The Surprising Science of Happiness

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have discussed happiness here before.

I ran across this excellent TED talk on the science of happiness by Harvard psychologist Dan Gilbert. It clarified a few things for me.

Dan Gilbert, author of "Stumbling on Happiness," challenges the idea that we’ll be miserable if we don’t get what we want. Our "psychological immune system" lets us feel truly happy even when things don’t go as planned.

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy#t-988704

omni

I have watched that enjoyed it as well. The TED talks on happiness have influenced how we spend our retirement and especially how we spend our money in retirement. There is the advertisers' version of happiness and the latest science version and luckily the science version is a lot less expensive.

I had a friend back in university who always chafed when his father complained of going to work in the morning, the next day, etc. As my friend said, his dad is going to go to work anyways, so why complain about it, just accept it already. I try to use this thinking in my life, such as being overly cautious or being irrationally anxious about some event. I invariably fail.
Dr. Gilbert's TED Talk puts some perspective to my perceptive friend.

Back
Top Bottom