Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I showed my wife the International CXT. The results were predictable...

"I want one!"

Keep in mind, she's always wanted to go get a CDL. I don't think I could grow enough biodiesel for one of those, though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dang, I wish I'd known all this...I could've thrown in extra high bumpers on my dream truck.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
FinanceDude, it's easy to get angry with someone who disagrees with you and say things that, in retrospect, might not have been a great idea. It's much harder to admit you shouldn't have said it and apologize. You're a good man.

Financedude is good people. We have our differences in print but I believe we are closer in ideas than he/she thinks.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Financedude is good people. We have our differences in print but I believe we are closer in ideas than he/she thinks.

You are probably not far off... and I do bet both of you 'care' for the good ole USA... but just have different ideas on the best course of action...

And I think you are more passionate on some of you 'stranger' ideas...

BTW... there still are a group that think energy independence can happen a lot easier if we built a LOT of nuclear plants to take care of electricity... and also recycled the uranium so we did not throw away 'good' fuel...

How much oil & gas would we free up if we had 70% nuclear?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
BTW... there still are a group that think energy independence can happen a lot easier if we built a LOT of nuclear plants to take care of electricity... and also recycled the uranium so we did not throw away 'good' fuel...

Ask France..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... there still are a group that think energy independence can happen a lot easier if we built a LOT of nuclear plants to take care of electricity... and also recycled the uranium so we did not throw away 'good' fuel...

I think a the "problems" of nuclear energy are more political than scientific. Yes, nuclear reactors do make radioactive waste products, but dealing with that waste is a political hot potato, not a scientific one. Much of the waste is only mildly radioactive, a lot of it can be re-processed and recycled into new reactor fuel, and the last of it can be stored in ceramic cartridges and stored in an old salt mine, never to see the light of day or leak into our water supply until our sun becomes a red dwarf and engulfs the planet anyway.

The one thing I would like to see is a move to reactors that use "safe" technologies that, should the reactor loose coolant and overheat, the excessive heat causes the fuel elements inside to expand, increasing the distance between the fuel elements and slowing the reaction. Such reactors are called "inherently safe" reactors because, unlike reactors that require human intervention in the form of the insertion of control rods to slow the reaction to safe levels, inherently safe reactors are built in such a way that fundamental laws of nature, which require no human action at all, prevent a Three Mile Island or Chernobyl style incident from ever happening.

To my mind the implementation of safe nuclear reactor technologies, an Apollo-type-program to research and deploy renewable energy (wind, solar, tidal, biofuel) resources, a move to alternative fuel vehicles and conservation are the way to go to keep America strong, free, and a great and independent nation.

What obviously doesn't work is to continue to sell our country to the middle east in exchange for crude oil or continue to pump greenhouse gasses into an increasingly warmer sky.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #147

Quote:
The one thing I would like to see is a move to reactors that use "safe" technologies that, should the reactor loose coolant and overheat, the excessive heat causes the fuel elements inside to expand, increasing the distance between the fuel elements and slowing the reaction. Such reactors are called "inherently safe" reactors because, unlike reactors that require human intervention in the form of the insertion of control rods to slow the reaction to safe levels, inherently safe reactors are built in such a way that fundamental laws of nature, which require no human action at all, prevent a Three Mile Island or Chernobyl style incident from ever happening.
You mean like a pebble bed reactor?

Pebble bed reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Depends on if GM ever gives us the Volt

... or if I can get International to build an electric CXT powered by a pebble bed reactor in the back.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=Marquette;625399]You mean like a pebble bed reactor?[quote]

Yes. I'm not a nuclear engineer, but the discussions I've seen make the pebble bed reactor sound very interesting.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I showed my wife the International CXT. The results were predictable...

"I want one!"
The reaction here was different - she just rolled her eyes at my statement "I want one!" All the eco-conservatives can relax though, I can't afford a set of tires for something like that. If I was willing to live in a trailer I guess I could but I don't want it that bad.

I just like big machinery and it's fun to dream.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #150

Quote:

To my mind the implementation of safe nuclear reactor technologies, an Apollo-type-program to research and deploy renewable energy (wind, solar, tidal, biofuel) resources, a move to alternative fuel vehicles and conservation are the way to go to keep America strong, free, and a great and independent nation.
Yeah...it sure would be nice to have an energy policy. This is what I thought would happen naturally in response to the oil-embargo days....here we are 35 yrs later and probably worse off than ever.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking about getting a new vehicle, and was really leaning toward a SUV. Now I think I should get a two seater. I don't want fire and brimstone raining down on my head.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Pilots are still cheap. Get two!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Pilots are still cheap. Get two!
I dunno about being part of the mile high club.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Ruh Roh.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #155

Man right over the plate.