Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I have lots of observations about people and their actions too. But I will always avoid disparaging comments to make my point. I have very rarely seen comments such as yours on this board, and I credit the maturity and intelligence of the moderators and most of the members for that.
I understand. Some people have different ways of getting a point across. Ill keep that in mind for future comments.

Also...this forum doesnt have much activity in general. It seems to have a small following. Maybe thats why? Theres only the regulars and or users who have been here for a while. Im surprised how few new threads are started here...or how many new comments in general are posted. Guess I have to spend more time at bogleheads. Its too bad as im all about retiring early and was hoping to find a ton of info related to that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wasn't aware that charity giving has to be a sacrifice, and only sacrifices are news worthy events. Someone giving away tens of billions of dollars, even over 50 years, is news worthy.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Also...this forum doesnt have much activity in general. It seems to have a small following. Maybe thats why? Theres only the regulars and or users who have been here for a while. Im surprised how few new threads are started here...or how many new comments in general are posted. Guess I have to spend more time at bogleheads. Its too bad as im all about retiring early and was hoping to find a ton of info related to that.
ER.org is much more lenient than Bogleheads in regard to content of posts. The mods here have even let threads run with a "hot topic" warning such that useful information can still be harvested from the chaff. But have fun over there. Say hi to Lady and her sack of padlocks.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I wasn't aware that charity giving has to be a sacrifice, and only sacrifices are news worthy events. Someone giving away tens of billions of dollars, even over 50 years, is news worthy.
OK, I agree the amount makes it newsworthy.

-ERD50
Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I see nothing wrong with this thread. The comments that some have called cynical are really just jealousy, because none of us can even imagine what it would be like to have a billion dollars, much less 45 billion. Jealousy isn't that pretty, but it's perfectly understandable.

However, I do see that the Zuckerbergs have given something away. What they've given away is the opportunity to take that pile of money and build it into a pile that's a dozen times taller.

Instead, they've chosen to take that pile of money and use it in ways that will improve life on our planet. And if the publicity they get will encourage other billionaires to do the same, that's great.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
This thread is fascinating. Not in a good way.
I find the negative comments disheartening and somewhat ironic. To me, such comments come across as the wealthy and privileged and "lucky" (which most of us are, relative to the general population) taking the opportunity to bash somebody who's even more wealthy and privileged and "lucky".
Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Or maybe...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #48

I will admit I am jealous. I would love to have 30 billion dollars and be able to announce I am going to give away most of it by the time I am 90.

As a matter of fact, if someone wants to gofundme for something around that amount, I will go one step further and announce I will give away 99.5% of it over my lifetime. Instead, we will probably give away 100% of what we have left when we die, which will not be much at all at age 90.

I am much more impressed with someone like Prince Harry serving as a Apache helicopter pilot and going on rescue missions when they could easily just live a easy life of fame and luxury.

For all of the money Bill and Warren give away, they are still the richest men in the world. Neither one of them are working in a soup kitchen or anything.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Instead, they've chosen to take that pile of money and use it in ways that will improve life on our planet. And if the publicity they get will encourage other billionaires to do the same, that's great
Bingo!

As much as you and I try to help others with a few hundred bucks, if we can "shame" the folks who really can make a difference to do something on a massive scale, the world could be a far better place. There might be a lot fewer organizations like ISIS if that part of the world improved significantly.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
if we can "shame" the folks who really can make a difference to do something on a massive scale
So they should be punished for being insanely successful? What kind of mentality is that? I love the new era of thinking. Im glad im still relatively young. I cant wait to see what direction humanity takes in the next decade...let alone 40 years from now.

Things like facebook and twitter allow everyone who never had a voice to now express themselves in a positive or negative way. Its quite fascinating. Gotta love the social justice warriors who flex their muscles behind a keyboard, lol. The worst part is people choose to gang up on insignificant matters...like the cecil the lion thing. Every day in the congo 5,000 children die from dirty water, 5,000 EVERY SINGLE DAY...and the social justice warriorS are concerned about a lion. A lion that not one single person in Africa cared about...thats the kicker. Do not anthropomorphize animals! Given the opportunity these cuddly lions, bears, hippos, chimps...would eat you!

Thank god im not a part of facebook, twitter, instagram, etc etc. I only know 2 people under the age of 35 who do not have facebook. Very interesting.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #51

Can we keep this discussion friendly and positive, as intended by the thread topic?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I say hats off to Zuckerburg and Chan. This gift will positively impact lives and provide opportunities for those involved. Enough said!
Old 12-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Amazing cynicism. They don't have to give anything, and it will amount to billions, but that's not a sacrifice worthy of note?

How do you figure?
+2.
Zuckerman, Gates, Buffett and other billionaire philanthropists have my profound appreciation and gratitude. It will be interesting to see how they implement the distribution plan.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I find the negative comments ... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
Personally, I see nothing wrong with this thread. The comments that some have called cynical are really just jealousy, ...
I guess I just don't understand this. Which comments were 'negative'? Did anyone criticize him for giving it away? If so, I missed those posts, sorry.

And where is the jealousy? I'm not saying I don't wish I had $45B or even M, but where is the jealousy in the comments?

Quote:
Instead, they've chosen to take that pile of money and use it in ways that will improve life on our planet. And if the publicity they get will encourage other billionaires to do the same, that's great.
But where is the money now? Surely not in a million mattresses, or buried in millions of tin cans in a very large back yard? Maybe it is doing good right now, providing loans to people to buy houses, or cars to get to work? Or providing investments in start up companies that might change the world?

Maybe it is better in the hands of a charity, but I'd have to say I really don't know how to measure that.

-ERD50
Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess I just don't understand this. Which comments were 'negative'? Did anyone criticize him for giving it away? If so, I missed those posts, sorry.

And where is the jealousy? I'm not saying I don't wish I had $45B or even M, but where is the jealousy in the comments?
Without rereading the thread. There are plenty of posts that suggests the Zuckerbergs aren't sacrificing because they will still be rich. Or arbitrarily suggesting that someone giving $10 to the Salvation Army is a bigger sacrifice. Or that if they want to make a statement they should give it all away.

If they give away billions to make the world a better place, that's generous/admirable - period. Why do we care if they still have plenty? Or that they'll legally minimize their taxes? Or that they give it away over a lifetime vs faster?

The money did not fall in their laps, and they don't have to give back a penny. Why is it necessary to diminish their contribution at all? Cynicism? Jealousy?

But I have no doubt we disagree once again, surprise...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And where is the jealousy? I'm not saying I don't wish I had $45B or even M, but where is the jealousy in the comments?-ERD50
In my interpretation, the jealousy is underlying the comments that have the tone of "Giving so much money away is not really a sacrifice for someone who has so much." YMMV.

Quote:
But where is the money now? Surely not in a million mattresses, or buried in millions of tin cans in a very large back yard? Maybe it is doing good right now, providing loans to people to buy houses, or cars to get to work? Or providing investments in start up companies that might change the world?

Maybe it is better in the hands of a charity, but I'd have to say I really don't know how to measure that.

-ERD50
The money right now is a bunch of Facebook shares that are owned personally by the Zuckerbergs. It doesn't pay any dividends, so it's just a stock certificate sitting in a drawer somewhere.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Without rereading the thread. There are plenty of posts that suggests the Zuckerbergs aren't sacrificing because they will still be rich. Or arbitrarily suggesting that someone giving $10 to the Salvation Army is a bigger sacrifice. Or that if they want to make a statement they should give it all away.

If they give away billions to make the world a better place, that's generous/admirable - period. Why do we care if they still have plenty? Or that they'll legally minimize their taxes? Or that they give it away over a lifetime vs faster?

The money did not fall in their laps, and they don't have to give back a penny. Why is it necessary to disparage their contribution at all? Cynicism? Jealousy?

We disagree once again, surprise...
Thanks for the explanation - I think it helps.

I think the disconnect is this - I don't see the comments of it "not being a sacrifice" as critical, cynical, disparaging, or negative in any way, or having anything to do with jealousy. It's simply an observation.

Don't you agree? What has he 'sacrificed'? Will his life be any different if he gave this amount away tomorrow? It does not seem so, he can still afford anything he wants, with plenty of margin.

And not being a sacrifice doesn't make the donation any more/less of anything. It doesn't diminish anything. If the money will do good, it will do good. Sacrifice or not has nothing to do with that.

I think the comments about a $10 donation from average folks are just attempts to put this in perspective. I don't view those commenters as jealous or anything. That's all.

It's his money, if he wants to keep enough to remain super-rich, good for him. If he wants to keep it all, good for him. It's his money. As I said earlier, it's not clear to me that the money isn't doing plenty of good right now - but I honestly don't know how to measure that. But that doesn't really matter either, just an observation, food for thought.

-ERD50
Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Are you saying the $10 contribution doesn't make the world a better place? Isn't it also admirable?

Why do we care how much the amount is? Why do we oooh and ahhh at someone who says that sometime in the future they will give away a large portion of their wealth but we don't even really pay attention when an average person drops some money in a bucket at a Safeway.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
The money right now is a bunch of Facebook shares that are owned personally by the Zuckerbergs. It doesn't pay any dividends, so it's just a stock certificate sitting in a drawer somewhere.
Interesting. So is this money actually tied up, sitting in a drawer and not doing anything? Maybe you are right. I'd have to think about that...

Well, if he sells $1B worth, the $1B comes from somewhere, right? And that $1B exists somewhere now, and it is doing something, presumably. It's probably in other investments?

Now my head hurts, this all seems very circular! I guess the value was created with the initial growth of FB shares, I'm fuzzy on what selling them now does, macro-wise.

-ERD50
Old 12-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Will be interesting in history what folks like him and Gates will be known for their tech life or being a generous philanthropist.

That said, I still complain about using FB .

Closed Thread