Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mozilla Nightly (FF 8)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

For the most part firefox on linux. The idea of running one version back has merit unless there are obvious advantages.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #23

Firefox, occasionally IE9 because one will sometimes display a site better than the other.

No comment on the intelligence of the fruit users.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Firefox. I don't run Windows so IE is definitely out. I run Firefox under the Fedora operating system (Linux based product from Red Hat). My son is a software engineer for Red Hat so he got me set up with it. Runs much faster than Windows with much less threat of viruses, spyware, etc. It has a decent user interface so it was not hard to adjust to.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Currently I am using Chrome (my favourite) except for the ER Forum and linking to the w*rk server. For those two things I use IE8. Why? Because I have found that when using Chrome on this site, clicking on thread titles or last post often comes up with a blank. W*ork server is set up only for IE.

If anyone has a solution for this problem with the ER Forum on Chrome, please let me know.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #26

This is a ridiculous and bogus study. I can only imagine the chortling glee of the authors of this farce as it is picked up and spread around the internet. Among other things, the study asserts:

Quote:
IE6 users have an average IQ score barely over 80
So to put this in context, the book Know Your Child’s IQ, Glen Wilson and Diana Grylls suggests an IQ of 90 is typical for people who find employment as manual laborers. Which would mean the study shows the AVERAGE IE6 user scores below the IQ range typical for basic manual labor. I don't believe it.

Likewise there are other similar assessments.

Kaufman, Alan S. Assessing Adolescent and Adult Intelligence. describes the typical occupations for IQ scores as follows:

WAIS-R Mean IQ Range + Occupational Category
110-112 Professional and technical
103-104 Managers, clerical, sales
100-102 Skilled workers
92-94 Semiskilled workers
87-89 Unskilled workers

So if the study it to be believed it would show that the average IE6 users is lower intelligence than typical unskilled workers.

Or to put this another way, look at educational accomplishments as described in Matarazzo, Joseph D. Wechsler's Measure and Appraisal of Adult Intelligence, 5th Edition.Oxford University Press,

IQ and Educational Equivalent
125 Mean of persons receiving Ph.D. and M.D. degrees
Mean of college graduates
Mean of high school graduates
Average for total population
About 50-50 chance of reaching ninth grade

Of course some unskilled workers are more intelligent than these sources suggest, but the study of IE6 users claims the AVERAGE is the astonishingly low IQ of 80, which puts them well under the average for High School graduates and only slightly ahead of people who barely finish middle school. I think the study authors are either making an elaborate joke or have made a great mistake in their methods. This result is nonsensical.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Over the years, I have moved from IE to Firefox to Safari. My willingness to embrace change denotes a higher IQ according to this study. It is of course no surprise to me because this "scientific" study had already established my superior intelligence:

It is finally proven: Apple users are more intelligent than PC users | Intelligent Elite
Did my DH (still an Apple user, but only because his company early on made that decision for his department) pay you to post that?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I think the study authors are either making an elaborate joke or have made a great mistake in their methods. This result is nonsensical.
So I guess you're going to continue on with IE6, huh. (FF, here.)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #29

Chrome and IE9. Chrome lately since it seems to have less bugs using Yahoo than IE8 or 9.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

FF3.5.2 because upgrades are always among my lowest priorities. In fact I think I went from IE5 or IE6 to FF a couple years ago.

Now Google+ is whining that it can't possibly work with anything less than Chrome. Yet I have everything in FF tweaked just the way I like it.

Quote:
This is a ridiculous and bogus study. I can only imagine the chortling glee of the authors of this farce as it is picked up and spread around the internet.
I think you may be missing the whole point of the study, but since you didn't fill out their website survey then we can't draw any IQ conclusions...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #31

FF 5.0
Been using FF since 2003 or so and I have seen a few quirks along the way but it is head and shoulders better (for me) than IE.

Now they ought to do a IQ study on what ISPs folks use. That would be fun.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Chrome.
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #33

Quote:
I think you may be missing the whole point of the study, but since you didn't fill out their website survey then we can't draw any IQ conclusions...
I thought I quoted the relevant point of the study. "IE6 users have an average IQ score barely over 80"

What did you think the whole point of the study was?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I used to wonder about IQ scores. Now you have me thinking about it again. IIRC, IQ means Intelligence Quotient, or the ratio of mental age to biological age, or mental maturity. I can see high IQ's in young people, but at some point doesn't your biological age catch up and you become 100 again?

I suppose that it is actually a ratio of an individual's measured intelligence compared to the average (or median) measured intelligence of the same age group. ("Intelligence" being measured by a standard test, for problem-solving ability, I imagine.) I am being lazy so I won't bother to Google it.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

uhmmm only my government clients are asking me to still support ie6 and xp ...
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #36

Chrome
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
uhmmm only my government clients are asking me to still support ie6 and xp ...
Old 07-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I thought I quoted the relevant point of the study. "IE6 users have an average IQ score barely over 80"
What did you think the whole point of the study was?
Marketing & publicity!

Look at the attention it's attracted so far.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #39

This has now been confirmed to be a hoax.

BBC News - Internet Explorer story was bogus

No matter how ridiculous the claims, and they were preposterous, it did attract plenty of attention.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #40

I wonder what Bill Gates and Paul Allen use?

Still on IE7 (had to check). My firm uses IE and I refuse to waste my limited IQ and time learning and managing two systems