The spuds are in the ground ...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With a high of mid 60s expected I got out early and hit the big box store for a suv load of soil, amendments etc., unfortunately they were wet and heavy, too heavy. I loaded them in the suv and it was a exhausting. Brought them home and then I wheel barreled them over to the two potato plots. I then tossed them over the little deer fence.

I broke out the tiller, ripped open the bags and tilled it all in. There was a layer of leaves that made the tilling more laborious. I took a hoe and made the furrows and the Mrs took pity on this old man and cut and placed the Yukon Golds and Northland Reds ... She even covered the ‘taters’. Metal knees means I’m just a bit awkward bending. No complaints I’m out there!

After everything was put away I ran the tiller until it ran out of gas. [I do this so the carb doesn’t get gunked up - works great with the snowblower too]. I sat in driveway in my favorite chair, listening to the tiller chug away, with the old pooch at my feet. Maybe I drifted off... maybe that explains my sun burnt face.

It was a great warm sunny day to be alive, retired and gardening. I think I could get used to this.

Good perspective Ray!

Dw is starting to putz in her ~10 raised beds. That means I'll be cultivating them shortly. My job is to amend, till, then get the hell out of the way until it's time to stake the tomatoes and peppers, etc.

We've been mostly organic for many years. A few years ago, I retired the Roundup for a torch, completing the last step to organic. Besides, the torch (small flame thrower) is a hoot.

Tomorrow, I'll mow the lawn, clean up the yard, and ensure the hammock is ready for another year of leisure!

Red Badger: <b>My job is to amend, till, then get the hell out of the way...until it's time to stake the tomatoes and peppers, etc. </b>

Thanks for the chuckle...

Update: the front pots have new soil and ready for May and tomatoes and flowers. I would do more but it too breezy and chilly out there. Wintry mix expected in the next few days.

My Grandpa used the Farmers Almanac + Watkins Almanac for planting time.
Potatoes were to be planted on Good Friday.

Back
Top Bottom