Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like it worked out well, Ray.

I've already told my kids they would be partially responsible for paying for college (tuition and fees, at the least, will be on us), so that answers the "well, I don't really need money" rebuttal.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think all kids should work some and earn their own money. Primarily to let them understand what it takes to make a buck. But also to get a better appreciation for work itself. I tell younger people, you can make money with your back or your brain. One will make life a lot tougher and old before your time, the other is the easier route. So school and college are important, but there is no reason in my mind that any kid can't work some and contribute to their education expenses.

In all fairness for the question, I worked full-time during non-school time since 15 (had to ride my bicycle to work until I got my license) and then 20-25 hours/week part-time during school. I also graduated with no student debt, although I also did not go on spring break vacations, or spend the summers doing nothing. Being an engineer, I also did some co-op time in college, and took 5 years to get done. Been working FT ever since, and just two weeks ago stepped down to 3 days/week. It's been great.

For OP, glad you got your son out of the house some, it is good for him to have the job and to learn some of the working world. The discipline of working once school starts may be good for him, it will force him to allocate time for school vs studying vs game time. Good practice for life later.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
eventually, you have to study. found that out the hard way

Isnt that the truth...First semester I took a class in my major got a C, and went to professor asking if there was extra credit...He just laughed. Thats when I knew it was time to dig in. Only 4 tests and nothing else for a grade. I don't know if I learned how to be a better student but I went to my only bag of tricks I knew...Look for testing tendencies and memorize everything in the short term memory bank. Pulled out top score last 2 exams and got the A for the semester.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #24

Quote:
maybe he'll meet someone and get to spend that cash on dates

Yeah, so that there was a squeeze -For a little while there.. A brilliant over achiever with a tiger mom. Lots of smooching.
It ended after a month or two. He won't discuss it but it was clear he ended it. I think she was into bling.. My son not so much.

Plenty of time for all that...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The youngest has job...
Old 07-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #25

The youngest has job...

So he came home with the money from his first week. I said hand it over which he did and I gave it to his mom and said put it in his bank account. I think I'll have the Mrs have him go to the bank and make the deposit. I said you'll have a pile of money all your own. Won't that be nice. He said yes.

If you need spending money just ask..
Not sure it is the best way to handle it but WaWa isn't getting his pay. At least not on my watch.
I give him the spending money ...
Old 07-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
OTOH--some summer jobs will be remembered as the best job ever. Like everyone else in our family, DS spent several summers lifeguarding. He also bartended during college. I'm sometimes surprised he still isn't working in those jobs, he had so much fun with them.
I did the lifeguard thing in HS and the bartender/bouncer thing in college. Result-I hate the beach and I hate going to bars. The bars because I see/saw people blowing their meager paychecks every week, for what? The beach because when I go I'm always looking for the victims. Like I am still on duty or something. "Sir, are you the lifeguard? No, but I did stay at a Holiday inn Express last night".

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #27

Quote:
eventually, you have to study. found that out the hard way
+1

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
So he came home with the money from his first week. I said hand it over which he did and I gave it to his mom and said put it in his bank account. I think I'll have the Mrs have him go to the bank and make the deposit. I said you'll have a pile of money all your own. Won't that be nice. He said yes.

If you need spending money just ask..
Not sure it is the best way to handle it but WaWa isn't getting his pay. At least not on my watch.
I give him the spending money ...
My two boys, now 19 and 17, have had summer jobs, this is the third summer. I used this as an opportunity to have them open checking accounts and arrange direct deposit (we have never ordered checks though). Local bank had a $100 incentive to open accounts some years ago.

I've been fortunate that they have followed my LBYM example and they haven't spend much over the year. Started early on telling them it's a great opportunity to contribute to a Roth IRA, the principal is available for withdrawals at any time, and I'd provide a 50% match........give me $2K and we'll deposit $3K into the account. Leaves them with about a third of their earnings as spending money and I don't police it, don't want them to think I just give money away.

The older one has done some nominal upgrades to our older PC for gaming (video card and power supply upgrades) and occasionally buys games. The younger one spends on eating out with friends. Any paper checks that come their way ends up in credit union savings accounts they've had since they were toddlers

The older one starts college in a little over a month. I've told them that tuition & room & board (what is billed by school) will be covered by me but anything else is on his money. Haven't figured out books as I'd like him to have skin in the game to decide what's best: new/used/rented (online rentals).

To date, haven't assessed anything for car use as cars are shared and I can't say they have used them excessively for joy-riding. 90% of their driving is activities I'd support and drive them to anyway if they didn't have licenses.

Got the older one a credit card when turned 18, I"m also on the account. Tell him to charge something each month, typical bill is $20-30 except prom season where the credit card bill was a bit over $100. He pays that bill (limit is $1000). Will do same with younger one when he is 18.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The youngest has job...
Old 07-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #29

The youngest has job...

I'm hoping the youngest is half as responsible as the the older one...
Im thinking he may surprise me.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
I did the lifeguard thing in HS and the bartender/bouncer thing in college. Result-I hate the beach and I hate going to bars. The bars because I see/saw people blowing their meager paychecks every week, for what? The beach because when I go I'm always looking for the victims. Like I am still on duty or something. "Sir, are you the lifeguard? No, but I did stay at a Holiday inn Express last night".

I kind had forgotten over the years why I got my first job at age 14. I guess I was a major PIA for parents to get me to go to Church as I hated going as a teenager as it was a small old foggy church with no one my age. I guess I exasperated my dad to the point that he said I will go to church unless I have a job that requires work on Sundays. Got a job immediately in a restaurant Saturdays and Sundays all through high school and never stopped working until retirement.

The youngest has job...
Old 07-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #31

The youngest has job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I kind had forgotten over the years why I got my first job at age 14. I guess I was a major PIA for parents to get me to go to Church as I hated going as a teenager as it was a small old foggy church with no one my age. I guess I exasperated my dad to the point that he said I will go to church unless I have a job that requires work on Sundays. Got a job immediately in a restaurant Saturdays and Sundays all through high school and never stopped working until retirement.

The brother and I would drop off the donation and go fishing...
We were not bad guys - the heat, the people I hated it.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The brother and I would drop off the donation and go fishing...
We were not bad guys - the heat, the people I hated it.

Well, Ray take solace in the fact you were one step better than me growing up.