Join Early Retirement Today

The ‘spendy’ time of the year
Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The ‘spendy’ time of the year

The spendie time of the year.

There was a frying pan in the kitchen that the Mrs like to remind me I ruined by putting it into cold water before it properly cooled. Having adopted the ‘never admit to anything mantra’ long ago I simply ignored the accusation and went about my business. Tactical denial is a husband thing (like the stealth purge), Well ok maybe a spouse thing. Then the standoff ensued -It needed to be replaced but doing so was king of an admission - almost a kind of victory for the Mrs. The trouble was that this, just the right size pan, no longer sat level on the stove hence it rocked and heated unevenly. I discovered if I Stuck a can or something under the handle and the rocking was somewhat abated. A decade passed (yeah crazy I know) and a A few weeks ago I informed the Mrs we were going to replace it. Thankfully only minor mention was made of responsibility. So after a little research, coupon in hand, off we went to Bed Bath and Beyond We bought this beautiful, deeply discounted, black All- Clad frying pan with glass lid $80. Ive tried it out for a few weeks now and it is the ‘bees knees’. It cooks evenly, the bacon comes out to perfection and nothing sticks. - and the oh those omelets are a delight. The old frying pan that probably dated from my bachelor days was quietly dispatched forgotten but only by me.

I tell you this story not because we are eccentrics its just simply we are not spenders. Good enough is often good enough for far too long. There are two exceptions Christmas and travel. But even in Christmas there is a pragmatism in our holiday gift giving. At this very moment in the living room sits a box containing my Christmas Gift - a fancy, deeply discounted (of course), Breville toaster. The house we rented in Virginia Beach had one and I tried it out and fell in love it. The old toaster will be moved to our Poconos to replace the fire hazard that we presently have there. Nothing gets wasted. This pragmatism comes from my wife’s family.. where I remember Mountainous piles of gifts for the kids included jars of Jelly.

Does you follow a pragmatic holiday season?

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #2

The kitchen is one area where we tend to spend more (for us). DW, DS, and I all enjoy cooking.

We just added a Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven to replace old toaster oven. Our kitchen isn't big, so any appliance that multi-tasks is a win for us. DW and DS like the newer non-stick pans. I like the original - cast iron.

Other than a few breakfasts at a local diner, we seldom eat out. Even when travelling, we'll often stay where preparing meals remains an option.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My son inherited our "noodle pot". A cheap, Wearever I think?, aluminum pot with a heavy glass lid that almost fits but leaks enough heat to prevent boilovers. Works perfect for noodles, none of that fancy pasta stuff but perfectly done noodles. Ugly as can be. We've got other nicer pots but none that are the same size or cook noodles as well as that old pot. He just got married so I'm hoping we'll maybe get it gifted back to us this Christmas.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
The kitchen is one area where we tend to spend more (for us). DW, DS, and I all enjoy cooking.

We just added a Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven to replace old toaster oven. Our kitchen isn't big, so any appliance that multi-tasks is a win for us. DW and DS like the newer non-stick pans. I like the original - cast iron.

Other than a few breakfasts at a local diner, we seldom eat out. Even when travelling, we'll often stay where preparing meals remains an option.
+1

DW & I both come from backgrounds in the Culinary arts early on in our working lives and have continued cooking together at home throughout our 40+ year marriage. We find that spending the extra $$ for quality cookware, knives and food prep equipment more than pays for itself over the long haul.
“Every tick-tock is a second of life that passes by, that flees never to repeat itself. And it holds such intensity, such interest that the only problem is knowing how to live. May each person solve it as best they can.”

Frida Kahlo
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

The spendie time of the year.

..snip..

Does you follow a pragmatic holiday season?
We surprised each other this year. I bought her 4 new tires and an oil change. She bought me 4 new tires too.

Does that count?
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I stealth-purged some tattered, stained, droopy old sweatshirts and pants of Mr. A's, and replaced them with expensive, stylish new ones that were on sale.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
We surprised each other this year. I bought her 4 new tires and an oil change. She bought me 4 new tires too.
So now you are both retired and re-tired!

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Also: Last year I dithered and dithered over a gorgeous, hand-made exotic wood jewelry box by an American wood artist. It was too expensive, too big, a burglar would steal the box over the jewelry, I didn't need it, etc....

This year I went back to the artist's web site, determined to order a box...and he's dead.

So buy what you want when you want it, for one day it may be gone.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Also: Last year I dithered and dithered over a gorgeous, hand-made exotic wood jewelry box by an American wood artist. It was too expensive, too big, a burglar would steal the box over the jewelry, I didn't need it, etc....

This year I went back to the artist's web site, determined to order a box...and he's dead.

So buy what you want when you want it, for one day it may be gone.
Good example!

Some things like that - unique craft piece that you would enjoy owning - that falls out of the "don't really need it" category.

Sorry for your loss!!!
Old 11-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #11

$400 bucks for Wagyu and $300 for Cognac so far. Me thinks a few hundred for Caviar will be in order.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Just used this in my homemade fruitcakes. Not $300, but not bad either:

https://www.remymartin.com/us/collec...-accord-royal/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
$400 bucks for Wagyu and $300 for Cognac so far. Me thinks a few hundred for Caviar will be in order.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:

After paying hunt club dues, out of state deer tags, and other associated costs, my venison is at the same price as Wagyu beef.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

As i read this, I am taking a rest from bringing the Xmas decoration boxes down from the attic. I am also watching Ohio State kick the heck out of Michigan!

Anyway, today I convinced DW that about 1/2 the attic stash of Xmas decorations are not used anymore and need to be gone. Well, we compromised on about 1/4 of them for the trash can. Even the kids don't' want this stuff anymore (last year I tried to pawn some off on them without success).

I am becoming a minimalist and DW is following suit, although slowly.

As far as Xmas spending, we still spend on the kids/grandkids. but it's getting less each year. We have everything we need at our ages (70's) and giving each other a meaningful gift is getting harder and harder.

I did buy DW a set of new tires for her SUV last week! I guess that will count as her (early) Xmas gift? Right??
Old 11-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
After paying hunt club dues, out of state deer tags, and other associated costs, my venison is at the same price as Wagyu beef.
Yeah. I'mma gonna get me another boat soon and that "free" fish will be more expensive than lobster.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1
Blew some dough too.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Yeah. I'mma gonna get me another boat soon and that "free" fish will be more expensive than lobster.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #18

Quote:

We deer hunt near where we live, on some land we own, so the price of venison for us was not too bad (we got two deer this Fall). But.........I just bought $1000 worth of grass-fed beef and lamb from a local farmer, so I managed to blow some dough there.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

I love pragmatic gifts. They are the best.
I also pay for conveniences like grocery delivery, live in au pair, and house cleaners.
We also spend $ on hotels. We have a family of 6 and stay in AirBnBs pretty much exclusively. Average price is probably $180-300/night, but always memorable: looking over the Christmas markets in Prague, staying in a half-timber house on the canals in Colmar, huge house on Lake Bled.....all amazing memories.
No extravagant gifts otherwise. We have 2006 vehicles, I’m short so economy airline seats are just fine, and I buy clothes from Goodwill.
Fairfax2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Just used this in my homemade fruitcakes. Not $300, but not bad either:

https://www.remymartin.com/us/collec...-accord-royal/
Wow.... those are expensive fruit cakes !

I personally like fruit cakes especially dark ones with lots of fruit.