Join Early Retirement Today

The Troll Game
Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Troll Game

Inspired by some recent posts here, I couldn't help but think of a little game for those of us who might be interested in some offbeat entertainment.

What if the mods allowed an established poster to create a second username, with the plan to troll the other members? How long before they are uncovered, and named?

No, not really serious, but I just have to wonder if some recent posts are from a troll, or if this poor person is really serious? I hope it is the former, or I fear he/she is going to take a hard fall if they are serious about this stuff. But I'd bet there isn't much height to fall from!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What if the mods allowed an established poster to create a second username, with the plan to troll the other members? How long before they are uncovered, and named?
No. Duplicate accounts are specifically prohibited by community rules (here), and the mod team makes every effort to ensure the integrity of the community and forum threads.

From the community rules
Quote:
Trolling or cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
Quote:
Participants may only have one account unless moderator permission for multiple accounts is granted.

Just to confirm, no such permission has been granted.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erd50 View Post
inspired by some recent posts here, i couldn't help but think of a little game for those of us who might be interested in some offbeat entertainment.

no, not really serious, but i just have to wonder if some recent posts are from a troll, or if this poor person is really serious? I hope it is the former, or i fear he/she is going to take a hard fall if they are serious about this stuff. But i'd bet there isn't much height to fall from!

-erd50
- erd50
Old 03-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

How funny. We could all be the opposite of ourselves.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
How funny. We could all be the opposite of ourselves.
I think Superman comics called it Bizzaro World....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
I think Superman comics called it Bizzaro World....
That's exactly what I was thinking. I had no idea others would remember the analogy.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We could all be Jennifer. (No, not really)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We could all be Jennifer. (No, not really)
That was before my time, but even the references to it are funny! -ERD50
Old 03-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a problem with a wacky lady that set up sock puppets of a young Romanian girl, her American husband, and her mother on one site.
On another site she claimed to be a flight instructor at her local airport, but did not even have a pilots license. She also created a sock puppet of a young girl in the same town she lived in, and would have conversations with her.

I wonder why anyone would do this
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I had a problem with a wacky lady that set up sock puppets of a young Romanian girl, her American husband, and her mother on one site.
On another site she claimed to be a flight instructor at her local airport, but did not even have a pilots license. She also created a sock puppet of a young girl in the same town she lived in, and would have conversations with her.

You jogged my memory for another absolute classic forum nutjob, the mall ninja: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sock puppets? They sound fun.

Our first landlords, next door in the duplex, had family. DW finally secured a permit to meet the family one fine day. The neighbors turned on the TV(fairness to them, it was a console) and a popular daytime soap opera.

Brewer: I think I know that guy.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You jogged my memory for another absolute classic forum nutjob, the mall ninja: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
That was a classic read, thank you! I am amazed at the stupidity of some folks when trolls come...uh, well, trolling. That's why I like it here at ER.org, they get owned pretty damn quick. But the news comment sections? Yeah, not so much.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks, I haven't read that in years. LMAO today!

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Trolls can only exist if they are fed regularly.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
OMGosh, that was a good read. I actually think I ran across him in another forum. Wowzers. Mods, thanks for protecting us from that sort of thing here.
Quote:
I’ll see YOU, but you won’t see ME.
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

THIS is why this senior citizen doesn't go to the mall. These guys are idiots, one may be my exSIL who shot himself in the a** at the pistol range. I saw the pics! Such tough guys!
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:

I have seen this as well - same fingerprint. A scam always unfolds at some point... "My stove broke, my plane broke.... whatever... " Follow the money.