The way to ER immediately?

LOL, Would it have been such a waste to build his hut tall enough to stand up in?

It is food for thought on what does it really take to be happy. 1800's farmers probably weren't all unhappy because they didn't a have a modern lifestyle they didn't even know existed.

It certainly is quicker and simpler to learn to be happier with very little than it is to build up huge amounts of savings.

Strictly speaking, this lifestyle is not ER but ESR (Early Semi Retirement) as they still have to generate some earned income, no matter how little.

During the winter, he decamps to Hawaii to surf and avoid the harsh weather.

How does he manage that on $5,000 / year?

Same way al these ER wunderkinder do it- he lies.

Ha

"I live in a hole in the ground. It is great!"

He had to leave his stressful job as a photojournalist in Kentucky. Is that on any list of stressful jobs? Another story that just screams for the other side of it.

Regardless, he should find a Hawaiian hobbit hole to live in year round.

I know someone just like that guy (looks like him too), except he had the good sense not to have kids.
He really was happier with less. We were roommates in the late seventies when he inherited a fortune - about 100k. On advice from others, he bought a house and a new Toyota pickup, got married, finished his teaching degree. Lasted about three years.
Today he lives in Hawaii (in someones garage) and works at a healthfood store, plays beach volleyball and seems happy.

IMO it is a matter of exploring what one really wants and paying the full price to get it.

But the individual should be aware that the wants might not be permanent ones.
So burning bridges (like losing contact to kids, friends and family) could backfire if the wants change.

Also, the price for extreme lifestyle is that there will be less options for change the older the individual gets.

Nice recumbent trike. They start out at about $2600 + tax for the cheapest ones. Doesn't leave much of the $5k to live on that first year.

Nice recumbent trike. They start out at about $2600 + tax for the cheapest ones. Doesn't leave much of the $5k to live on that first year.

Nah, I built mine from scrap parts for $200, then added a hub motor for steep hill assist for another $80 (they are rough on hills but oh so comfortable on the butt).

Helps if you know how to TIG weld aluminum though...

What does he care about GEICO car insurance? He has no car.

However, he would want healthcare, and I wonder if he has been able to get through healthcare.gov with his MacBook Air.

I was wondering about toilet and bathing facilities more than anything else. Regarding the Hawaii trip, I used to work with a guy who previously had spent several years living on a beach in Hawaii
Life's a beach for some homeless in Hawaii - USATODAY.com

What's round trip airfare to Hawaii these days? That's got to eat up a bit of his $5,000. I suspect he's not counting any welfare benefits he may be getting, like food stamps. That said, at least he's not living under a bridge or on the street. And there is something to be said for the simple life, or as my DW likes to say: "He who owns little is little-owned".

I was wondering about toilet and bathing facilities more than anything else. Regarding the Hawaii trip, I used to work with a guy who previously had spent several years living on a beach in Hawaii
Life's a beach for some homeless in Hawaii - USATODAY.com

A couple of years ago we hiked the Kalalau trail in Kauai, Hawaii (absolutely dangerous but gorgeous). There were quite a few homeless hippie types at the end of the trail living on and around the beach. They have a nice waterfall to drink from and quite a bit of fruit growing on the trees. Oh, and little pockets of weed here and there.

I mean it isn't the life for me, but it didn't seem like living in a cardboard box in NYC either.

On the subject of living with less.......here is an amusing story...

Yesterday I noticed my neighbor had returned home from his Camp-where he has his 5th wheel trailer set up and they go there each weekend for 6 months of the year.

He came in with his dually pickup with a flat trailer attached, his wife arrived with her
Trailblazer with thier box trailer attached...The collection got me wondering...how many tires does my neighbor have on his vehicles:confused:??

So I made a list. Between his dually, her SUV, the 5th wheel, 3-4 wheelers, a box trailer, a dual axle flat trailer, a golf cart and his Harley trike, plus his riding mower, tiller and snowblower, plus the spares on the truck, SUV, 5th wheel and on one trailer, I came up with 50 tires!!!!!!!!! FIFTY tires!!!!!

and 18 axles, 8 batteries, ..

They have no kids. They are not by any means wealthy....he retired this past year but it must be a full time job keeping all those tires and batteries maintained....not to mention registrations and inspections and GASOLINE!!!!!!!!

Thankfully they are very neat and keep all this stuff either in a small garage and shed, or inside the box trailer.

I can't get my mind around it!!!!!

I gotta find something else to do on a rainy Sunday!!!!!!! But all those vehicles arriving at once got to me!!!!

PS I analyzed my own tire situation and realize I have 20, including spares. ( SUV, vintage car, Harley,tiller, snow blower and riding mower.)

For ONE person. Does that not seem excessive?!?!?!?!?

Think Im gonna by stock in Goodyear!!!!!

Where does he get power from?..
Nowadays, for $500-1000, one can get a decent-sized solar panel, a charge controller, a couple of deep cycle batteries, an inverter, and have all the power needed for electronics, plus lighting at night.

That's what RV'ers do, so they can camp out in the wild in comfort without hookup (or to surf the Web while at Walmarts for a night stop :angel:).

Last edited:
Get snowmobiles. More toys without increasing your tire budget! :D

Back
Top Bottom