Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
...you might drive him away.
I get the idea he will only accept rides from those who drive economy cars.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Big trucks definately have their place. As Rambler said, it is the people driving the big SUVs or trucks as status symbols that really don't haul/tow things around that seem like the idiots.
And as mentioned above, higher prices at the gas pump should help solve that issue. Either that or they will continue to work to support their habit, paying into SS for a longer period of time

Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #23

My Jeep Grand Cherokee only gets 17 mpg so I'm working from home more, and staying home more to save $.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think big SUV's and trucks serve a purpose if used for work and/or towing applications but seem to be a waste of resources and money if used as just a single occupant daily driver.That said if you want to spend all that extra money to drive something thats considered a gas guzzler its your money and i'm sure the gas companies,government and foreign oil producers thank you for your patronage,I fill up my Toyota Yaris once every 3 weeks for $25,it averages around 40mpg, it seems to me in these days of high gas prices its a sensible and economical way to get around.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's see.....

A 95 Monte Carlo that gets 17 mpgs.... not good either

Just bought a 04 Explorer.... for family... gets about 16 to 17... so the same as the car, but can haul a lot more....

And a 04 TL that gets about 24 to 25, but uses premium....

As someone else said... way back when I had a Mazda GLC that got 35 MPGs... but had something like a 75 to 80 hp engine.... people will not buy a car with less than 100 today (IMO)... believe me, it is not just the SUVs that are the problem...

Take a look at the new Civic. The sport one has about a 200 hp engine and only gets something like 20-27... for a CIVIC!!! Even the ones with less HP only get in the high 20s... because they have a lot bigger engine than years ago...

And why does the 4 cyl car (such as the Accord or Camry) only get 2 mpgs better than the 6? Something is up here....
Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Just purchased an 04 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab for the purpose of towing a travel trailer. Our first domestic vehicle in 10 years.

Despite the window sticker's claim of 14-18 mpg, we have not gotten better than 14 mpg (highway miles) and only 12 mpg around town. Needless to say, we don't drive it much.

Now I understand why people who own these tend to drive more conservatively (at least around here).
Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmart View Post
Just purchased an 04 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab for the purpose of towing a travel trailer. Our first domestic vehicle in 10 years.

Despite the window sticker's claim of 14-18 mpg, we have not gotten better than 14 mpg (highway miles) and only 12 mpg around town. Needless to say, we don't drive it much.

Now I understand why people who own these tend to drive more conservatively (at least around here).
You most likely got the extra radiator and transmission cooling on the truck so it might not get up to the optium operating temperature when you aren't towing. Try putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. Watch the temp. gage. If it gets too warm cut down the cardboard to expose more of the radiator.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #28

Let's see ... driving an EXCURSION, had an Explorer, and a Bronco 2 before that. All bought used so I wouldn't feel guilty about sliding the used: stove, fridge, sofa .... into the back. Tried pulling a trailer load of wood with a Subaru ... not a safe experiance (load nearly out weighed the vehicle).
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My Jeep Grand Cherokee only gets 17 mpg so I'm working from home more, and staying home more to save $.
got one of those Jeep GCs also. mine is 8 cylinder for 2x per year short distance boat towing. and i live in serious snow country. can't tell you how many times i saved myself $50-100 for delivery charges.
i was able to get better mileage by consistently using the cruise control on straight stretches and longer trips. Set, Cancel, Set, Cancel. and keeping my leadfoot under control for starts. it sits during the summer while the 92 Honda Accord and the 'Stang (see avatar) get a workout.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

We live in a rural area and would basically be screwed without our 4 wheel drive pickup. We need something that can bust through 2 foot+ snow drifts so I can get to work. Also don't have garbage service out here. Don't want to throw stinky garbage in the trunk of the car in August! I also have to haul building materials on a regular basis. We do, however, use the 28 mpg passenger car as much as possible and park the truck unless its special qualities are called for.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #31

Let's see I had a Pontiac Grand Prix, but when evacuating from hurricanes with a large dog, kid, cat, kid, wife, and enough clothes and sentimental items to keep the wife happy there was very little room. The next hurricane season we traded in the Grand Prix for an Explorer that will carry the cat, large dog, bigger kid, wife and all of the luggage and sentimental things the wife would want. It was rather amusing that the Explorer got the same gas mileage as the Grand Prix, and both got marginally better gas mileage (4-5 mpg) than my F-150. So no, I am not embarrassed, ashamed, or feel bad in any way about the cars I drive. The wife is looking at a smaller crossover for her next car anyway, so it should get even better gas mileage and still offer enough room for the cat, even bigger kid, possibly the dog (she's very old), wife and enough luggage and sentimental things to keep the wife happy.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
And why does the 4 cyl car (such as the Accord or Camry) only get 2 mpgs better than the 6? Something is up here....
That's the biggest lie ever, I am on the Accord forum and I have never seen so many folks driving a V-6 Accord that LIE about their MPG. Like I should believe a Honda Accord V-6 gets 35 on the highway, and "high 20's in the city??

I have a 4-cylinder automatic Accord, and these are my average mpg numbers over a 2-year 40,000 mile period of keeping track:

100% city: 24.3 mpg
50/50% mix: 28.5 mpg
100% highway 33.67 mpg

I would be willing to bet signifcant amounts of money that an automatic V-6 Accord is NOT within 2 mpg of that............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

got me beat.

my 127,000+ miles, 5 speed 4 cyl 1992 Honda Accord gets 21-23 mpg in mixed town + rural driving. i use the cruise control as much as possible, but some drivers tend to pull out in front of me just as i achieve constant cruising speed.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...my v6 pilot gets pretty close to those numbers. I get 22-23 in mostly city driving and around 29 on all highway driving.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hmmm...my v6 pilot gets pretty close to those numbers. I get 22-23 in mostly city driving and around 29 on all highway driving.
Wow. On a recent trip I checked the mileage on DW's new Pilot for the first time - 23.3, all highway miles. That's very close to the new/revised EPA mileage estimates which show the Pilot at 16 city, 22 highway.

How are you getting those mpg results? You driving downhill both ways?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yep, lots of downhill around here.

Probably because its flat as a pancake around most of the region, so i've always got that "eco" light on.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is a Hyundai SantaFe. on the average it gets 21mpg when I drive it. Last time I drove it was Tuesday. S'cuse me, I'm off to go take the bus again. (Truth)

In other words, it's not just the gas mileage that counts, it's how far and how often you drive. I'm lucky enough to be able to take a bus that picks me up about 1000 yards from my front door and drops me off right in front of where I'm going most days, but even when that wasn't the case, I'd drive down to the train station and take the train into San Francisco. Of all the day's I've w*rked or gone to school, I've probably driven in less than a quarter of them. Probably closer to 1/8th, actually.

Over the years I've found that, when I pick the places I live based on where I'm most likely to go and public transit options to and from, I get there faster than if I had driven, found my parking space, and walked the rest of the way there, and it's way less stressful than sitting in traffic.

Saves me gas, vehicle wear-and-tear, parking fees, door dings and insurance, lets me read, think, and enjoy myself while I'm getting from here to there, live well below my means.

SO forgive me if I have an SUV. I probably use less gas than most Prius drivers.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
There's something fishy about 4 cylinder Camry mileage. My 4 cylinder Camry Solara gets much higher mileage than it is supposed to get. At times, I have gotten well over 35 mpg on the highway with it and over 30 mpg in town. I don't recall what it was rated for, but the rating was not as good as what I am actually getting.

And I don't even try to keep the mileage down (drive dynamically).

Makes you wonder.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

BTW, it looks like theres a fire sale on Honda Pilots right now. Base models are going in the 21-22k range and the fully loaded jobs that sticker around 37k are going for about 30k. If your dealer isnt advertising a sale, check carsdirect.com.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #40

'03 GMC full-size Sierra 4WD pickup truck, 5.3 V8, on a good day gets 18 mpg. My money, my choice. We use it to haul large bulky and/or dirty things that won't fit in a car, or one wouldn't want in a car. Also in the snow, with the hills around here even with front-wheel drive you ain't going anywhere without 4WD. Absent accident or theft I fully expect to keep it for 20 years since it's over 5 years old and has 49K miles on it.

I'll admit I notice when a fill-up costs $65.

But unless the car is being used by DW, the truck stays in the garage unless it's capabilities are needed.

What I'm seeing from the others is that everyone who owns some "gas-guzzler" uses it for it's intended purpose.