Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

The straw that broke the camels back...
Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It started with...
1) We had a bad rain storm... that rain was blowing sideways with black clouds and wicked thunder. The next day Mrs Ray: "Ray come here for a minute" - always bad news. The stain on the ceiling she showed me means that the problem with the new roof hadn't been fixed.

2) The project I am working on (I am a developer) has been going poorly. I subsequently learned that I hadn't been given all the data: My partner in the venture hasn't been carrying her weight. My boss knows this and has spoken to both her and her superior.

3) Friday (today) I normally work from home but today I went in late to talk to the boss and show I'm really trying to get the work done. Half the way there I realize my parking access card is in my old CRV with my son (17) who's working the 9AM-1PM shift. Today he is chasing carts. He's been working at a local supermarket for a couple of weeks now. I turn around, drive there and arrive around 9:45. I spy my car in the lot and drive over. I get out and immediately notice the car is running - I think what? I then see my son sitting in the front seat with the seat back, air conditioning blasting with a towel over his face... I sense I am going to lose it in public... I tell him give me my access card and don't ever let me catch you... (You get the drift) and drive off. My blood pressure no doubt is spiking and I am angry... I call the wife on the speaker phone and tell her what our son was doing (A major vent session).. Later he shows no evidence of being contrite and managed to anger her further. She tossed him out of the house for a couple of hours. I come home and he's full of excuses; I wasn't having any of it --I suggest he retire to his bedroom.

I count my blessings every day, and I know in the big scheme of things this is nothing. I know my mood could have me make some bad parenting decisions but I tell the story to my colleagues at work... and they prove laughter is the best medicine...
I'll let him think about it for a while..

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Any update on the roof leak?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Monday their Q/c guy comes again...my frustration with them is beyond belief.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So he got in trouble for goofing off at work?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
gone traveling

Don't sweat the small stuff. I'm sure he got the message.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boys will be boys, could be worse (a lot worse).
Old 07-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe it was his break.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
1. Running the old car that doesn't need additional time on the engine
2. Wasting gas
3. If you not doing carts ...you are bagging or helping out..

Old 07-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Maybe it was his break.

He was only at work for 45 minutes at that point...

Old 07-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #10

Lions eat their young for a reason.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #11

My teenage years were so awkward I'm surprised I was able to walk through them without constantly falling over. I did the same kinds of things your DS did all the time, and was constantly being called on the carpet for one idiotic thing or another. Here's the catch: I didn't have a clue. To me, they weren't excuses at all; I just couldn't see what I was doing. For some males, teenage years include a painful lack of common sense.

Decades later and I'm the most sensible (perhaps too sensible) of my siblings. Things work out. Yes, it's frustrating for parents, but its part of the package when you choose to have kids. Besides, you'll get your revenge: now my parents act like children and frustrate all of us! (I'll never forget my shock years ago at hearing myself blurt to my mother "I'm not comfortable with you doing that" regarding some harebrained financial move she was going to make)
Old 07-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

The roof may not be the problem. A sideways wind blown rain can send the water up under the eaves and cause the water staining and damage. The roof may actually be fine. We had this happen several years ago. All was well and still is with our roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

that's a great story. I have no advice, as I'm sure you handled it just fine.

Thanks for sharing. My kids are in their mid-late 30s, but I caught them doing worse things. And I didn't get caught, doing worse things.

But, like you, I would have been more than a bit steamed if I had happened upon the same scene.

I thought this was going to be a " last straw and I told the boss I'm done" story.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Was it really hot out there in the parking lot?

Maybe he just got done pushing a train of 20 carts up a hill?

I thought you caught him with a crack pipe...
Old 07-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
+1 Or otherwise "pleasuring" himself in some fashion...
Old 07-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Was it really hot out there in the parking lot?

Maybe he just got done pushing a train of 20 carts up a hill?

I was thinking he was pretending he had a job and would just take off for 4 hours a day.....I guess I watch too much t.v.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Yeah Ray two thoughts:

1 a year from now you will have forgotten what day of the week this occurred

2 not to criticize your writing style but there was a bit of a gap between towell over head and storming off lol
Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #18

Ray...
I don't understand what exactly your son was doing and why you were so angry about it.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'm lost too. The post is about as cryptic as the titles the OP uses.

Did the kid get fired, and spends the day sitting in the CRV with the AC on? Was he goofing off from his cart toting job?

ooops, I see there were a bunch of posts asking similar questions since I reloaded the page. Some more creative than I was going to type (but I was thinking some of those thoughts!).

-ERD50
Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Now that I've had a chance to read some more, I'll add to my previous post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
My teenage years were so awkward I'm surprised I was able to walk through them without constantly falling over. I did the same kinds of things your DS did all the time, and was constantly being called on the carpet for one idiotic thing or another. Here's the catch: I didn't have a clue. To me, they weren't excuses at all; I just couldn't see what I was doing. For some males, teenage years include a painful lack of common sense. ...
Yep, I'm just simply amazed when I see some teenager on TV that seems so accomplished and comfortable with public speaking, and can respond to a question on the spot with something more than "ummm, fine". I guess I turned out mostly OK, but I wonder what I could have been with that kind of a head start.

To the OP - if many of the people on this forum could not figure out what you were talking about, and we are adults, and many of us have successfully raised kids to adulthood, I'm betting that your son won't understand a word of what you say, or try to non-verbally communicate. Don't assume anything.

-ERD50
Closed Thread