Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There goes GE Appliances, sold to Electrolux
Old 09-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,448
There goes GE Appliances, sold to Electrolux

Yuk. GE has entered into an agreement to sell their appliances division to Electrolux, the Euro-company that bought Frigidaire and years ago Eureka (vacuums).

I consider the GE heating appliances (smooth-top electric cooktops, electric wall ovens, microwaves) and build-in kits for the above to be the best.

And Electrolux to be overpriced and questionable. Time will tell if Electrolux follows a common Euro-centric pattern of thinking that they are the absolute best in everything, and those rube colonists over in North America just need to wise-up and buy their products.

Since they usually can't make significant inroads into the NA market on their own, a common Euro-way of doing this is to buy a NA company, then work in their Euro-products into it, while cutting the North American R & D that knew the home market the best. Been there, experienced it, yuk.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some new bail-out GE retirees show up in the next year or two here at E-R.org
__________________

__________________
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
mpeirce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus area
Posts: 1,590
The last couple of GE appliance products I've owned have been pretty shoddy (microwave and cooktop - both didn't last very long and I was happy to replace them), I say good riddance.

I just hope their jet engine quality stays in the "good" range ;-)
__________________

__________________
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I consider the GE heating appliances (smooth-top electric cooktops, electric wall ovens, microwaves) and build-in kits for the above to be the best.
We haven't bought GE appliances for some time. My recollection is (we bought a Samsung washer about 6 months ago) that GE's products weren't very competitive. They must have lost quite a marketshare but am shocked that it is being sold. I wonder if they are going to keep its brand name.
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
The last couple of GE appliance products I've owned have been pretty shoddy (microwave and cooktop - both didn't last very long and I was happy to replace them), I say good riddance.
The house we are in came with them and that has been our experience too. In 12 years we have replaced three of the original five. Not impressed at all.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
The last couple of GE appliance products I've owned have been pretty shoddy (microwave and cooktop - both didn't last very long and I was happy to replace them), I say good riddance.

I just hope their jet engine quality stays in the "good" range ;-)
Same experience here. IMHO GE has gone the way of Maytag…used to manuf great products, but no more.
__________________
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The house we are in came with them and that has been our experience too. In 12 years we have replaced three of the original five. Not impressed at all.
All the brands are equipped with printed circuit control boards these days, and a failure of one can "total" them. Even the vaunted Bosch dishwashers, a little puff of smoke and you got trouble.

I think white - westinghouse makes about 80% of the brands in north america
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Moderator
bssc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,929
We got GE appliances since DW used to work for them and we got an employee discount. Only problem we had was when the ice maker didn't work. The issue turned out that the circuit board wasn't plugged in right.
__________________
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
All the brands are equipped with printed circuit control boards these days, and a failure of one can "total" them. Even the vaunted Bosch dishwashers, a little puff of smoke and you got trouble.

I think white - westinghouse makes about 80% of the brands in north america
Those PC boards can be expensive to replace. Our 17 year old Thermador ovens look great but the display has gone very dim. The part cost is $335 plus maybe 1 to 2 hours to install for total cost of maybe $500.

So we probably will buy a new double oven.

Are GE ovens really that bad?
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,018
Tax inversion again!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
BTravlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 994
This will probably spell the end for GE Appliance Park in Louisville. There were over 20,000 employees working there in the early/mid 70's but I think it's down to around 5-6,000 now. GE has threatened to close it many times over the years but the union and/or the city have made concessions time and again. The employees also boosted productivity. Shame to see it go bit I doubt Electrolux will keep it open.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
This will probably spell the end for GE Appliance Park in Louisville. There were over 20,000 employees working there in the early/mid 70's but I think it's down to around 5-6,000 now. GE has threatened to close it many times over the years but the union and/or the city have made concessions time and again. The employees also boosted productivity. Shame to see it go bit I doubt Electrolux will keep it open.
Electrolux may keep the plant open. They have bought up several US brands over the years. When you see a "Sears" or A and E appliance repair van, it is Electrolux running the operation.

Electrolux wants to be in the appliance business, GE does not. GE has been looking for a buyer for years. The GE thing from Jack Welch days is "Grow Profit or be thrown to the ash can ". They would have sold it years ago, if a buyer was willing.
__________________
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 3,053
They really do not make a damn thing here in the USA anymore. Welcome to globalization. Wages are the next thing that will be globalized and equal.

That is why the world is in a defaltionary mode.
__________________
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Those PC boards can be expensive to replace. Our 17 year old Thermador ovens look great but the display has gone very dim. The part cost is $335 plus maybe 1 to 2 hours to install for total cost of maybe $500.

So we probably will buy a new double oven.

Are GE ovens really that bad?
I have found new "old stock" appliance parts on E-bay for a lot less than the normal supply sources , but your repair service may not want to use somebody elses parts. Like automotive, a lot of the repair revenue is parts mark-up.
__________________
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
They really do not make a damn thing here in the USA anymore. Welcome to globalization. Wages are the next thing that will be globalized and equal.

That is why the world is in a defaltionary mode.
I seem to remember reading that 40% of the us economy back in 2007 was "Financial Services" Being a money-changer is great while it lasts.
__________________
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The house we are in came with them and that has been our experience too. In 12 years we have replaced three of the original five. Not impressed at all.
Uh-oh! I've had a GE washer and dryer for 12 years too, with no repairs or problems of any kind at all so far. Sounds like I had better start shopping around.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
mpeirce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus area
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
They really do not make a damn thing here in the USA anymore.
I know this is hyperbole, but I hear this from others and it's just not true.

Actually, the US is a bit of a manufacturing powerhouse. Not all of it is US owned, but much of it is. Lots of it is no longer unionized, but some of it still is. Lots of it is in the south rather than the "industrial midwest" or east.

The USA was second in the world in exports last year (yes China exports more than we do). America shipped US$1.579 trillion worth of goods around the globe, up by 49.4% since 2009. (Top US Exports)

A couple of examples:

Lots of car/truck companies have moved manufacturing into the US. More than three million vehicles are assembled in US plants by autoworkers employed by foreign brands like BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz and Toyota.

America built aircraft accounted for 7.5% of all US exports - thanks Boeing.

Even GE sells aircraft engines all around the world among many other items - just not appliances any more.

The world has certainly changed, and change is hard. But the US is actually doing rather well if you look closely.
__________________
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,584
I used to work at Appliance Park in Louisville. At the time (early 90's) the only thing that mattered was making the profit and keeping Jack Welch happy. I was not and still not a fan of him. After transferring from GE Aircraft Engines in Evendale, OH (Cincinnati); it was a big shock to go from aerospace quality to bare minimum quality. At GE Appliances it was "how can we make it cheaper" - not like it should have been "how can we make it better". I will not get into some of the actions that I feel were unethical business practices, driven by the almighty profit. Let's just say I sarcastically call it Generous Electric now and will never buy any GE appliance for myself.

It will be a blow to the Louisville area, but in reality it has been dying a slow death for a long time. Most of that slow death is self-inflicted by making poor quality cheap products. I understand it has to be globally competitive, but as the old saying goes "the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".

GE has been living off their legacy and capital investments for years. The financial arm has carried a lot of the profit, along with medical. Most GE manufactured items the name is the only thing GE. The name was sold in the name of profit.
__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I know this is hyperbole, but I hear this from others and it's just not true.

Actually, the US is a bit of a manufacturing powerhouse. Not all of it is US owned, but much of it is. Lots of it is no longer unionized, but some of it still is. Lots of it is in the south rather than the "industrial midwest" or east.

The USA was second in the world in exports last year (yes China exports more than we do). America shipped US$1.579 trillion worth of goods around the globe, up by 49.4% since 2009. (Top US Exports)

A couple of examples:

Lots of car/truck companies have moved manufacturing into the US. More than three million vehicles are assembled in US plants by autoworkers employed by foreign brands like BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz and Toyota.

America built aircraft accounted for 7.5% of all US exports - thanks Boeing.

Even GE sells aircraft engines all around the world among many other items - just not appliances any more.

The world has certainly changed, and change is hard. But the US is actually doing rather well if you look closely.
The American worker isn't seeing any benefit yet unfortunately.

Those are "Right to work" wages and unfortunately we will not see a recovery in the middle-class. But its great for shareholders and multinationals to pile up more cash.

I own GE,Boeing, and Toyota shares and yes I do want manufacturing wages in the south to be increased.

Hopefully this GE spinoff will help GE stock. It has been stuck for too long.
__________________
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 496
We put GE Profile appliances in our last house we had built.

Every single one of them had to be replaced over the course of five years, the dishwasher and range twice (once each under warranty and again outside of warranty).

In our current home we started with all new Frigidaire Gallery appliances; they have been trouble free for five years now.
__________________
ER'd 6/1/2014 @ age 53. AA=70/30, WR=3%
Looking4Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
We put GE Profile appliances in our last house we had built.

Every single one of them had to be replaced over the course of five years, the dishwasher and range twice (once each under warranty and again outside of warranty).

In our current home we started with all new Frigidaire Gallery appliances; they have been trouble free for five years now.
I'm not surprised at all. Just about every major appliance mfg. makes a line of "builder's specials". Some were resistant to the idea at first, that it would give their brand a bad name over time. But by not participating, they were then shut out of the builder market due to too high of cost. So... they bit the bullet and came out with a cheapo line to compete in that market. And that is a very big market, with no retail overhead. These models are not easy to ID, they can have the upscale model names on them. They don't scream "cheapo".

And sometimes people have been snookered by unscrupulous salesmen/developers, that the new house buyer paid extra for the "appliance upgrade"... and got builder's specials anyway, the salesman pocketed the difference.
__________________

__________________
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There goes the deductible - Getting a hip replacement Sue J Health and Early Retirement 15 06-20-2014 12:11 PM
As GM goes so goes the nation (and market), your thoughts and predictions shotgunner FIRE and Money 78 11-19-2008 08:27 PM
hotels built and sold and sold again renferme FIRE and Money 5 07-10-2006 09:19 AM
Home appliances runnerr Other topics 24 01-25-2006 03:30 PM
Look dude, there goes the space station! Nords Other topics 0 12-21-2005 06:49 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.