Re: The Wab Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just not
Her #s:
Chol: 289
Tri: 57
HDL: 97
LDL: 187

Not very good. And she cant take any statins unless she stops breast feeding.
I wonder if pregnancy and childbirth raises a woman's stats temporarily?
How were her #'s 2 years ago?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They do, but the effect drops off in 2-6 weeks, usually closer to 2 weeks.

However the pregnancy has majorly affected her thermostat. We were always ~5 degrees off, If I was comfy she was hot or cold. Now its about 10 degrees. She thinks 72 is freezing and 82 is comfy. I think 65 is pretty comfy... :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I told this before but here's the numbers again.

Total Cholesterol...225
HDL........................72
LDL.........................140
Triglyceride..............67
BloodSugar..............98 (Ithink 99 is max for this).

Question:
Triglyceride's should be what.... lower the better or higher the better??What's the optimum number??

Fish Oil tablet and ground flax seed, plus a couple of vitamins daily.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Triglyceride's should be what.... lower the better or higher the better??What's the optimum number??
Anything below 130 is considered fine.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
Total chol* * 222
HDL* * * * * * *44
LDL* * * * * * * 131
Trigs* * * * * * 236

My doc said not to worry at this time, just watch my diet. Should I make my will out today?* * *Shredder
Did he tell you specifically what to watch in your diet? Of all the profiles posted here today (is today bloodwork day or something?), yours looks like it would benefit most from a low-carb diet. Check out a book called "Protein Power" for a pretty easy approach, or if you want a dead-simple approach just cut way back on sweet and starchy stuff like breads, juices, colas, cookies, candies, etc. and then retest after a few weeks.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
Anything below 130 is considered fine.
Wab - do you have any good pages on triglycerides? Everything I've read says everyone is dang worried about them but no actual hard data that says that they're bad. Everybody in my family has high tri-g's and the doctors always hem and haw about it and do nothing but worry us and then we live to 90.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #47

I don't have anything bookmarked, but you're a googlemeister, so try: triglycerides independent risk factor.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Oh I'm not going for that "here, try this google search" trick I used on Art...

I've read a bunch. Inconclusive. Lots of people feeling there should be something wrong with little bits of fat floating around in your blood. Makes sense. Still havent seen the silver bullet though.

My grandpa had asthma, smoked, drank, ate all the leftover bacon grease spread on his toast after consuming the bacon and eggs cooked in the bacon fat. When my grandma died he sat down in a chair and watched baseball and other than that didnt eat much or do much. Couldnt really talk to him. A year later at 87 he passed on. I suspect if grandma kept going another 10 years, so would he.

So %$$@# triglycerides!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
I've read a bunch.* Inconclusive.
I guess you can interpret data the way you want to, but I think there's a wide consensus that high triglycerides is an independent risk factor for CHD and stroke. Here's a pretty graph from a drug company trying to sell you drugs:

FWIW, I'm envious of your high HDL. Those puppies will carry all the bad crap out of your system.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #50

Quote:
I guess you can interpret data the way you want to, but I think there's a wide consensus that high triglycerides is an independent risk factor for CHD and stroke.* *Here's a pretty graph from a drug company trying to sell you drugs:

FWIW, I'm envious of your high HDL.* * Those puppies will carry all the bad crap out of your system.
Hey Wab! My heartscan came back 100% A+ perfect. Unfortunately,
everything else is going to hell. Still................

JG
Old 07-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Did he tell you specifically what to watch in your diet?* * Of all the profiles posted here today (is today bloodwork day or something?), yours looks like it would benefit most from a low-carb diet.* * Check out a book called "Protein Power" for a pretty easy approach, or if you want a dead-simple approach just cut way back on sweet and starchy stuff like breads, juices, colas, cookies, candies, etc. and then retest after a few weeks.
He told me to decrease carbs and to add more fiber, I get plenty of exersize. I tried low carb the Atkins way once and did not like it and it did not change my blood in any significant way. I also have a thyroid problem that does not help matters, I take synthroid for it but it's all over the place, it just won't stabilize and has been like that for years. Sometimes I could eat a horse and others no appetite, it depends on my thyroid level. However I feel pretty good.........Shredder
Old 07-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of diets, about ten years ago I was dating a girl who was a vegetarian. I got used to eating that way and gradually switched over to it. My blood work was great, my doc said I was a kid again chol 160 low blood pressure ect.. The girl left but I stuck with it, then my now wife came along in 1996. I started some compromises, such as adding chicken, and I was already eating fish, then it crept up to some pork, as I love country ribs and then venison. Now I really still don't eat beef other than a burritto or something thats hard to avoid, but my diet really does need some serious work. I'm glad for this thread so I'm starting to focus again, next I may actually do something about it before it's too late.........Shredder
Old 07-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
He told me to decrease carbs and to add more fiber, I get plenty of exersize. I tried low carb the Atkins way once and did not like it and it did not change my blood in any significant way. I also have a thyroid problem that does not help matters, I take synthroid for it but it's all over the place, it just won't stabilize and has been like that for years. Sometimes I could eat a horse and others no appetite, it depends on my thyroid level. However I feel pretty good.........Shredder
I had no trouble switching to the "wab" diet and it produced dramatic results
for me (still on it). *Can't get all that much exercise, but my appetite is good, and
I sleep well (Xanax and manhattans) * *

JG
Old 07-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Could not be happier with my bloodwork:
Total cholestrol 187
HDL chol 75
LDL chol 94
Triglycherides 89
LDL/HDL ratio 1.26

I don't eat much meat, just don't care for it too much and I don't digest it well. I don't mind eating it when I go out dinner but I don't like cooking it myself. It groses me out to see blood on a plate or when bones are sticking out of something. I can only deal with it when I wear latex gloves or poke at it with a fork. So forget about even eating it at the end. I can handle a little tuna fish out of a can and sandwich meat and the like. I eat tons of soy stuff, eggs, beans and dairy to make up for it.

I eat very high fiber, at least 50% more than what is recommended (no, never have any regularity problems). Breakfast is some sort of a low carb soy thing with flaxseed. I carb it up with maple syrup and blueberries and milk. Mmmmm. Eggs are not bad either. I always bring my lunch to work. Always high veggie and very low if any refined carbs. I am not a carb freak but I noticed that I feel very restless if I eat too much of them and then I fall asleep. I already have trouble enough staying awake at my boring job as is - so I have to be careful what I eat.

Over the years I noticed that my body is getting more sensitive to what I eat. It is not only refined stuff but also things like artifical sweeteners and highly processed stuff. I get headaches, cramps or get wired. As long as I eat stuff that is not overly processed I do just fine.

Vicky
Old 07-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess you can interpret data the way you want to, but I think there's a wide consensus that high triglycerides is an independent risk factor for CHD and stroke. Here's a pretty graph from a drug company trying to sell you drugs:

FWIW, I'm envious of your high HDL. Those puppies will carry all the bad crap out of your system.
Yeah, I see that chart. The problem is that many hi-TG people also have high total cholesterol, high ldl or low hdl, and i havent seen a study with high TG people with good cholesterol numbers that shows the same bad results. I also see a lot of docs saying its bad, but they always use words like 'seems' and 'appears' and 'might'.

Fish oil and oatmeal with extra oat bran and other similar stuff might be the source of the high hdl's both me and the wife enjoy. On the other hand, this is the first time either of us has had bloodwork done in a while and I dont remember what my HDLs were the last time.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
The problem is that many hi-TG people also have high total cholesterol, high ldl or low hdl, and i havent seen a study with high TG people with good cholesterol numbers that shows the same bad results.
You'll find plenty of studies if you try that google I gave you. That's what *independent* risk factor means -- high triglycerides is a risk factor even for people with low LDL.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I was a walking time bomb, my Tri's were over 400.

What age group are these guys with "major coronary incidents"?

I've lost 60 lbs since that test. I need to get tested again.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Could not be happier with my bloodwork:
Total cholestrol* * 187
HDL chol* * * * * * * * 75
LDL chol* * * * * * * * *94
Triglycherides* * * * 89
LDL/HDL ratio* * * * 1.26

I don't eat much meat, just don't care for it too much and I don't digest it well. I don't mind eating it when I go out dinner but I don't like cooking it myself. It groses me out to see blood on a plate or when bones are sticking out of something. I can only deal with it when I wear latex gloves or poke at it with a fork. So forget* about even eating it at the end. I can handle a little tuna fish out of a can and sandwich meat and the like. I eat tons of soy stuff, eggs, beans and dairy to make up for it.

I eat very high fiber, at least 50% more than what is recommended (no, never have any regularity problems). Breakfast is some sort of a low carb soy thing with flaxseed. I carb it up with maple syrup and blueberries and milk. Mmmmm. Eggs are not bad either. I always bring my lunch to work. Always high veggie and very low if any refined carbs. I am not a carb freak but I noticed that I feel very restless if I eat too much of them and then I fall asleep. I already have trouble enough staying awake at my boring job as is - so I have to be careful what I eat.

Over the years* I noticed that my body is getting more sensitive to what I eat. It is not only refined stuff but also things like artifical sweeteners and highly processed stuff. I get headaches, cramps or get wired. As long as I eat stuff that is not overly processed I do just fine.

Vicky
I eat a lot of meat at home (not necessarily beef), but usually just a salad
when I eat out (unless it's Mickey Ds). Anyway, dropping my total cholestrol
score 54 points and a good heartscan, (along with no bad family history)
have reduced the "worry level". I've got plenty of other issues though.

JG
Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 PM   #59

Last November my blood test came back with the usual great results,

Cholesterol 148
HDL 50
LDL 90
TG 42

Except for lots of eggs, low fat cheeses and chicken, I eat very little that has animal fat. I do eat a lot of oatmeal and garlic. I love meats and good cold cuts but will rarely eat them only when I am away from home.

Back 2001 my stats were awful.
Cholesterol 256
HDL 37
LDL 159
TG 300

I made some minor changes to my diet and increased my exercise regiment. 6 months later, I had dropped 20 lbs of fat and got the following surprise results.
Cholesterol 160
HDL 50
LDL 100
TG 42
Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I made some minor changes to my diet
Those are some dramatic differences. What were the "minor" diet changes?