Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder View Post
I would say start by discussing the type of solid evidence (not yet the actual evidence) you may have run into, just to bounce around how solid it may be to a group of impartial observers
I haven't run into any evidence, solid or otherwise. I do think it might be interesting to discuss what sort of evidence would be solid and convincing.

But, the point I sort of was trying to make is that maybe one day (perhaps it's already happened) some guy or guyette may experience something incredibly significant, important, unbelievable-- maybe even earth-shattering (sounds like an orgasm, doesn't it?) and would not know whether to even mention the extraterrestrial encounter even with solid evidence or proof because of the negative consequences he/she might experience. I see it as a terrible dilemma for a person to be in.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I haven't run into any evidence, solid or otherwise. I do think it might be interesting to discuss what sort of evidence would be solid and convincing.

But, the point I sort of was trying to make is that maybe one day (perhaps it's already happened) some guy or guyette may experience something incredibly significant, important, unbelievable-- maybe even earth-shattering (sounds like an orgasm, doesn't it?) and would not know whether to even mention the extraterrestrial encounter even with solid evidence or proof because of the negative consequences he/she might experience. I see it as a terrible dilemma for a person to be in.
There are typically many problems with such encounters.

1. If an alien race has the technology to travel light years across the galaxy, they likely won't be forced to stick a probe up said guy/guyette's anus to explore our species. If they were truly interested, they'd likely kill one of us and dissect us. I don't see what info they could get from an anal probe that would be useful. All they'd have to do is watch us eat from afar to see what we put in our bodies.
2. Said alien race also likely won't have display screens that look eerily like Gene Roddenberry's creations on Star Trek, with a few blinking lights from the 1960s/1970s alien abduction stories, or a few upgraded LCD screens from modern-day alien abduction stories (or hey, maybe the alien races got upgrades from Dell on their spaceships from their 1970s-era models to the 2000s model?)
3. Said alien atmosphere in their spaceship would likely have some microbes or gas differences that would be quite bad to our bodies. And conversely, our common cold could be quite deadly to an alien race.
4. Other details of these 'encounters' typically have events that don't follow physics in any way, shape, or form. As an example, a few months ago, someone (was it you? I can't remember) posted something about some alledged encounter in Canada back in the 1970s. I read the guy's story, and found numerous facts with his 'encounter' that just simply didn't make sense, and were physically impossible - like a series of burn marks, in the shape of perfect, 1/2" diameter cylinders, on his chest. He claimed these burn marks were made when hot gas was shot out of some opening on the UFO. Gas would not be able to do that, through his shirt, and leave such burn marks. The gas would diffuse and leave a wide pattern burn. The gas also would not burn small parts of his shirt as he claimed, without also doing a number to his face and hair (which, miraculously, weren't burned). (among other physical inconsistencies)

If the alien encounter passes the above sniff tests, then I'd say give the national enquirer a call. It's been a while since they've had any good alien abduction stories. I'm sure you'd get a bonus if you have any 'hard evidence'. Maybe the broken tip of an anal probe, or a disposable, 3-fingered glove they used?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa... It's déjà vu all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
There are typically many problems with such encounters.

1. If an alien race has the technology to travel light years across the galaxy, they likely won't be forced to stick a probe up said guy/guyette's anus to explore our species. If they were truly interested, they'd likely kill one of us and dissect us. I don't see what info they could get from an anal probe that would be useful. All they'd have to do is watch us eat from afar to see what we put in our bodies.
2. Said alien race also likely won't have display screens that look eerily like Gene Roddenberry's creations on Star Trek, with a few blinking lights from the 1960s/1970s alien abduction stories, or a few upgraded LCD screens from modern-day alien abduction stories (or hey, maybe the alien races got upgrades from Dell on their spaceships from their 1970s-era models to the 2000s model?)
3. Said alien atmosphere in their spaceship would likely have some microbes or gas differences that would be quite bad to our bodies. And conversely, our common cold could be quite deadly to an alien race.
4. Other details of these 'encounters' typically have events that don't follow physics in any way, shape, or form. As an example, a few months ago, someone (was it you? I can't remember) posted something about some alledged encounter in Canada back in the 1970s. I read the guy's story, and found numerous facts with his 'encounter' that just simply didn't make sense, and were physically impossible - like a series of burn marks, in the shape of perfect, 1/2" diameter cylinders, on his chest. He claimed these burn marks were made when hot gas was shot out of some opening on the UFO. Gas would not be able to do that, through his shirt, and leave such burn marks. The gas would diffuse and leave a wide pattern burn. The gas also would not burn small parts of his shirt as he claimed, without also doing a number to his face and hair (which, miraculously, weren't burned). (among other physical inconsistencies)

If the alien encounter passes the above sniff tests, then I'd say give the national enquirer a call. It's been a while since they've had any good alien abduction stories. I'm sure you'd get a bonus if you have any 'hard evidence'. Maybe the broken tip of an anal probe, or a disposable, 3-fingered glove they used?
Anal probe? Uh, where did you get that idea (or visual)? And, no that wasn't me talking about the guy in Canada. And, no, I don't have any hard evidence or any evidence at all. I'm not looking for evidence. I was just wondering about something.

But, this post of yours is a good example of what I was talking about: It would be difficult for anyone, no matter what evidence there would be, to talk about issues so charged, causing some people to become agitated, not listen and therefore not respond to what was said but to respond to something visceral.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Anal probe? Uh, where did you get that idea (or visual)?
Oh, I don't know. I guess I just have an anal obsession. It's not like it's ever been mentioned in previous UFO-ology before. I guess I must be having a Brian Williams' moment?

Quote:
But, this post of yours is a good example of what I was talking about: It would be difficult for anyone, no matter what evidence there would be, to talk about issues so charged, causing some people to become agitated, not listen and therefore not respond to what was said but to respond to something visceral.
I'm more than willing to listen to anyone's claim with a very rational, open mind.

But I'm not going to blindly believe everything they claim, especially when it doesn't pass not only the basics of scientific laws, but basic common sense (like descriptions of past UFO 'encounters' where the inside of the alien ships look mysteriously like the set of the Enterprise from the original Star Trek, with just a few blinking lights and a computer screen, to control a ship that travels across deep, interstellar space-not to mention other basic biological and physical 'inconsistencies' and problems).
Old 02-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #26

Quote:

Like trying to convince people the world isn't flat? You keep trying to explain/demonstrate your idea/theory until you prove it. That means putting yourself out there for all to call a fool.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Four out of the five voices in my head agree; don't tell anyone about your experience.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Oh, I don't know. I guess I just have an anal obsession. It's not like it's ever been mentioned in previous UFO-ology before. I guess I must be having a Brian Williams' moment?

I'm more than willing to listen to anyone's claim with a very rational, open mind.
What is it you think I claimed?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #29

Quote:
I guess I must be having a Brian Williams' moment?
Oh, not at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW_with_martian.JPG (69.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just stay out of the kitchen and all will be well.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Just stay out of the kitchen and all will be well.
freebird, that's him, that's the alien!!! Nice piece of research!!!
I can't tell you what a relief it is to be vindicated.
Thank you.
I remain...
redduck

(I guess to be really sure, I'd have to do the touch, smell, and taste test again. And, while I'm willing, I have the idea that the alien, is not as enthusiastic, as he got really tired of Moorebond's constant anal probing).
Old 02-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

And now...back to our program...

Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #33

I remember the episode quite well. Everyone was talking about it in school.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks, frayne. I'll have a Singapore Sling. MichaelB, what you havin'?
Usually a Hemingway, but given the recent announcements, Cuba Libre.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

The evidence would have to be very compelling.

Several years ago my mom had hallucinations/delusions caused by her medications. She swore she had physical evidence of what was transpiring, but it was all just part of the hallucinations/delusions.

The delusions had gotten so deeply implanted into her mind that even after they removed her from the meds, she continued to swear it was all true for years.

So truth be told, if anyone told me they had been contacted by aliens, my first thought would be to wonder if they were having delusions.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #36

Yes, I too, would wonder if they were experiencing some sort of mental disturbance.
+++++++++++

Now the question still remains: If you truly felt you had compelling evidence (no matter what that evidence was) regarding being contacted by an ET, what would you do--if anything? (This question is not directed you, Spudd).
Old 02-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I too, would wonder if they were experiencing some sort of mental disturbance.
+++++++++++

Now the question still remains: If you truly felt you had compelling evidence (no matter what that evidence was) regarding being contacted by an ET, what would you do--if anything? (This question is not directed you, Spudd).
I'd tell Frank. He'd believe me 150% because, well, because we have that kind of trust in one another. He'd also know just what to do.

I think this is an interesting question. I sure wouldn't call the mayor or police chief about it right off the bat, y'know? They'd think I was nuts.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #38

Last night, I (re)watched "The Universe" TV episode that talked about parallel universes. Redduck, it's probably yourself from another universe you have felt. BTW, what were you drinking at the time you posted your thread. I want some.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I would probably contact a university that has a decent astrophysics department, show them the evidence, and let them take it from there. I would make the contact as anonymous as possible, so that no "authorities" would come knocking on my door.
And then I would eagerly await the next contact.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Last night, I (re)watched "The Universe" TV episode that talked about parallel universes. Redduck, it's probably yourself from another universe you have felt. BTW, what were you drinking at the time you posted your thread. I want some.
Sorry robnplunder. Too late, I finished it all. (And, I won't be doing that again anytime soon).