Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brat, the marine surveyor who we used when we bought our sailboat was the same used by the buyer when we sold it a number of years later. Lots of difference in being on the other side of his eagle eyed inspection process!

We were pleased with the surveyor we used in Annapolis, even if we didn't have firsthand knowledge of his expertise. I loved his one quote--if a fat surveyor shows up, send him home! After seeing some of the places he squeezed into down in the bilge, I understood perfectly. We also sprung for oil and fuel testing which helped us determine the condition of the fuel tanks, a common source of expensive repairs in older trawlers.

I imagine a skinny home inspector is equally desirable for attic and crawl space work.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, how many of you think that a home inspection should have caught DD's problem?

If you you think finding the problem was too hard, what value do you see in an inspection (this one cost >$500)? Where is the value?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #23

Based on the information you posted, other than waterlogged drywall, if this was noticed and it should've been (unless it was covered or painted over), it would've been a big red flag and been caught right away. Inspectors aren't allowed to pry anything loose or damage the property while doing the inspection. I mentioned earlier the inspection will/should identify issues that you can see and give you a thorough understanding of the inner workings of the house and it's current condition. I've done all kinds of construction and remodelling, but as a hobby. I know my weak points are in Heat/AC and complex electrical work. I still would pay for an inspection just to get peace of mind and proof to present to the seller that something is wrong, hence the process to haggle on credits to reduce the price or to walk away from the deal.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Well, how many of you think that a home inspection should have caught DD's problem?

If you you think finding the problem was too hard, what value do you see in an inspection (this one cost >$500)? Where is the value?
It was hidden damage, what do you really expect? For $500 they can't tear out walls to inspect and then repair them and say - "looks OK in there".

For $500 you should get an idea of any problems that are NOT hidden. That could be many things that may or not be worth knowing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Should the inspection have caught it? I had to read and check out your OP first. And truth is, I still don't know.

(1) You easily paid an above average amount for an inspection. Not good. And that right there says you did not get your money's worth. (Or DD anyways.) Inspectors in my area are few in number - NW Penna. From the sounds of it DD had even fewer? That's not an excuse though.

(2) My first post based on the pictures may have misread things. I thought this was before clearing out most of the damage, making it clearly visible. Still, that amount of damage cannot be easily covered up with "paint and spackle". Or in this case paint and grout. I tend to think a "trained eye" would have spotted something - too bad I can't see a picture of things before you tore out everything.

(3) Here's my concern:

Quote:
She paid, he did it, no problems found.
Is there aything else to be found?

My conclusion? You didn't get your money's worth. Does this mean you have any recourse? Probably not. (IANAL.)
dfdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #26

Quote:
I suggested we look at the "home inspection " report. Interestingly enough, it doesn't mention a bathroom on the main floor. I keep wondering if there is a claim (beyond the costs of the flawed inspection where he misses the bathroom problems because he misses the bathroom).
This is the only item that I read that you can definitely have legal grounds for a lawsuit or compensation. If the inspector completely missed this bathroom, then that's obviously a serious flaw and an incomplete service. I don't know how much a court or arbitrator would award for something like this, it's out of my skill set!
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #27

I hired an inspector to inspect while my house was being built. He found a number of things that I was able to get corrected before the house was finished and they became a problem. It was well worth the money.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
...can you imagine having an inspector check out a ten year old car you want to buy and what the report would say?
Sort of like checking out a formerly married man/woman?

OK, DW/me "bought new" and are willing to run each other into the ground...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote