we had winter winds hit florida last night, tearing up my sandbox tree. seed pods fell and the dog was munching on one while i was raking.

the tree sap is used for poisoned darts though the seeds are a purgative. guess i won't have to get any epicac. anyway, the leaves of the tree are also good for eczema.

you can buy the seeds here HURA CREPITANS L - POSSUM WOOD. or i can send you some for free just in case you require poisoning a few darts, or apparently, dogs. happy planting everyone.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Sarah you have to make time for some pleasure in your life too. Maybe just one small 4'x4' box or some containers. We gave our neighbor two tomato plants last spring that were planted in recycled 6 gallon chlorine buckets from our swimming pool. He and Kathy took really good care of them, they reached over 7' tall, and they had fresh juicy tomatoes all summer. He's already requested two more for this year. That's all the garden he wants tho. Happy to share.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherneckPA View Post
Anyway, Cindy and I have a huge pile of seed catalogs to start going through to plan this year's garden. They are my coping strategy for a guy who really doesn't like winter all that much.

Trying some different tactics this year. ONLY two varieties of anything allowed in the garden, and only starting sufficient seeds to produce the number of plants we want instead of the whole packet!!! We hope this will keep the garden to a more manageable size.
I've been perusing the catalogs too! I can hardly wait to play in the dirt again! I always start WAY too many plants....but my neighbors are happy about it, because I always give the extras away!

I usually plant about a dozen bell pepper plants, half in a raised bed and half in plastic mop buckets (with drain holes).....always have a bumper crop! I also plant some variation of sweet banana peppers, and some jalapeños. I plant 3 varieties of tomatoes....grape, cherry, and some variety of bush tomato. Also grow zucchini in a raised-bed and in a large wooden half barrel. Then there's the other 'standards'....onion, garlic, radishes, mesclun, basil, parsley, as well as other random herbs. I also grow oodles & loads of both annual and perennial flowers, grasses, vines, and shrubs.

If I see something interesting in a catalog or at my local greenhouse, I'll grab one or two, and make room for it somewhere!

I usually order seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds, Burpee or Landreth Seeds. I've also ordered seeds from Parks and have been happy with them. For plants, I like Klehm's Song Sparrow Farm and Nursery, Bluestone Perennials, and (new to me last year) Forest Farm.

I was VERY impressed with Forest Farm! Their catalog is huge! Not much for 'pictures' or drawings....but descriptions and growing info can't be rivaled. They're in Oregon....I'm in Illinois....and everything that I ordered from them arrived in EXCELLENT condition...and promptly! They're great to deal with, very knowledgeable, and they can answer just any of your questions! They're packaging for shipment is the best I've ever seen!

Before I order or do business with anyone (for my garden) I ALWAYS check them out on the Garden Watchdog. You can search by name or zipcode.

I can feel Spring coming!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Good grief!

There are other crazed gardeners here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I've been perusing the catalogs too! I can hardly wait to play in the dirt again! I always start WAY too many plants....but my neighbors are happy about it, because I always give the extras away!

I usually plant about a dozen bell pepper plants, half in a raised bed and half in plastic mop buckets (with drain holes).....always have a bumper crop! I also plant some variation of sweet banana peppers, and some jalapeños. I plant 3 varieties of tomatoes....grape, cherry, and some variety of bush tomato. Also grow zucchini in a raised-bed and in a large wooden half barrel. Then there's the other 'standards'....onion, garlic, radishes, mesclun, basil, parsley, as well as other random herbs. I also grow oodles & loads of both annual and perennial flowers, grasses, vines, and shrubs.

If I see something interesting in a catalog or at my local greenhouse, I'll grab one or two, and make room for it somewhere!

I usually order seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds, Burpee or Landreth Seeds. I've also ordered seeds from Parks and have been happy with them. For plants, I like Klehm's Song Sparrow Farm and Nursery, Bluestone Perennials, and (new to me last year) Forest Farm.

I was VERY impressed with Forest Farm! Their catalog is huge! Not much for 'pictures' or drawings....but descriptions and growing info can't be rivaled. They're in Oregon....I'm in Illinois....and everything that I ordered from them arrived in EXCELLENT condition...and promptly! They're great to deal with, very knowledgeable, and they can answer just any of your questions! They're packaging for shipment is the best I've ever seen!

Before I order or do business with anyone (for my garden) I ALWAYS check them out on the Garden Watchdog. You can search by name or zipcode.

I can feel Spring coming!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #8

Guess I dont have much of a green thumb I just buy the grown little plants at Home Depot and plant in the spring. Oh but ya I look at the catalogs too!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Good grief!

There are other crazed gardeners here!
Darn right!

Yesterday, after I shoveled the walks, and brushed off the cars, I swept the snow off of my patio chair, and sat out there (in single-digit temperatures) to plan out some of my gardens!

Heck, the sun was shining brightly, the birds were swarming the feeders & the still-standing flower heads, the fresh air was invigorating, and I developed a few planting ideas.

Yep, I'm crazed!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote