Join Early Retirement Today

The SUV Full size Pick Up issue..
Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The SUV Full size Pick Up issue..

I hear all the time well its america I have a right to drive what I want...

BUT wasting gasoline in these large wasteful vehicles screw EVERYONE else.

Sorry, Time to change the fleet!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, that's my full-size pickup and, no, I won't help you move.

GOD BLESS

Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dodge Dakota 4x4 16/20 mpg I tow a travel trailer sometimes then about 15 mpg. I love that wherever I travel in the USA I can find gas, a Walmart, good food, a cell phone signal and whatever else I might want.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Newguy, I see it must be happy hour. Who is your designated driver?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #5

I suspect that high fuel prices will correct the problem just like low fuel prices drove the market in the first place...it might take a few years though since few replace vehicles often...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #6

I have a Toyota Tundra at the house in Cali, 5.7L 381hp, will tow 10,000#. Love this truck, and the gas mileage was not too bad for 381 horseys...and about the same as a 4L Tacoma. (Paid less for it too, than a Tacoma...let's see, more horseys, more torque, more payload, about the same mileage, better price....Boy that was a hard decision).

All of that said, we drive the Tundra only when we need to drive it (picking up loads of stuff at Home Depot, the rock place, firewood...etc). If you drive it when you need it, then drive your Prius or other more economic (mileage wise) vehicle for general getting around, then there is no shame it that. What I cannot figure out is the guys who commute 60 miles each way in a big pickup or SUV, jacked up with huge tires...getting 10 or so mpg...that is craziness, unsafe in my opinion, and really does screw everyone else.

R
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #7

What about people who waste water!

GET THEM NEWGUY GOGOGO
Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
I suspect that high fuel prices will correct the problem just like low fuel prices drove the market in the first place...it might take a few years though since few replace vehicles often...
Bring back the Vega!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #9

I'm going to buy a 2500 HD in a few years.

However, at that same time, I'll be making my own biodiesel.

Can we still be friends then?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Big old Sequoia to tow the RV and for DW to take her clients around looking at real estate. Love driving it, but do so sparingly and as needed only.

My daily ride is a 2006 Prius: 30 mile round trip commute averaging about 58 mpg. That's about the same as my old motorcycle (a large tourer from Germany) used to get. Living in the city, our average non-commute trip is maybe 5 miles. Between the two of us we put on about 15k miles a year, all in, both cars.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
What about people who waste water!

GET THEM NEWGUY GOGOGO
Was thinking of buying gas now and pouring it down the deep well to store it in the aquifer - any problems with that?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #12

'98 Ford F-150 extended cab with a smallish V-8. On the road maybe 18-19 mpg. I drive it to work every day, 18 mile round trip. Sure, I'd like to get better mileage but I can't see spending $$ for another vehicle before I retire, 4.9 yrs from now, and also I do need a truck specifically once in awhile. Also, how the heck would I tow the boat OK, that's when I buy another boat!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Was thinking of buying gas now and pouring it down the deep well to store it in the aquifer - any problems with that?
Careful you might make Newguys head explode.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ok, for real, my loaded with supplies '93 525it BMW work truck, chipped so it get's better gas mileage but has to run on premium - perkier though and just shy of 24mpg overall. Thriftier, though not as much fun as the '83 533i BMW it replaced: 19mpg. Neither a patch on the 1985 Chevy Sprint the '83 BMW replaced - a used 10 YO three cylinder Suzuki product i bought that would give 50mpg in tune and 40 mpg if you did NO maintenance and flogged it like a mule. Almost a quarter century ago and cars today are hard pressed to equal it in economy. OTOH, got rid of mine because i figured if i got in an accident they would have to just bury the wadded up ball of tinfoil that would result.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Administrator

I'm tall, but some of those big pickups are so big that I would have to have a ladder to get into them! Thanks, but no thanks. To me, they are grotesque.

If I have to move something really big once or twice a year, I can rent a bigger truck from U-Haul and my cargo won't even get wet. Really, a task like that doesn't come up every year (at least in my life). When it does, I think it's a whole lot cheaper for a day's truck rental than it would be for even one week's gas in one of those big pickups, not to mention all associated expenses.

I suspect that the biggest I'd go is a Highlander. That's not very big. No ladder required.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #16

My daily commute is a city bus. But when I need to drive around town, I have a gas guzzling old pick up truck. I figure I'm being responsible and "green" enough with the public transportation and generally keeping the number of trips down. Plus, if I had to trade the vehicle in, I'd be in the market for something big and heavy to replace it anyway. I'm more than willing to pay for the extra metal and extra gas to haul it around based on my experiences with other drivers. Been hit while stopped at a red light, by someone driving the wrong way on a one way street and by a guy who "wanted to see how far his car would skid" in a parking lot. In case you're interested, a car will skid a long long way on wet pavement.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
My daily commute is a city bus. But when I need to drive around town, I have a gas guzzling old pick up truck. I figure I'm being responsible and "green" enough with the public transportation and generally keeping the number of trips down. Plus, if I had to trade the vehicle in, I'd be in the market for something big and heavy to replace it anyway. I'm more than willing to pay for the extra metal and extra gas to haul it around based on my experiences with other drivers. Been hit while stopped at a red light, by someone driving the wrong way on a one way street and by a guy who "wanted to see how far his car would skid" in a parking lot. In case you're interested, a car will skid a long long way on wet pavement.
G.O. - I think you can keep your truck. Anyone who has been hit by a dumb*** like that...twice, can keep the heavy metal if for nothing more than protection. As for those dumb***es who hit you...

R
Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
That and the uncertain economy. Anyone noticing more big and expensive toys in Craigs list or parked in the local "For Sale" lots...

I can still fill the MC for less then $10 every 2-3 weeks...

DD
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #19

Lots more used toys for sale. Check out the used boat market. It's full of inventory!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Careful you might make Newguys head explode.
Or worse, you might drive him away. Don't know about you guys, but I need the entertainment.