"The Unit" on CBS TV

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I haven't had a TV for about 5 years - I just got a tuner for my laptop.

I like "The Unit" on CBS - it shows the people who make this country secure and great.

I am humbled whenever I think about the people who serve in our armed services.

Excellent show. Read the book "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney, which this show is based on.

I haven't had a TV for about 5 years - I just got a tuner for my laptop.

I like "The Unit" on CBS - it shows the people who make this country secure and great.

I am humbled whenever I think about the people who serve in our armed services.

I don't like it much myself. It seems pretty formulaic and wooden to me.. To each his own though.

Dh and I like that show, he likes any kind of war/battle show or movie. Tour of Duty back in the 90's was another favorite as well as China Beach.

I really liked the operational side of the show, but despised the relationship drama garbage they threw into it. I watched about half of the first season, but had to stop watching when they had the Colonel send in a particular Sargeant so he could get some alone time with the sargeant's wife. Turned my stomach.

It is a David Mamet show and sometimes he puts in one of his stable of actors. The wife of the Colonel is one of them.

It is difficult to do dramas these days because of costs. That is why there are so many outside shots in the show - they are less expensive to produce when compared to reality shows.

ChemEng,
I understand what you are saying about the relationship stuff in the show. I think they do it to show what the challenges are of being in the service on family life and it is difficult to do a full hour of action.

Think it's a crappy show, but a couple of the actors joined my dojo for a while and so I got to know them a bit. One married a friend who still trains. Very nice people. So different from their characters, makes me see how skilled they are at their profession.

Not realistic as often times the good guys get killed in real life. But I guess it is OK for entertainment for those who have never experienced real life combat. And believe me, what you are seeing on "The Unit" isn't even close.

Yep, I'm watching for entertainment primarily. The one part that matched Haney's book very well was an episode last year where Brown had flashbacks to his training and selection into The Unit.

Dh complains all the time about how they sugar coat things in shows like this, if he wants real world he goes to the history channel. He still finds it entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom