Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
BTW, it looks like theres a fire sale on Honda Pilots right now. Base models are going in the 21-22k range and the fully loaded jobs that sticker around 37k are going for about 30k. If your dealer isnt advertising a sale, check carsdirect.com.
MUST wait until 2010 to buy my new ER car.... MUST wait.... I am so tempted to look at new cars but my plan is/was/shall be to do this logically and according to plan. Besides, my car is almost exactly what I want and only has 34,800 miles on it. Maybe I should take it to the car wash and tell them to spray that "New Car" scent inside, instead of my usual choice, "Pina Colada".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That's the biggest lie ever, I am on the Accord forum and I have never seen so many folks driving a V-6 Accord that LIE about their MPG. Like I should believe a Honda Accord V-6 gets 35 on the highway, and "high 20's in the city??

I have a 4-cylinder automatic Accord, and these are my average mpg numbers over a 2-year 40,000 mile period of keeping track:

100% city: 24.3 mpg
50/50% mix: 28.5 mpg
100% highway 33.67 mpg

I would be willing to bet signifcant amounts of money that an automatic V-6 Accord is NOT within 2 mpg of that............

You might be surprised.... I have a 3.2 liter TL with 6 speed and sport tires (read, less rolling resistance so less gas mileage).... I get 29 to 30 MPG on the highway... driving 70 plus... I have gotten 34 once when driving 'slow' and for about 100 or so mileage... My overall mileage is now approaching 25 mpg.... so not THAT much less than your 28.5.... and this is before the 'new' cylinder deactivation that Honda has in their V6...

So, instead of '2', let's say 3.5.... still not as much as I would have liked... over 100,000 miles you would use about 3,500 gallons.. I would use about 4,000... and since I have owned it for 4 years and only have 20,000 miles... that means I have put in 100 gallons more..... again, not a big difference considering the huge difference in HP...

I will update my worksheet soon and get a new number if needed...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

'99 F150, V8, 5 Speed, 2WD. 19 mpg city. 23 mpg highway. The city milage calculation is based on only a couple of tank-fulls since we primarily use the truck for fishing and camping trips and haven't had many chances to use up a tank full in town.

At almost 9 years old, it only has about 35k miles. But now that we're retired, it's being used more.

The other car is a 2000 Honda Civic with 125k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 083107_1902a.jpg (47.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
You might be surprised.... I have a 3.2 liter TL with 6 speed and sport tires (read, less rolling resistance so less gas mileage).... I get 29 to 30 MPG on the highway... driving 70 plus... I have gotten 34 once when driving 'slow' and for about 100 or so mileage...
The KEY is the 6-speed, an automatic TL WOULD not get that, like I stated above.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have a 3.2 liter TL with 6 speed and sport tires (read, less rolling resistance so less gas mileage)
I always thought the performance tires were stickier, for better traction in the corners. Wouldn't that mean more rolling resistance?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #46

Quote:
I have a 4-cylinder automatic Accord, and these are my average mpg numbers over a 2-year 40,000 mile period of keeping track:

100% city: 24.3 mpg
50/50% mix: 28.5 mpg
100% highway 33.67 mpg
That's quite average for the Accord. Here are the numbers for my 1991 Honda Civic Station Wagon, FWD, automatic:

50city/50hwy: 32mpg
100hwy: 37mpg

Yes, it's 16 years old, has 150K on the original engine, and driven normally, not agressive, but not as a grandma either.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Here's my nice small Tacoma with a full load of free wood from a branch that fell down across the street.

Yes, it's at its limit (it actually looks worse than it is, because the driveway is slanted), but it can handle it.

You can't buy them this small anymore, the new Tacomas are larger. Bummer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrianglePine 001.jpg (207.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg TrianglePine 002.jpg (175.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

I'll fess up my So & I also have a Dodge Durango . Great for hauling Kayak's ,christmas trees and home depot supplies . I also like it for long hauls .I feel much safer in it than my Solara.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow. On a recent trip I checked the mileage on DW's new Pilot for the first time - 23.3, all highway miles. That's very close to the new/revised EPA mileage estimates which show the Pilot at 16 city, 22 highway.

How are you getting those mpg results? You driving downhill both ways?
I've got a 2004 Pilot. I think I got 23mph once. Usually on long interstate trips I get 19-21. Often I'm carrying a pretty good load, but I wouldn't call it excessive. I've been told, and noticed for myself, that Pilot's mpg falls off quite about above 70mph.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, your truck needs a wedgie...

2000 Chevy p/u with 4.8l V8, gets 16-17 mpg mixed city, 21 or so highway. Might get better if I wasn't driving 80 or so...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
I always thought the performance tires were stickier, for better traction in the corners. Wouldn't that mean more rolling resistance?

DOHHHHHHHH......
Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The KEY is the 6-speed, an automatic TL WOULD not get that, like I stated above.........
Actually, from what I read on the TL forum, there are some people who get 32 on the highway all the time... I think it has more to do with the tires instead of the tranny... as someone pointed out.. it had MORE rolling resistance....

But I think I do get better 'city' mileage then they do...
Old 02-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #53

2007 Pilot with cylinder cut off. Averaged 26 mph on a trip around West Texas. Average Speed 80.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Actually, from what I read on the TL forum, there are some people who get 32 on the highway all the time...
Hmm... All the time Several things come to mind:

- driving downhill
- have a tail wind
- drive slow (below 60)
- using Canadian (British) gallon instead of USA gallon in calculation
- arithmetically challenged

At least one of the above must be true for those people to get 32 "all the time" on the highway.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I love that wherever I travel in the USA I can find gas, a Walmart, good food, a cell phone signal and whatever else I might want.

Your travels haven't taken you to rural New York or Vermont, I take it?

kate
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Your travels haven't taken you to rural New York or Vermont, I take it?

kate
I try to stay out of yankee territory if I can.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I try to stay out of yankee territory if I can.
I'm a Mets fan.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

You have my condolences.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw my first Smart Car the other day. Tiny - bright yellow - parked at a bar. Glad to see he was spending his savings wisely! Anyone else seeing them on the roads.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yep, lots of downhill around here.

Probably because its flat as a pancake around most of the region, so i've always got that "eco" light on.
is that what that stupid light is for? it just flashes on and off for me - never more than 10 seconds or so - i thought i had a malfunction...i live in hilly suburbs so i usually get about 19 mpg