Join Early Retirement Today

The untold dangers of gardening ....
Old 06-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thereís no doubt about it at nearly 64 my tolerance for heat has diminished; so i do a couple hours work and call it quits. Nothing wrong with that as its supposed to be enjoyable-right? Yesterday afternoon i started on what we call the hosta shade garden. Lets just say the spring got ahead of me. I made a decent dent in the mess but it got warm, hot really and i called it quits around 5. Well today i got out there for an early start on weeding. . First I went to work with my the weeding hoe and slowly but surely section by section i got it done. Nothing like the feeling of accomplishment after tilling up a bed. Then off to Lowes for some shade plants and flowers $60 bucks later I am planting away and i get to the second to last plant. It was then that something latched onto my finger and i had the sensation it was doing something. Do you know what brave people do when a large bug has their finger -doing something? No I am asking because i sure donít. Well i didnít scream like a little girl because Iím to baritone for that. More like Yeoooow, oh and more then loud. Lots of people outside still i may have gotten lucky with no actual eye witnesses. Being a scientist fiction fan i immediately slapped/slip the monster off all kids of horrors running through my head and checked the finger to see if the skin had been broken. (Did you ever hear about those tarantulas in the bannas) Because if it had broken the skin thats real real bad ...right? Next being a pacifist i beat the offending critter to death with the shovel. Iíve seen lots of bugs but never in Pennsylvania. I believe Iíve seen this one on tv because its pretty ferocious looking. Ive had a tuff day.IMG_0304.jpg

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #2

Iíve never seen those in PA either!

Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

That's not a South African Near Death Beetle is it? ;-))
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
That's not a South African Near Death Beetle is it? ;-))
No, it's an Amazonian slow-tortured-death poison beetle.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need some of these: https://www.americangloveco.com/prod...BoCzIAQAvD_BwE

There are lots worse things in your garden than scratchy death beetles. (Not to mention, if you squash them with a shovel, they can come back to life and invade your toilet via the house drain!)
Old 06-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That's too small to be a Texas variety. I suppose our Texas bugs eat little critters like that for a snack.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Iíve never seen those in PA either!

Sweet Moses you dont think itís the first wave of an invasion do you?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

In Florida our bugs look like small pets .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Cool! A stag beetle. I know they are in MD, so I suppose they are in PA too. Did it bite you? I didn't think they had enough power in their pincers to hurt a human, but I could be wrong, as it's been 40 years since my Bio degree. But they are definitely scary looking, so the girly scream would be completely understandable (if it had happened).
Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 AM   #10

harley thanks. I knew someone out there would know; I researched further below. I donít believe PA is in there normal range.

ďStag beetles: They are black to dark-brown and have large mandibles. The male does not have enough strength in his jaws to bite, however, the female does. A bite from the female can be painful, but does not normally require any medical treatment.Ē

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
so the girly scream would be completely understandable (if it had happened).
Actually didnt see the critter when it latched on because it was hidden by the plant i was holding.. I sure felt it and those legs were moving so I knew something living had me. Yeah I screamed - death by beetle is a hell of a way to go.

Thank god it didnít get under my shirt....
Old 06-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #11

Ahhhh. Someone else repeated my encounter almost to a tee. I was picking weeds from my lawn. I too, let out a single exclamation of both pain and surprise. I shook, and shook my hand probably 10 times and brushed at it with the other before it finally released. I never saw one here in N. Illinois before my encounter. I haven't seen one in the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Thank god it didn’t get under my shirt....
OR fall into your pants
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Ahhhh. Someone else repeated my encounter almost to a tee. I was picking weeds from my lawn. I too, let out a single exclamation of both pain and surprise. I shook, and shook my hand probably 10 times and brushed at it with the other before it finally released. I never saw one here in N. Illinois before my encounter. I haven't seen one in the last couple of years.
That does it .. Iím convinced it is a quiet invasion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
OR fall into your pants
Thanks now Iím thinking about how bad that would have been.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #13

Nothing scares me more than ticks. I received the lovely bullseye rash from a walk in the woods in WI. Went to ER and was on antibiotics for a month. I'm not afraid of spiders, ants, bees, wasps...but a tick is another story.

By the way, the one animal that kills more people than any animal on earth is the mosquito. I'm not even afraid of a tarantula, for the most part they are harmless. I work in the forest preserves so bugs are my friends. Spiders eat mosquitos and decomposers turn dead vegetation back to dirt. It's all good, except for those ticks and mosquitoes.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Was out gardening today. Wearing boots and heavy gloves. Poking the garden beds to make sure no rattlers were lying in wait. Out to do it super early at it was 85 degrees by 10am. Picked a windy day so at least some relief. And into the shower as soon as I was done.

Oh the hazards of gardening!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Mowed my grass yesterday morning and it was not too bad. But played 9 holes a little bit ago and it was just too hot. I can't take the heat anymore. I truly have turned into a full time wuss......
Old 06-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The offending creature probably came in on the plant material you purchased at Lowe's. It's anyone's guess as to where those plants were actually grown before being shipped to Lowe's.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
.........By the way, the one animal that kills more people than any animal on earth is the mosquito. ..........
That may be true, but running a lawn mower over a yellow jacket nest gets your attention.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

The biggest danger I have faced while doing yardwork is, unfortunately, myself. I've been bitten (fire ants), stung (bees & wasps), covered in Poison Ivy and Virginia Creeper rashes, and eaten alive (mosquitoes and biting flies).

The worst thing that has happened to me was when I was pruning shrubs about 10 years ago. I *thought* my fingers were out of the way, but alas, they weren't. I cut the meaty pad/fingerprint portion of my ring finger 3/4 of the way off. Through the gloves. Being the stubborn person I am, I went in the house, washed it off, and held the flopping flap in place while holding my arm up as high as I could, hoping the bleeding would stop. It did, and I refused medical treatment (I was a good girl, though ~~ my tetanus shot needed updating so I went and got that done the next day).

Someone will have to start a thread on "The untold dangers of cooking" to hear my other horror story.

Suffice it to say that dh is very nervous about my well-being when I'm around sharp implements.

OP, had that bug bitten me and I saw it on my finger, I'm afraid I would have 'girl screamed' at a pitch that would have set the neighborhood dogs barking!!
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
covered in Poison Ivy and Virginia Creeper rashes,
I had to look that one up. I'm very allergic to poison ivy (hospitalized by it twice as a kid), but always "knew" that Virginia creeper wasn't poisonous. I've pulled hundreds of vines of it over the years, no reaction. But it does appear that some people can get a rash from it. I learn something new here nearly every day.
Diddly doodily
Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #20

Diddly doodily

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Do you know what brave people do when a large bug has their finger -doing something?
Once again, Calvin and Hobbes shows us the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg List of handy expletives.JPG (43.1 KB, 27 views)