Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I lived with my parents while attending undergraduate school. My father, who was retired, was extremely old-fashioned and strict. I even had a midnight curfew until I was 20. Nevertheless, he had no idea what I got up to on campus (which wasn't much, but it could have been, if I'd been so inclined). As for monitoring, I am sure that if Big Brother had been around back then, I could have foiled him if I'd wanted to. College kids are smart, remember.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post

DD - OMG, Ma! I did the bars. I went to the gym and worked out....on the UNEVEN bars. What the hell...?

Me - [emoji15] Whoops

I stopped worrying about her after that [emoji14]

Now that is funny...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Technology of tracking your college freshman...
Old 09-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Ray, When you first posted he had only been gone about a week and you had 2 conversations and were checking up on his eating habits.

Actually he told the Mrs he wasn't eating in the cafe. The school is small and there is limited options. I spoke to him once and reminded him to eat.
1) He lost a lot of weight recently
2) The meal plan cost several thousand and we opted for the most meals.

Subsequently We've checked his bill to make sure there were charges from the cafe.

All conversations (few and limited) have been texts initiated by him and business related. I.e. How do I the wash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
When he was home, he was "on his computer gaming staying up until 2am and getting up at midday." Did this same behavior follow him to college?

I have no idea but I hope not - he's got 9AM classes Monday - Friday.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Be concerned with his results (grades). If these turn out good - how he gets them is up to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
A
I have no idea but I hope not - he's got 9AM classes Monday - Friday.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Be concerned with his results (grades). If these turn out good - how he gets them is up to him.

Couldn't agree more...
Old 09-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #46

One of my favorite sayings about parenting (never been one, never will be one) is "Good parents provide their kids with roots and wings."

The bad news for the OP is that his son has flown the coop. His son will have to manage with the wings he has. Let him go. No more remote monitoring!

Just my opinion. 😎
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
One of my favorite sayings about parenting (never been one, never will be one) is "Good parents provide their kids with roots and wings."

The bad news for the OP is that his son has flown the coop. His son will have to manage with the wings he has. Let him go. No more remote monitoring!

Just my opinion. 😎
I have to agree and I am a parent .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post

The bad news for the OP is that his son has flown the coop.

Actually I thought it was good news for him to get out of the rut he was in. Work (they wanted too many hours), gaming too isolated. By the by he didn't fly the coop he got kicked out of the nest. I loved college, thought it was great for me, it was for the daughter and I hope it will be for him as well.

Update: he walked in about 7:00 last night, stayed up about 1/2 hour said he was exhausted and went to bed. Where he remains at this moment I predict stirring about 10:30AM (new 9AM class habits). Amazing thing! He came home with books in tow. Unbelievable.

We asked why he did come home after class he responded "too lazy".
Earlier in the day we exchanged some text on the Penn State game (Crushed Akron 52-0) I figure penn state has so much of my money I might as well root for them. Yeah the timings right they are a very solid team once again.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Is he on the main campus, or a satellite? Main campus looks like such a fun place. I think only the most jaded young person would get bored there.

Quote:
A

We asked why he did come home after class he responded "too lazy".
Earlier in the day we exchanged some text on the Penn State game (Crushed Akron 52-0) I figure penn state has so much of my money I might as well root for them. Yeah the timings right they are a very solid team once again.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #50

I sit here in utter amazement; not only did he open a book (calculus). He spent a good three hours on his homework. Fortunately my daughter and her boyfriend were home and both tutored calculus in college. Plenty of help was sought and given.

I was so impressed I stayed up and helped him craft his first paper for his English class. The subject was what did I learn from my first job. Working in a supermarket for just above minimum wage and dealing with nasty customers provided plenty of fodder ...

Metamorphosis? I am hopeful. I encouraged him to get tutorial help and join a study group. Calculus has been the Bain of many a freshmen's existence. I believe If the help is available go and get it.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I sit here in utter amazement; not only did he open a book (calculus). He spent a good three hours on his homework. Fortunately my daughter and her boyfriend were home and both tutored calculus in college. Plenty of help was sought and given.

I was so impressed I stayed up and helped him craft his first paper for his English class. The subject was what did I learn from my first job. Working in a supermarket for just above minimum wage and dealing with nasty customers provided plenty of fodder ...

Metamorphosis? I am hopeful. I encouraged him to get tutorial help and join a study group. Calculus has been the Bain of many a freshmen's existence. I believe If the help is available go and get it.
There ya go, they can surprise you can't they. If you bought a meal plan I don't understand the comment about checking for food charges.Trust the kid to at least feed himself. First you said he was too podgy and now you say he's too skinny..give him a break on the food and leave him alone. You can't manage his food intake remotely.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #52

Ray, from the perspective of being the mother of six sons (all very different) I think you are doing just fine. There is nothing wrong with some reasonable monitoring.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

If nothing else, resist the urge to sit in on his first interview after college. I hear that is happening these days.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
There ya go, they can surprise you can't they. If you bought a meal plan I don't understand the comment about checking for food charges.

He told us he just wasn't eating at the cafeteria... i was and am concerned about making certain he ate enough and had regular healthy meals. When he was working He got in the habit of skipping meals. His mother complained "he doesn't eat." It's my opinion he's just too lazy to walk over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
If nothing else, resist the urge to sit in on his first interview after college. I hear that is happening these days.

Mike I'm just happy he texted his mother at 3:00PM he made it safely back to campus. He left at 1:20PM. If he even gets an interview he'll be doing better then many grads today. My daughter did it all on her own I'll expect the same from him.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I went away to college at 6'3" and 165 lbs. At the end of the first year, I weighed 210 lbs. We had a meal card with unlimited seconds. We also at at least one meal out daily and drank massive amounts of beer.

And to think my parents never said a word about the weight gain. It's very common for college students when they "grow up." I'm just glad my parents didn't have access to an ATM card 1968 to 1972.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote