Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BTW, I left GE soon as I was vested. I could not have worked there long term.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #42

I have three GE appliances, a fridge, a microwave, and an oven. I went for the low-tech versions, against the wishes of my advisor. Lol. These have lasted about ten years. I expect we'll do more homework next time.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #43

Recent kitchen upgrade 4 years ago:

- GE range. In the winter, it intermittently "resets" while baking. GE repair replaced stuff, no fix. I should have held their feet to the fire. Now we live it with always having to watch it while baking. Only happens during cool weather (bad connection or flaky circuit board)?

- Samsung Over the Range MWave: fails about once a year and I have to pull out the circuit board and clean the contacts on it. Well known problem ("The Samsung SE error"). Living with it now. Fortunately, the internet has helpful folks like the guy who tells us how to fix this problem. I'm a techie, I can deal with it. Most people can't.

Frankly, buying an appliance today that has a circuit board in it is roulette. It is now hard to get one without a board. They are not building these boards properly! We need some sort of revolt.

The good news (knock on wood) is that my Whirlpool fridge from this time is still OK. How long will that last?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
OK, I will provide two examples of what I consider unethical behavior I saw happening when I worked there:

1) take an existing supplier's part that was in production, and then open it up for new group of suppliers to bid. .... So much for supplier loyalty and valuing a long term working relationship. You think a supplier would try to make the best quality part under this scenario?

2) when a supplier comes up with a new technology or process method to make a part for some significant reduction in costs or reliability improvement, the purchasing guy would "leak" that knowledge to other suppliers and then request new bids that could use that original supplier's advantageous technology or processing. So much for supplier confidentiality. That is theft by my definition. ...
#1 can be considered good business (but developing good relationships can also be good business - there's a balance to be made). The quality level should be specified in the contract, I'm not a fan of 'counting' on a supplier to provide some unspecified level of quality. I'm a 'trust, but verify' kind of guy.

#2 sounds illegal if there were NDA's in place, and would get someone fired where I worked, I think.

-ERD50
Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I'm not surprised at all. Just about every major appliance mfg. makes a line of "builder's specials". Some were resistant to the idea at first, that it would give their brand a bad name over time.
And that's exactly what happened with us. They chose to do that and now their name is mud, at least with us. We will never buy anything made by GE again.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I do think quality of many items isn't what it should be. I somewhat blame the consumer for that.
I think it is harder to market/sell improved reliability/maintainability than it is to sell based on looks and new features. A shiny cabinet or color trim is right there to catch the eye of the buyer, and new features can be described right on the box or control knob. It takes years to develop a track record of improved reliability, and many shoppers just don't trust the rating agencies. And how to sell maintainability? "Like every microwave in the world, this one is eventually going to break. But we've designed this machine so you can easily tell what needs to be replaced, every part on this machine can be replaced by removing no more than 6 screws, we have online videos showing you how to do it safely, and we guarantee the parts will be in stock and reasonably priced for the next 15 years. See more at www.greatappliancesyoucanlivewith.com" I'd guess that approach would appeal to 3 people in a hundred, unfortunately. The rest stopped reading when you said the thing would someday break.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think it is harder to market/sell improved reliability/maintainability than it is to sell based on looks and new features.
Sadly, I think you're quite right. But the folks here are a bit unusual in being able to look for the long-term advantage. There was a time when I swore I'd never buy a Japanese car having grown up in an era when "Made in Japan" had the same stigma that "Made in China" has now, meaning that it was more junk than anything else.

Japan turned that ship around and now I'm driving a Honda because I believe it will be more reliable than American cars.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
BTW, I left GE soon as I was vested. I could not have worked there long term.
They sold my sub and somehow I ended up vested even though I'd been there (I thought) a shorter time than I had to be to vest- maybe because I was over 50 at the time of the sale? I get $932/month from them. I'll take it.

In the insurance business, a huge part of you liabilities are reserves- for claims you know about and also for claims that have occurred but haven't been reported to you yet. Naturally, this number is VERY mushy (think asbestos and other liabilities that take forever to report and settle). One actuary got so sick of the people at HQ wanting to book the lowest possible number and still get actuarial signoff that she told me, "I tell 'em you can pay me now or you can pay me later". When they sold the unit they had to discount the price a LOT because the buyer didn't like the reserve levels.