Join Early Retirement Today

The sudden urge to move
Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The sudden urge to move

I love where I live, love my house and my DW wife and I both have good jobs. However, I frequently get urges to move and try something new. Anyone else in the same boat? I've moved a few times (Boston, Hawaii, now North Carolina) but would love to live out West or even overseas for a year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are very much like this. Seems we just really like the adventure and excitement of learning about a new place.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I love where I live, love my house and my DW wife and I both have good jobs. However, I frequently get urges to move and try something new. Anyone else in the same boat? I've moved a few times (Boston, Hawaii, now North Carolina) but would love to live out West or even overseas for a year.
Then by all means don't go into investment properties.

Yes, I do, too. Reminds me of the Eagles song Over the Green Hill or some such. Then you realize that people are great or sucky for the same reason everywhere. Some places are more great or less sucky because the overall culture is a better fit, but on a person-to-person level, you're going to run into the same range of people.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #4

This is one of the problems with the housing market. We also like to move frequently, but we'd take a real bath trying to sell our home right now. So we're pretty much stuck where we are. Not that we dislike it, at least we're in a pretty nice place, but there's something psychologically confining about not being able to move if we wanted to.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Same boat as you homeowners with good jobs and a pleasant little existence, yet we get the urge all the time. It often culminates in a craiglist session looking at places to live.

We're currently in the Phoenix area, and the recent "let's move!" phases have included:
- New Orleans
- Austin
- Northern California
- Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater
- Charleston, SC
- Santa Fe

It never ends. Matter are even more complicated by wife being a lawyer would have to factor in whatever rules they have for admittance to bar and what time/expense that could involve before being able to work again.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad there are others like me out there. I think this latest surge was from a combination of reading an outdoor magazine, recently talking to a person who lives in Hawaii and another who lived in London for a year and loved the experience.

Seems like whenever I travel to a new place I get the "post vacation blues" on the plane ride home because I want to explore and experience more. I wish I could retire at the age of 29 for one year to travel and then go back to my career
Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of us is and the other isn't.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Then you realize that people are great or sucky for the same reason everywhere. Some places are more great or less sucky because the overall culture is a better fit, but on a person-to-person level, you're going to run into the same range of people.
You expressed that really well. I feel the same way about the people.

I do think it's fun exploring a new local culture, though, and local history. Also I like unpacking my stuff and seeing what it looks like in a new house or apartment, and arranging it and so on. And for some reason (hush!! seems irrational to me) I like learning all the new street names and learning how to get around without a map.

I have moved around a lot so far in life and one thing I DON'T like about that, is not having any roots. No matter where you are, you aren't from anywhere and you don't have long time friends there. You are never a native, always a rolling stone.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #9

We've just moved for the 14th time in the last 20 years. During that period we have lived in 7 different countries and 11 different cities. I've not yet finished unpacking all the boxes from this last move and find it does get tiring. However, if the opportunity came up to move somewhere we really wanted to go I would be the first to say yes. We would love to move to Amsterdam or Paris for a while.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #10

Damn you are a braver man than I, I'd love to do that DangerMouse but I just don't have the stones given careers, dog, and cats.

Well actually I could probably do without the cats.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I wish I could retire at the age of 29 for one year to travel and then go back to my career
Yup! There are plenty of books by people who did just that. I said that in my 20s, and my 30s, yet tomorrow off I go to the cubicle.

It's such a strange equation, what would one year off be worth compared to the hit on career in peak accumulation phase. I'm a software developer so I suspect it would be tough one.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We have had the urge in the past, but increasingly less so as the years go by. Having small children, dogs and a cat militate against it, and we are increasingly settled into where we live now. Having the travel trailer and the ability to go wherever we like for a visit helps scratch the itch as well.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If it's not too late to enlist, I think Uncle Sam will help you out with those urges.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I would like to move, but right now I cannot find a job I like in any of the places I would like to move to.

Just wait till I ER!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have moved all my life, so it's been odd being in one house for 16 years, not sure I like it. DW and I would love to move to, but a) it would be crazy to walk away from a good job right now and b) we can't figure out where we want to go next. Every place we think we like is either too expensive or undesirable weather (funny how they correlate). And with real estate expenses, we don't want to move until we are pretty sure we know where to go. We want moderate temps, low cost of living and near water. Just some we've crossed off in our "search":
coastal New England too expensive
Florida lived there, yuck
Midwest live there, yuck
Madison WI way too cold
Naperville IL way too cold
Charleston SC too hot, a little expensive
Wilmington NC ?
Austin TX too hot
San Diego or San Fran way too expensive
Seattle WA area
various small towns W MI along Lake Mich too cold & expensive
Portland/Eugune OR too expensive & rainy
Annapolis MD too expensive
Asheville NC friends there tell us it's gone downhill
Sante Fe NM expensive and DW says NO
Gaithersburg MD (The Kentlands) too expensive
and so on, and so on...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Prior to Katrina - greater Kansas City was NOT on my list - here it is going on three years and I haven't even done any real serious poking around yet.

Then again my 'planed' six months in New Orleans turned into thirty years.

Anymore - I don't take place that serious anymore - go where 'the fates' bring me, check out what the locals do and copy them.

Have yet to check out Branson or take my fishing pole to the Missouri Ozarks.

Looks like the old Family Reunion fell thru in Baja this year - one nephews wife is pregnant and doesn't want to travel, one went to work for the Border Patrol, and one won't fly or leave their dogs.

Long gone are the days when we would hook up the camper and go to the head of the driveway - flip a coin whether to head east or west on vacation.

heh heh heh - Still indulge the 'See The USA in Your Chevrolet' and roll down the road 4-6 times a year. But she's from Georgia and still don't like north yet - nixed sking or snowmobile's last winter - and I didn't extoll the joy of ice fishing.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, we have that itch too. Moved almost every two years until settled down 13 years ago to raise a son in one place. Now the itch is coming back. But frequent moving can be expensive. There are transaction costs. The better model for us may be a "home base" with lots of traveling, perhaps the RV lifestyle....
Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Yup! There are plenty of books by people who did just that. I said that in my 20s, and my 30s, yet tomorrow off I go to the cubicle.

It's such a strange equation, what would one year off be worth compared to the hit on career in peak accumulation phase. I'm a software developer so I suspect it would be tough one.
Yeah, books and Matt Harding who's sponsored to travel by Stride Gum -

That's not a bad job!!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've been feeling that way for 29 years, ever since I moved to East Nowhere, just south of the Arctic Circle, in 1980 and saw a dinosaur egg rolling down Main St.
Just kidding...I have been very lucky to have traveled for w*rk and pleasure, stateside and internationally. Now that I'm FIREd, I can actually stop and smell the roses and cow manure just spread in the fields only 1/10 mile away.
My live elsewhere itch has to wait for dh2b to retire in 10 years. I can handle that as long as we get to travel somewhere exotic every other year. This summer is a 12 day Mediterranean cruise.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #20

These days we take a one weeker and a two weeker every year, with the two week trip always somewhere overseas.

Doesn't help to quench the hit the road thirst at all.