Join Early Retirement Today

There's No Tracking Like UPS Tracking
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's No Tracking Like UPS Tracking

Well, I caved from all these telemarketing calls and bought this Caller Blocker device from Amazon. (Yes, I still have a landline). It was shipped via UPS and due today. So, just a short time ago, I was tracking the package but see an exception. The package got damaged and will not be delivered and the sender contacted. Pretty much up to the minute status.

That's no fun as I'll have to wait until I get a replacement shipped before I get to block out those irritating calls. But I got to hand it to UPS. IMO, their tracking is by far the best.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
But I got to hand it to UPS. IMO, their tracking is by far the best.
+1

I cringe when Amazon ships me something via FedEx. We've had repeated problems with FedEx delivery being late and/or saying our address didn't exist, even though they can obviously locate us 90% of the time.

Latest example: we ordered a cell phone cover for our oldest grandson's birthday, shipped two-day using Amazon Prime. No online status update on the FedEx site after initial shipment, and the package didn't arrive when scheduled.

The day following scheduled delivery I called FedEx to place a tracer and was promised a return call within four (4) hours. An hour or two later Amazon sent me an email saying the item had been returned to them and my account was being credited. No explanation of why it was returned.

A month later FedEx called to see if the problem about the missing package I had complained about had been resolved as they still showed it as an open item...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I cancelled Amazon Prime specifically because Prime too often ships via carriers other than UPS, and those carriers kept screwing up. I'd like to get Amazon's video streaming service, but they refuse to take my money for it unless they force Prime's subpar shipping methods upon me. No thanks.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have three packages from Amazon out for delivery at the moment; two from UPS and one from Fedex. I have had exceptionally great experiences with both, in my location. USPS is great too, and they deliver on Saturdays which is a plus. But, they usually seem to take a lot longer.

It has been years since I had any damage to any package delivered to me. But then, my neighborhood is essentially in a city so there are a lot of deliveries around here and I would expect that. I would be very upset to have damaged packages delivered to me, so I think your aggravation is justified.

This is my first year with Amazon Prime, and I only get it for the free two day delivery (which inspires me to buy more, a behavior pattern that pleases both Amazon and me). So far I am happy with it, but given Grayhare's experiences I'll reserve judgment on that!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I order a lot of stuff online and have had good luck with UPS, Fedex, and Ontrac. I have had a few mishaps with UPS and Ontrac but they were able to quickly correct the problem. I think all three offer adequate tracking information, but UPS is probably the most precise. USPS does a good job at delivering the goods, but their tracking info is pretty sparse.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haven't had problems with UPS, FEDEX or USPS. The one have problems with is DHL , I'll buy from someone else if the shipping option is DHL. I swear they must send stuff back to Germany for sorting before final delivery. It's taken 3-4 weeks sometimes to get something that come 3-5 days via UPS.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well, I caved from all these telemarketing calls and bought this Caller Blocker device from Amazon.
The "Do Not Call" List isn't working for you?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think the device got stolen. Original weight showed .3 lbs.

From the UPS status:

"Merchandise is missing. UPS will notify the sender with additional details. / All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage."
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
The "Do Not Call" List isn't working for you?
I'm not on the "Do Not Call" list. I've heard the list isn't so effective...true?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not on the "Do Not Call" list. I've heard the list isn't so effective...true?
True. Rachael doesn't give a rats a$$ about the DNC list. Others don't either.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

At first you don't succeed, try try again.

Amazon is great. I got the refund issued for the no arrival package.

The I went ahead and re-ordered again.

Here is what I got:

Amazon.com: T-lock Incoming PRO Call Blocker with LCD Display and Blacklist: Electronics

Hope this thing works and doesn't take too much effort to use.

My approach is to not try and block every telemarketing call that comes through (as some telemarketers only call once in a lifetime, and Doctor's Group use changing numbers). But those callers that call about 5 times a day are gonna get on my hitlist

... The irony is today, I've only got 1 telemarketing call all day ...
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
+1

I cringe when Amazon ships me something via FedEx. We've had repeated problems with FedEx delivery being late and/or saying our address didn't exist, even though they can obviously locate us 90% of the time.

Latest example: we ordered a cell phone cover for our oldest grandson's birthday, shipped two-day using Amazon Prime. No online status update on the FedEx site after initial shipment, and the package didn't arrive when scheduled.

The day following scheduled delivery I called FedEx to place a tracer and was promised a return call within four (4) hours. An hour or two later Amazon sent me an email saying the item had been returned to them and my account was being credited. No explanation of why it was returned.

A month later FedEx called to see if the problem about the missing package I had complained about had been resolved as they still showed it as an open item...
It seems like most of my orders go through FedEx. They will just leave it at the door, no problem. I had UPS deliver me a chromebook yesterday and it said I had to be there to sign. So I was a house prisoner all day. By 7 I had given up even though the tracking center said it was on truck. Sure enough at 8 pm he shows up with it. He said it was last drop off of the day and he was tired. They must beat those UPS workers with whips for them to have to work that long. It didn't realize they delivered that late into the night.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
True. Rachael doesn't give a rats a$$ about the DNC list. Others don't either.
We keep using Ooma's blacklist feature to block Rachel's future calls as she calls in , but I swear she has either phone number spoofing or a constant source of new Google Phone numbers - she keeps getting through. We've been on DNC list for years now.

"This is your final notice..." we all know it's not.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
It seems like most of my orders go through FedEx. They will just leave it at the door, no problem. I had UPS deliver me a chromebook yesterday and it said I had to be there to sign. So I was a house prisoner all day. By 7 I had given up even though the tracking center said it was on truck. Sure enough at 8 pm he shows up with it. He said it was last drop off of the day and he was tired. They must beat those UPS workers with whips for them to have to work that long. It didn't realize they delivered that late into the night.
Back in days of w*rk, for UPS deliveries that required signatures, I had UPS deliver to a local UPS Store to sign and hold for me. There was a $3 charge each package, but better than missing an important one.

I'd had FedEx redirect to a local FedEx facility to hold free of charge.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Then there is USPS tracking. It shows the ongoing status after the package is delivered.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Easysurfer, I'm so glad that Amazon is setting things right! I had heard that they are good about that, but have never had to test them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have three packages from Amazon out for delivery at the moment; two from UPS and one from Fedex. I have had exceptionally great experiences with both, in my location. USPS is great too, and they deliver on Saturdays which is a plus. But, they usually seem to take a lot longer.

It has been years since I had any damage to any package delivered to me. But then, my neighborhood is essentially in a city so there are a lot of deliveries around here and I would expect that. I would be very upset to have damaged packages delivered to me, so I think your aggravation is justified.

This is my first year with Amazon Prime, and I only get it for the free two day delivery (which inspires me to buy more, a behavior pattern that pleases both Amazon and me). So far I am happy with it, but given Grayhare's experiences I'll reserve judgment on that!
All three packages were delivered, in perfect shape. The first one was the Fedex package, which is a heavy home entertainment center. The Fedex driver brought it inside my house and placed it exactly according to my request.

Interestingly, the Fedex driver was an outrageously strong woman. Never saw that before.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I caved from all these telemarketing calls and bought this Caller Blocker device from Amazon. (Yes, I still have a landline). It was shipped via UPS and due today. So, just a short time ago, I was tracking the package but see an exception. The package got damaged and will not be delivered and the sender contacted. Pretty much up to the minute status.

That's no fun as I'll have to wait until I get a replacement shipped before I get to block out those irritating calls. But I got to hand it to UPS. IMO, their tracking is by far the best.
Get rid of the landline?

I also like the UPS tracking. But sometimes "delivery exception" just means they royally screwed up - like it was put on the wrong truck or something.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Interestingly, the Fedex driver was an outrageously strong woman. Never saw that before.
Lifting a few thousand pounds a day will do that! I'm a female ups driver and my son lifted weights like a madman in high school so his mother didn't have bigger biceps then him .

Crazy things happen to packages. Usually missing items aren't because of theft but because there is a jam on the conveyor that causes the box to tear or come untaped and the contents fall out.

UPS offers My Choice now UPS My Choice - How It Fits Your Life You can electronically sign for most packages and tell your driver where to leave them (front door, back porch, etc)

Lots of overtime! Drivers make between $80-100K per year.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

It turns out that "Worldwide Vacations" and "Lower Interest" (from the caller ID) don't really give a darn about some silly regulation. Something about being engaged in criminal activity already, I suppose. I wound up blocking about a dozen numbers this year (so far), and it has really cut down on the salescritters, as well as those 'silent' calls you get when you pick up, but the robodialer can't find a free meatbag to talk to you.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Lifting a few thousand pounds a day will do that! I'm a female ups driver and my son lifted weights like a madman in high school so his mother didn't have bigger biceps then him .
That is so cool!! I am constantly thrilled to see jobs like this given to whoever is most capable, despite the biases of the past. I lift weights at the gym three times a week, and thought I was pretty strong but this woman was stronger. She carried my two boxes (I think 70 pounds and 115 pounds, each with part of the entertainment center) like they were styrofoam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy
Crazy things happen to packages. Usually missing items aren't because of theft but because there is a jam on the conveyor that causes the box to tear or come untaped and the contents fall out.

UPS offers My Choice now UPS My Choice - How It Fits Your Life You can electronically sign for most packages and tell your driver where to leave them (front door, back porch, etc)

Lots of overtime! Drivers make between $80-100K per year.
I am so glad to hear that they make a decent salary due to the overtime. The drivers in my neighborhood work unbelievably hard and still manage to keep from growling at their customers.