Join Early Retirement Today

The story behind the picture
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The story behind the picture

I've been scanning the internet for a couple of days and am unable to find the story behind this particular homemade levy. Do any of you know who/where/how, etc? I find this particular levee fascinating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flood_farmhouse_2011.jpg (31.7 KB, 28 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Now that is a wide moat!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here you go:

Mississippi River Flooding Photos: Images Of 2011 Historic Floods

Quote:
A farmhouse is protected by a small levee while another stands flooded near Yazoo City, Miss., Thursday, May 19, 2011. For thousands of people forced from their homes by the rising Mississippi River, life has become a tedious waiting game: waiting for meals at shelters, waiting for the latest word on their flooded homes, waiting for the river to fall. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I wouldn't exactly call it a small levee.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #5

What's the story behind the picture? Where is it? Who owns it? How did they build it (must have had experience building dams because he put a good slope on both sides of the levee). How many bulldozers? How long did it take? Where did he get the tons of dirt?

So many questions....
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More than likely it will fail....

Being from East Texas you must know that they flood the Trinity river every once in awhile... there was someone who did the same as this... built a levy to protect his house...

The problem is that the water will percolate inside the levy due to the water pressure... and after awhile the moving water will wash away some part of the levy... after it is breached, the whole thing gets washed away in short order...

But, let's hope that this one stands...
Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Now I'm on a mission . A bigger photo of the surrounding area of Yazoo City, MS--the house in the above photo is in the lower left corner here. I imagine the folks involved don't have a lot of time to be writing about how they created these levees. The farmland is going to be very enriched from the flooding, I believe.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

I just love the photo of the two men at 349 Riverside. An open bottle of cheap hootch and a couple of beers and probably discussing ER.

Bet there has been a many a good conversation transpire on that porch.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In this picture:

It doesn't look as big (sun wasn't as low). Note also that the water only comes to the foot of the levy (so far, anyway). The neighbor's house isn't flooded yet.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #10

We used about 50 tons of dirt to rebuild our earthen dam - which is less than 100' long. I cannot imagine how many tons was needed for this levee. I'm impressed.

Do you think the guy is still on the farm?

What photo of 349 Riverside?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if this is the story about those properties being protected:

Yazoo farmer builds levee - WLBT 3 - Jackson, MS:
Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

Few more pictures here of various houses

Mississippi River flooding: Residents build homemade dams to saves houses | Mail Online

Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post

What photo of 349 Riverside?
Here is the souce: Huffington Post
Here is 349 Riverside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 349 Riverside.JPG (146.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #14

Good for all of them. Ya gotta at least try.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've always felt that the old manually filled sandbags were a ridiculously inefficient solution to flooding problems. At least now these bladder barriers appear more often:

I guess as long as the floodwaters are below the top of the water-filled bladder, then it won't float up.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
I've been scanning the internet for a couple of days and am unable to find the story behind this particular homemade levy. Do any of you know who/where/how, etc? I find this particular levee fascinating.

Here's a CNN report on this property Free Videos Online - WOW! (see "Man turns farm into Island" dated May 20).

It looks like they've covered the outside of it with weighted-down plastic or tarps, which may help prevent the water penetration and washing-away.

omni
Old 05-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #17

omni - Thanks for your perseverance! Thanks to you I also found the video on YouTube sans commercial.

Now we know the story behind the picture.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Nice that it was God that protected the house. Of course, it might have been easier if He hadn't sent the water, but whatever.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Here is the souce: Huffington Post
Here is 349 Riverside!
Born in that town and lived there my first 18 years. But I don't think I know Earl and Luke.

Checked it out on Google maps. This address is within the "ring levee", which, as the name implies, surrounds the town. The only real danger to them is from the north -- Bayou De Glaise which floods from the river, and from the east, the Atchafalaya river. The levees are massive. I do remember them leaking some in 1973. And no, you simply cannot compare rivers like the Atchafalaya and Mississippi to, say, the Trinity river in the DFW area -- that would be laughable.

About the time I was finishing high school, a family friend who typically had three sheets to the wind told me to never forget where I came from. Well, folks, it ain't much, but that's where I'm from, and I haven't forgotten.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Born in that town and lived there my first 18 years. But I don't think I know Earl and Luke.

Checked it out on Google maps. This address is within the "ring levee", which, as the name implies, surrounds the town. The only real danger to them is from the north -- Bayou De Glaise which floods from the river, and from the east, the Atchafalaya river. The levees are massive. I do remember them leaking some in 1973. And no, you simply cannot compare rivers like the Atchafalaya and Mississippi to, say, the Trinity river in the DFW area -- that would be laughable.

About the time I was finishing high school, a family friend who typically had three sheets to the wind told me to never forget where I came from. Well, folks, it ain't much, but that's where I'm from, and I haven't forgotten.

My reference was to the Trinity river down by the bay.... after the dam... IIRC the release of water was greater than Niagara Falls... not a small river...