Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Get rid of the landline?

I also like the UPS tracking. But sometimes "delivery exception" just means they royally screwed up - like it was put on the wrong truck or something.
Getting rid of the landline isn't that easy for me as my landline controls the entry into the building. Plus, I'm old fashioned and kind of like the landline, plus prepaid for my mobile.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Easysurfer, I'm so glad that Amazon is setting things right! I had heard that they are good about that, but have never had to test them.

All three packages were delivered, in perfect shape. The first one was the Fedex package, which is a heavy home entertainment center. The Fedex driver brought it inside my house and placed it exactly according to my request.

Interestingly, the Fedex driver was an outrageously strong woman. Never saw that before.
I love shopping with Amazon. My re-order of that device is already on the way with an expected arrival of tomorrow. Sure beats slopping around out in the snow.

This was the first time I had to call for a return. Usually, I print out return slip and drop off the package at a UPS Store for Amazon returns. But this time, there was no package to return
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm not on the "Do Not Call" list. I've heard the list isn't so effective...true?
In our case it's worked just fine. I had to look up who "Rachel" is; never gotten that kind of a call, but our phone co. provides a free service that blocks calls from blocked numbers.

Between the two, the only calls that have gotten through are from local politicians (who are exempt from DNC) and they've been very cooperative in removing our number from their list.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not on the "Do Not Call" list. I've heard the list isn't so effective...true?
True. I got tired of reporting numbers, as it seemed that nothing really happens. And the smart telemarketers just keep shifting numbers. Personally I think it is one of those "all talk, no action" government programs.

Since we have computers on all of the time in our home, I got a $12 USB modem and a freeware program called PhoneTray free (which is no longer freeware but I did give a donation) to screen calls. I like it because I can block calls based on a subset of the phone number or the name that displays on caller ID, and also choose a message to play back to the caller.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #25

Quote:
I am so glad to hear that they make a decent salary due to the overtime. The drivers in my neighborhood work unbelievably hard and still manage to keep from growling at their customers.
Not growling at the customers is probably easier to do for an income like that and (I assume) doesn't require a degree. Still, I'd want to keep my disability policy paid up. One sprained ankle or broken bone in a foot and you're gonna be off for a while.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I cringe when Amazon ships me something via FedEx. We've had repeated problems with FedEx delivery being late and/or saying our address didn't exist, even though they can obviously locate us 90% of the time.
Similar experience here. Admittedly, I do live "way out in the country" but somehow UPS (and USPS) has always been able to find my place (often with different drivers) but the only time I received a package from FedEx they couldn't seem to find the place until they called me for directions.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I cringe when Amazon ships me something via FedEx. We've had repeated problems with FedEx delivery being late and/or saying our address didn't exist, even though they can obviously locate us 90% of the time.
Same here on FedEx. Although I knew it was highly unlikely, I asked Amazon customer service (when requesting a refund for a lost FedEx shipment) if they could eliminate FedEx shipping for my account. They told me that was not possible but said they would make a notation on my account about FedEx shipping issues to my address. Most of my Amazon orders seem to be shipped via UPS or USPS but I still receive a few via FedEx.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
It seems like most of my orders go through FedEx. They will just leave it at the door, no problem. I had UPS deliver me a chromebook yesterday and it said I had to be there to sign. So I was a house prisoner all day. By 7 I had given up even though the tracking center said it was on truck. Sure enough at 8 pm he shows up with it. He said it was last drop off of the day and he was tired. They must beat those UPS workers with whips for them to have to work that long. It didn't realize they delivered that late into the night.
When I was working and lived in a big city, I just paid for a mailbox at what was then Mailboxes etc (now UPS store), and had all deliveries go there. I was worried that something left on the doorstep might disappear before I got home.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde
When I was working and lived in a big city, I just paid for a mailbox at what was then Mailboxes etc (now UPS store), and had all deliveries go there. I was worried that something left on the doorstep might disappear before I got home.
I live in a small town, not that people wouldn't steal here, but I do see packages on the porches all the time. I looked a little closer at my bill and it was the sending company that requested the signature not UPS. Best Buy wanted it for my Chromebook. My IPads sent by Apple did not request it, I guess, and FedEx just left it there.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #30

Quote:
I live in a small town, not that people wouldn't steal here, but I do see packages on the porches all the time. I looked a little closer at my bill and it was the sending company that requested the signature not UPS. Best Buy wanted it for my Chromebook. My IPads sent by Apple did not request it, I guess, and FedEx just left it there.
Dell wants them for computers also.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
gone traveling

i use amazon often. i also have prime and a kindle. i have not had a delivery problem yet.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Typically it is the sender that request a signature. But my UPS/FEDEX person just drops at the door, doesn't even ring the bell. I hear just a thunk when he drops it against the door. The online status shows delivered.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My understanding, at least for UPS is that unless the sender requires a signature, to drop the package off or not is up to the discretion of the UPS delivery person. I suppose that makes sense as most folks don't want to miss a package and have to wait another day.
Let The Games Begin
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Let The Games Begin

I received the call screening device that I re-ordered today.

It came in a bubble wrapped envelop, so I imagine the one that got damaged the other day probably got smashed by another package.

All I need now is some repeating telemarketing calls so I can block them out
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #35

Quote:
I received the call screening device that I re-ordered today.

It came in a bubble wrapped envelop, so I imagine the one that got damaged the other day probably got smashed by another package.

All I need now is some repeating telemarketing calls so I can block them out
Good, but get on the DNC list. It works great for us 98% of the time.
Of course you still hear from surveys, politicians, charities, people you've done business with in the past and occasional DNC violaters, but caller ID lets us avoid them.
Did I say 98%?? I'm going to lower that to--maybe 95%
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Why does it have memory for outgoing calls ?
Quote:
The drivers in my neighborhood work unbelievably hard and still manage to keep from growling at their customers.
Around XMas, I was getting a package almost every day. I was particularly watching for one, and when it came I realized the driver had left the depot about 5am (in December, yikes !!) and had been working about 8 hrs when he got to my house. I also like the fact their drivers seem pretty dog savvy - not freaking out and being chill when the neighborhood dogs do their duty.

My buddy in college worked for them as a summer job in high school. He was convinced they were laundering money, because of the combination of the wages and benefits they provided, the service they provided to their customers, and the fact they washed every truck every day (he seemed really fixated on that :-)
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems like a lot of stuff is broken in this poor old country of ours. One of the thing that gives me hope is that I can sit in my chair, push a couple buttons on my computer, and the next day (or day after) a man in a brown outfit shows up with almost any item under the sun.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #38

Quote:
When I started 20 years ago it was not uncommon for me to open a door and set a package in the house. I would even get notes to leave the parcel on the kitchen table. Nowadays people seem uncomfortable when I walk into an open garage and leave the package.

There are websites now with tutorials on how to follow delivery drivers around and steal packages.

I have several customers who have put those garden storage benches beside their door - the kind that lock. They leave a padlock in the bottom of it and I lock it after I put the box inside.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Well, I caved from all these telemarketing calls and bought this Caller Blocker device from Amazon. (Yes, I still have a landline). .
Yes, I was also very fed up with all the spam calls. Every day, several calls. I was building up a list of numbers I blocked, but they kept coming. So I bought something called a Obihai VOIP box, and hooked it up to Google voice. This brought me 2 benefits

1- zero, nada, nichts spam calls. It's heaven. Google voice has a spam filter (like gmail). Works great.

2- My landline costs me zero, nichts, nada (after the $40 cost of the obihai box). This may change in the future if Google starts charging, but there are cheap options out there, once you're not locked to a certain provider.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Why does it have memory for outgoing calls ?...
I think the outgoing can be used to dial numbers so that number shows up on the device, then put that number on the blacklist.

(Or to spy on some unknowing person in the household to see who's been sneaking around ).

I'll just wait until a telemarketer calls me, then if the call is a repeat, add to block that number. That's my approach.