Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's a huge contribution. I just can't imagine what you can do with that much money -
that once you get to a billion, anything after that is just numbers. What needs to happen is that the hundreds or thousands of billionaires get the message.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I hears on NPR this morning that the Chan-Zuckerberg foundation won't be set up as a charity. Instead it will be an LLC, so they can do other things that a charity can't do, like invest in for-profit research or advocate for policy change.

I respect them for thinking out of the box on how to make their money work for good as well as for committing to give so much away.

By the way, she's 30 and he's 31.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
What needs to happen is that the hundreds or thousands of billionaires get the message.
Better stick with "hundreds" since there are less than 2000 billionaires world wide, in 2015, according to Forbes. (According to the Forbes 2015 list there are 1826 billionaires world wide, and 526 of those are in the US)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cynical is my middle name, but I am impressed. I'll google it now but I imagine that besides ths gesture, he has given the equivalent of my $10 to the SA bell ringer many times over.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am impressed too. Some of those guys use wealth as a measuring stick and just try to pile up as much as possible. It's great that others are giving a very significant amount of it back. It doesn't bother me that what they are keeping still makes them uber rich.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
There is also the club that Gates/Buffett solicit membership to. To qualify, you have to commit half your fortune to charity. This could eventually change the American image from a bunch of grasping capitalists.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think it is pretty sad that there is so much cynicism about this.
I agree. One post I saw on FB was something like, "Oh, great, they're throwing it all to corrupt charities and it will be wasted". Some people won't be happy with anything the uber-rich do unless it involves a check written directly to them.

Warren Buffet, BTW, should be added to this list. He's given/will give huge amounts to The Gates Foundation because he trusts them to do good works with his money. While Gates, Buffet and Zuckerberg aren't exactly impoverishing themselves, it's heartening to see people who want to do good with their "excess" money instead of seeing how many houses they can own.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #28

Quite impressive! Zuckerberg seems like the type that will put the $ to some great causes and do a lot of good.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I still cant figure out why everyone feels its necessary to pledge they are going to give away the majority of THEIR money! I guess cause said [Mod edit] that she was giving most of her wealth away...apparently every other rich person should do the same.

Its great when the ultra rich build schools, hospitals, donate to medical research to help out those less fortunate....but the bottom line is it is their money. They can do whatever they want with it. We shouldnt expect them to give it all away. And people shouldnt cry and complain when a billionaire buys a $500 million dollar yacht.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread is fascinating. Not in a good way.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #31

Even after he gives away 99%, he will still never need to worry about healthcare, vacations, long term care, or any of the other myriad of things we discuss on here. IF you still have a billion or two left, times are not going to be hard.

It is a good thing he is doing but the amount of money should not make it a heroic, newsworthy event any more than the $10 in the bucket. It is likely the person who is putting $10 into the bucket DOES have to worry about paying for healthcare, which vacation if any they can afford, etc.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

I think it is pretty sad that there is so much cynicism about this.
I guess I don't see it as either cynicism or sad. It's just an observation.

It's true, isn't it, that people who are this rich and give away much of it, are still left with so much that they are still very, very, very rich? It isn't really a 'sacrifice'. In terms of sacrifice, $10 from most of us probably is more of a sacrifice than giving away billions, when that billions really means nothing to you. Some of us here go to some effort to save $10 on a purchase, but a muti-billionaire really won't miss even a majority of their money vanishing.

As others have said, for some of these people, it's just a counting game. Bragging rights to be near the top of the net worth list. But he is exchanging that for another set of bragging rights - the right to brag that he's being charitable. Notice that he didn't do this unannounced?

There's no judgment intended in my comments. He is free to keep it, spend it, give it away quietly or with fanfare, or any combination. I'm just calling it out for what it is. I think it's good that he's giving it away, but seriously, what else would he do with it?

JMO - ERD50
Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess I don't see it as either cynicism or sad. It's just an observation.

It's true, isn't it, that people who are this rich and give away much of it, are still left with so much that they are still very, very, very rich? It isn't really a 'sacrifice'. In terms of sacrifice, $10 from most of us probably is more of a sacrifice than giving away billions, when that billions really means nothing to you. Some of us here go to some effort to save $10 on a purchase, but a muti-billionaire really won't miss even a majority of their money vanishing.
+1 Someone gets what I was trying to say.

Now Zucker doesn't live a super high life to my knowledge. He drives a VW Golf. Still, I am guessing he flies first class instead of coach and probably does not stress over paying full price at the theater instead of waiting for the movie on DVD.

The past few years we donated well over $2000 to charity each year and yet I flew super saver coach to visit my parents even though I am 6'7" and was miserable on the flight. I can't find any news story touting my sacrifice though.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I still cant figure out why everyone feels its necessary to pledge they are going to give away the majority of THEIR money! I guess cause Oprah opened her fat mouth that she was giving most of her wealth away...apparently every other rich person should do the same.

Its great when the ultra rich build schools, hospitals, donate to medical research to help out those less fortunate....but the bottom line is it is their money. They can do whatever they want with it. We shouldnt expect them to give it all away. And people shouldnt cry and complain when a billionaire buys a $500 million dollar yacht.
The highlighting above is mine. I am not a fan of Oprah Winfrey...quite the opposite. But I am a fan of keeping this board clear of hate speak.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
The highlighting above is mine. I am not a fan of Oprah Winfrey...quite the opposite. But I am a fan of keeping this board clear of hate speak.
It's not a judgement, it's just an observation!

(I'm trying to be light-hearted about that, it's kind of riffing on my previous post)

-ERD50
Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
If I said something that wasnt accurate then I will apologize. Orpah had an entire campaign demanding ultra rich to donate all of their money. Its ridiculous. But, she has such a huge following that everyone agrees with her.

And about her mouth...youtube "oprah and the yelling goat" That about sums up my observation on her.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
+1.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
+1 Someone gets what I was trying to say.

Now Zucker doesn't live a super high life to my knowledge. He drives a VW Golf. Still, I am guessing he flies first class instead of coach and probably does not stress over paying full price at the theater instead of waiting for the movie on DVD.

The past few years we donated well over $2000 to charity each year and yet I flew super saver coach to visit my parents even though I am 6'7" and was miserable on the flight. I can't find any news story touting my sacrifice though.
Since I love analogies, maybe this will help explain it to others, and I can work in your height reference:

Story #1: Let's imagine I'm walking down a city sidewalk, and some child is crying - their helium balloon is stuck in a tree. I try to help, but I can't reach the string either (I don't have the needed resources). I go into the store, buy a $100 ladder with cash, and retrieve the balloon for the child. Then I turn to the next homeless person I see, and give them the ladder and the receipt, and tell them they can keep the cash from the return.

Now that story might make the news as a nice human interest piece.

Story #2: Let's imagine that Fermion is walking down a city sidewalk, and some child is crying - their helium balloon is stuck in a tree. He can easily reach the balloon (he has the needed resources) and retrieves it for the child. Then Fermion goes home, and writes a $100 check to donate to the local homeless mission.

Now that story is not going to make the news as a nice human interest piece.

Why not? The end result was the same? But it was so easy for Fermion, it wasn't noteworthy. It took effort on my part. But this multi-billion donation from Z'berg really takes little/no effort either. It's still 'nice' of him - it's just not a big sacrifice is all.

-ERD50
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
If I said something that wasnt accurate then I will apologize. Orpah had an entire campaign demanding ultra rich to donate all of their money. Its ridiculous. But, she has such a huge following that everyone agrees with her.

And about her mouth...youtube "oprah and the yelling goat" That about sums up my observation on her.
I have lots of observations about people and their actions too. But I will always avoid disparaging comments to make my point. I have very rarely seen comments such as yours on this board, and I credit the maturity and intelligence of the moderators and most of the members for that.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1.
And what's wrong? -ERD50