The Wab Diet

wabmester said:
Did he tell you specifically what to watch in your diet?    Of all the profiles posted here today (is today bloodwork day or something?), yours looks like it would benefit most from a low-carb diet.    Check out a book called "Protein Power" for a pretty easy approach, or if you want a dead-simple approach just cut way back on sweet and starchy stuff like breads, juices, colas, cookies, candies, etc. and then retest after a few weeks.

He told me to decrease carbs and to add more fiber, I get plenty of exersize. I tried low carb the Atkins way once and did not like it and it did not change my blood in any significant way. I also have a thyroid problem that does not help matters, I take synthroid for it but it's all over the place, it just won't stabilize and has been like that for years. Sometimes I could eat a horse and others no appetite, it depends on my thyroid level. However I feel pretty good.........Shredder

Speaking of diets, about ten years ago I was dating a girl who was a vegetarian. I got used to eating that way and gradually switched over to it. My blood work was great, my doc said I was a kid again chol 160 low blood pressure ect.. The girl left but I stuck with it, then my now wife came along in 1996. I started some compromises, such as adding chicken, and I was already eating fish, then it crept up to some pork, as I love country ribs and then venison. Now I really still don't eat beef other than a burritto or something thats hard to avoid, but my diet really does need some serious work. I'm glad for this thread so I'm starting to focus again, next I may actually do something about it before it's too late.........Shredder

Shredder said:
He told me to decrease carbs and to add more fiber, I get plenty of exersize. I tried low carb the Atkins way once and did not like it and it did not change my blood in any significant way. I also have a thyroid problem that does not help matters, I take synthroid for it but it's all over the place, it just won't stabilize and has been like that for years. Sometimes I could eat a horse and others no appetite, it depends on my thyroid level. However I feel pretty good.........Shredder

I had no trouble switching to the "wab" diet and it produced dramatic results
for me (still on it).  Can't get all that much exercise, but my appetite is good, and
I sleep well (Xanax and manhattans)  :)  

JG

Could not be happier with my bloodwork:
Total cholestrol 187
HDL chol 75
LDL chol 94
Triglycherides 89
LDL/HDL ratio 1.26

I don't eat much meat, just don't care for it too much and I don't digest it well. I don't mind eating it when I go out dinner but I don't like cooking it myself. It groses me out to see blood on a plate or when bones are sticking out of something. I can only deal with it when I wear latex gloves or poke at it with a fork. So forget about even eating it at the end. I can handle a little tuna fish out of a can and sandwich meat and the like. I eat tons of soy stuff, eggs, beans and dairy to make up for it.

I eat very high fiber, at least 50% more than what is recommended (no, never have any regularity problems). Breakfast is some sort of a low carb soy thing with flaxseed. I carb it up with maple syrup and blueberries and milk. Mmmmm. Eggs are not bad either. I always bring my lunch to work. Always high veggie and very low if any refined carbs. I am not a carb freak but I noticed that I feel very restless if I eat too much of them and then I fall asleep. I already have trouble enough staying awake at my boring job as is - so I have to be careful what I eat.

Over the years I noticed that my body is getting more sensitive to what I eat. It is not only refined stuff but also things like artifical sweeteners and highly processed stuff. I get headaches, cramps or get wired. As long as I eat stuff that is not overly processed I do just fine.

Vicky

wabmester said:
I guess you can interpret data the way you want to, but I think there's a wide consensus that high triglycerides is an independent risk factor for CHD and stroke. Here's a pretty graph from a drug company trying to sell you drugs:

FWIW, I'm envious of your high HDL. Those puppies will carry all the bad crap out of your system.
Yeah, I see that chart. The problem is that many hi-TG people also have high total cholesterol, high ldl or low hdl, and i havent seen a study with high TG people with good cholesterol numbers that shows the same bad results. I also see a lot of docs saying its bad, but they always use words like 'seems' and 'appears' and 'might'.

Fish oil and oatmeal with extra oat bran and other similar stuff might be the source of the high hdl's both me and the wife enjoy. On the other hand, this is the first time either of us has had bloodwork done in a while and I dont remember what my HDLs were the last time.

() said:
The problem is that many hi-TG people also have high total cholesterol, high ldl or low hdl, and i havent seen a study with high TG people with good cholesterol numbers that shows the same bad results.

You'll find plenty of studies if you try that google I gave you. That's what *independent* risk factor means -- high triglycerides is a risk factor even for people with low LDL.

Well, I was a walking time bomb, my Tri's were over 400.

What age group are these guys with "major coronary incidents"?

I've lost 60 lbs since that test. I need to get tested again.

vic said:
Could not be happier with my bloodwork:
Total cholestrol    187
HDL chol                75
LDL chol                 94
Triglycherides        89
LDL/HDL ratio        1.26

I don't eat much meat, just don't care for it too much and I don't digest it well. I don't mind eating it when I go out dinner but I don't like cooking it myself. It groses me out to see blood on a plate or when bones are sticking out of something. I can only deal with it when I wear latex gloves or poke at it with a fork. So forget  about even eating it at the end. I can handle a little tuna fish out of a can and sandwich meat and the like. I eat tons of soy stuff, eggs, beans and dairy to make up for it.

I eat very high fiber, at least 50% more than what is recommended (no, never have any regularity problems). Breakfast is some sort of a low carb soy thing with flaxseed. I carb it up with maple syrup and blueberries and milk. Mmmmm. Eggs are not bad either. I always bring my lunch to work. Always high veggie and very low if any refined carbs. I am not a carb freak but I noticed that I feel very restless if I eat too much of them and then I fall asleep. I already have trouble enough staying awake at my boring job as is - so I have to be careful what I eat.

Over the years  I noticed that my body is getting more sensitive to what I eat. It is not only refined stuff but also things like artifical sweeteners and highly processed stuff. I get headaches, cramps or get wired. As long as I eat stuff that is not overly processed I do just fine.

Vicky

I eat a lot of meat at home (not necessarily beef), but usually just a salad
when I eat out (unless it's Mickey Ds). Anyway, dropping my total cholestrol
score 54 points and a good heartscan, (along with no bad family history)
have reduced the "worry level". I've got plenty of other issues though.

JG

Last November my blood test came back with the usual great results,

Cholesterol 148
HDL 50
LDL 90
TG 42

Except for lots of eggs, low fat cheeses and chicken, I eat very little that has animal fat. I do eat a lot of oatmeal and garlic. I love meats and good cold cuts but will rarely eat them only when I am away from home.

Back 2001 my stats were awful.
Cholesterol 256
HDL 37
LDL 159
TG 300

I made some minor changes to my diet and increased my exercise regiment. 6 months later, I had dropped 20 lbs of fat and got the following surprise results.
Cholesterol 160
HDL 50
LDL 100
TG 42

MJ said:
I made some minor changes to my diet

Those are some dramatic differences. What were the "minor" diet changes?

wabmester said:
Those are some dramatic differences.   What were the "minor" diet changes?

One thing I love about the "Wab" diet is that I can have bacon and eggs
again (seldom do, but still). For 35 years I may have bacon and eggs for breakfast once or twice (with guilt on the side). Now, I can enjoy with
gusto if I wish.

JG

wabmester said:
Those are some dramatic differences. What were the "minor" diet changes?

I believe the key to "my" success was losing the 1st 10% of body fat. To lose weight, I stopped eating the company "free" weekly bagels loaded with fat rich creme cheese. I stop taking home the access bagels and tubs of creme cheese. I stopped eating all the junk foods that were putout by the reception desk. I stopped eating eggs although I am back to about 9 eggs a week. I stopped drinking coffee. I began eating more salads as the main meal with several cloves of raw garlic. I ate oatmeal for breakfast almost every day. I actually like the stuff. I religiously trimmed the fat and skin from my chicken.

That's pretty much it.

By the way, I was so shocked by the bad test results and retook the tests because I didn't believe them. They came back a bit worse the cholesterol was at 276.

MJ said:
I believe the key to "my" success was losing the 1st 10% of body fat. To lose weight, I stopped eating the company "free" weekly bagels loaded with fat rich creme cheese. I stop taking home the access bagels and tubs of creme cheese. I stopped eating all the junk foods that were putout by the reception desk. I stopped eating eggs although I am back to about 9 eggs a week. I stopped drinking coffee. I began eating more salads as the main meal with several cloves of raw garlic. I ate oatmeal for breakfast almost every day. I actually like the stuff. I religiously trimmed the fat and skin from my chicken.

Interesting. You've demonstrated that eggs have nothing to do with your poor results. I bet if you added cream cheese back in, you'd also notice no difference. It was the carbs, dude. Bagels and packaged junk foods are pure carbs. That's the same crap that put my triglycerides into the stratosphere (and dropped my HDL).

wabmester said:
Interesting. You've demonstrated that eggs have nothing to do with your poor results. I bet if you added cream cheese back in, you'd also notice no difference. It was the carbs, dude. Bagels and packaged junk foods are pure carbs. That's the same crap that put my triglycerides into the stratosphere (and dropped my HDL).

I still eat at least a pound of pita bread a week as well as rice ,potatoes and pasta so I don't think so. For me, it may have been a combination of weigh loss and eliminating a lot of cream cheese which I suspect has a heck of lot more cholesterol than 9 eggs (I know not very scientific). The junk food (cookies, chocolates) at the reception desk was there for public consumption but you could not be a pig. I also continued to lose more weight. My current weight ranges through the year between 180 to 190 on my 6' body. I figure I lost approx. 40 - 45 lbs of fat.

For all you tightwads -

Think about how much $$ you save by staying in good shape. Fewer visits, fewer pills, fewer future problems. One of the best investments in my book.

wildcat said:
For all you tightwads -

Think about how much $$ you save by staying in good shape.  Fewer visits, fewer pills, fewer future problems.  One of the best investments in my book.

Very true wildcat, however you may have to spring for a new wardrobe.  ;)  After starting the South Beach over a 1 1/2 yrs ago and keeping 30-plus pounds off, I counted 10 pairs of dress pants I have to give away & replace. But believe me, that's a good expense to have. And much less costly long-term, eh?

Bookm

Yeah, try this for $ pain. I went from 38 pants to 36, bought a new wardrobe, then went to 34 and did it again, and the 34's are starting to get loose! But hey, it's well worth it. No more snoring or heartburn, for one.

Laurence said:
Yeah, try this for $ pain.  I went from 38 pants to 36, bought a new wardrobe, then went to 34 and did it again, and the 34's are starting to get loose!  But hey, it's well worth it.  No more snoring or heartburn, for one.

Ouch! Did you ever think you'd have the "problem" of trying to stop loosing weight? DW told me to stop, 'cause I was getting too skinny. ::) At 5'10" and 195, I said, "Say waaah?" So now I hover around 200, and I'm stayin' at size 34.

Bookm

I'm kind of addicted to the excercise now, so it's kind of just a by product. Plus I always wondered if I could get a six pack. :D

Laurence said:
Yeah, try this for $ pain.  I went from 38 pants to 36, bought a new wardrobe, then went to 34 and did it again, and the 34's are starting to get loose!  But hey, it's well worth it.  No more snoring or heartburn, for one.
That's cheaper than the alternatives, especially if your snoring was making your spouse evaluate your life insurance.

As for the six-pack abs, try a library copy of Bill Phillips' "Body For Life". Ignore the hokum but enjoy the crunches. The same "abdominal crunch" exercises are probably all over the internet, too.

BTW my physical therapist claims that triathlons (running/biking) tend to hyperdevelop your hamstrings. When that happens your other leg muscles back off, your joints are less stable, and knee trouble can result. He recommends hamstring stretches to keep the other muscles involved, and weight exercises on your adductors/abductors. It's working for my knees.

Wow, even for the shorter distance Tri's? Thanks for the heads up!

My friend raves about the body for life stuff, I'll look into the excercises, but if I'm being brutally honest, I still have ten pounds around the middle that need to go before the muscle can show. :)

Back
Top Bottom