Join Early Retirement Today

Another Bathroom remodel...from start to finish....PICS & VIDEO
Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Bathroom remodel...from start to finish....PICS & VIDEO

Well, it's done. It took longer than expected, which was expected...so I guess it didnt.

You'll find start to finish pictures at the bottom of this post.. You'll notice my son has grown up quite a bit since he and I started my downstairs bathroom last year...his video from that project is in LASTY YEAR'S THEFED BATHROOM PROJECT

In this newest bath you will find some exquisite italian tile and tumbled marble...heated floors....a commode fit for a king...semi-built-in-stereo system, heated toilet seat, custom tray ceiling with small recessed vanity lights, night light emanating from beneath the vanity, granite counter tops, plenty of shelving in the shower for wife and kids, heater/fan combo for those extra cold days, outlets IN the vanity to hide rechargeable razor, a $200 faucet we got for $49, and one badass mirror my wife found for 90% off!!!

TheFed's 2nd Bath Remodel
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Administrator

It looks really nice. Congrats on a job well done!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice!! Did you do the heated floor yourself?? I'm impressed.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
gone traveling

Wow- great job thefed! The tile work is very impresive- did you do the mosaic accent strip yourself or buy it on a mesh backer? It matches the travertine perfectly. Well thought out and executed plan; love the custom details.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #5

thanks guys! yes i did the heated floor myself...very simple.

i certainly did not do the accent strip myself...i got it on the mesh backer
Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, tell me more about that heated floor. I hate cold tile.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #7

Great job, love the tile too.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
OK, tell me more about that heated floor. I hate cold tile.
that's a system from momento, although many companies offer them. for 35 sf it cost me about 200 for the heating cable, and 170 for a programable digital thermostat. you simply lay out the wire as shown, pour a thin layer of self leveling concrete over it (1/4"), then tile over that. Power requirement for that size is only 400w at 115v (3 amps). If you wire it 240v it would only draw about 1.5 amps.

Of course the digi programmable is sweet....you just set it to a certain temp, OR program times....or both...and it does the rest.....very very nice. it raises the floor temp over ambient about 15 degrees....could be more or less depending on subfloor
Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very impressive!
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Very nice work..... I should post some pics of the progress in my new rec room..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Most excellent. I like the RedGuard. And I really like the nightlight on the toekick-- I can see all sorts of possibilities with LED rope lights in our kitchen & bathrooms.

What are the silver boxes mounted high on the walls outside the shower-- audio speakers?

What's the reason for the tray ceiling? Does it make it easier to do ventilation soffits & wiring, or is it one of those décor decisions that I never understand?

Did the sink come undermounted to the granite countertop, or did you have to mount your own?

What's the brand/model of the exhaust fan?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Most excellent. I like the RedGuard. And I really like the nightlight on the toekick-- I can see all sorts of possibilities with LED rope lights in our kitchen & bathrooms.

What are the silver boxes mounted high on the walls outside the shower-- audio speakers?

What's the reason for the tray ceiling? Does it make it easier to do ventilation soffits & wiring, or is it one of those décor decisions that I never understand?

Did the sink come undermounted to the granite countertop, or did you have to mount your own?

What's the brand/model of the exhaust fan?
Yes, they are audio speakers. couldnt quite afford the built in model i wanted...so we opted for the $50 unit!

Tray ceiling is simply something we liked the look of in a vegas hotel room we stayed in the day before we began work...it was a pita....but worked out nicely.

sink came undermounted....we got that 49" vanity with side and backspash and sink from home depot special order for $300

Broan exhaust fan..its about $189 at home depot (or was it lowes?)....like i said it has a 1500w heater, and moves plenty of air
Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #13

Very nice job. It is wonderful that you are able to do such projects yourself. You are very handy.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Very nice job. It is wonderful that you are able to do such projects yourself. You are very handy.
i really cant imagine a life while not being handy. i'd be broke and in more debt...and frustrated
Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #15

You had me at the radiant heat on the floor. Love that bathroom! Could see myself standing at that mirror slapping on the creams for hours! Very, very nice.
I agree with you about the lights below the sink, by the way, and love the lights above the mirror. Very classy.
Beautiful tile. Beautiful job!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
You had me at the radiant heat on the floor. Love that bathroom! Could see myself standing at that mirror slapping on the creams for hours! Very, very nice.
I agree with you about the lights below the sink, by the way, and love the lights above the mirror. Very classy.
Beautiful tile. Beautiful job!
thank you! all this praise takes a LITTLE sting out of the pricetag, which i do not care to disclose
Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #17

Very nice! How do you keep the standing water out of the cut out in the tub wall? Wondering if you slanted the shelf ....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #18

I had one of those cut-out walls shelves in one of my bathrooms, and you can't keep the water out. Conscientious people actually wipe it down with a towel when they are thru and wipe all water out. I, however, let it sit. When it started to mildew--as it will eventually--just took Tilex spray and got rid of it in one fell swoop....which should tell you something about how much I just love to clean house.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

You're getting good at this stuff. What a big job.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Very nice! How do you keep the standing water out of the cut out in the tub wall? Wondering if you slanted the shelf ....

Being at the foot of the tub, no water has gotten on there. It is indeed slanted a bit to allow for drainage. I have one in our other shower, but it was too skinny, and th eslant alowed things to just slide right off! that's why we made this one so deep