Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
There's a good chance you'll end up with a lot of water in the cooler over a long trip even if the ice is in a perfectly waterproof bag, especially if the cooler is not airtight or you open it frequently. If the ice bag external surface temp is below the dew point of the air in the cooler, then there will be condensation on the bag. The water will drip off and collect in the bottom of the cooler. The water won't evaporate very quickly or at all since the RH in the cooler will be close to 100%. Your use of a slightly insulating dry bag for the ice might overcome this problem since the surface of the ice bag might not get below the dewpoint of the air in the cooler.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Why not do a 180, and store the food in a waterproof container...
This is what I've been doing, thanks HFWR. I just tilt/dump out the water in the grocery store parking lot and throw the new ice in. All the ice melts after 1-2 days, but today I bought a 9 pound block -- we'll see how that goes.

Sure gets hot around here (I'm in San Clemente right now).

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
Let me guess.
Air leaks in cooler?
Now I know you are extremely scientific in your measurements since you are a musician.

When you have flooded the cooler with melted ice water, the air volume is much reduced so heat conduction by air leakage is reduced.
But with a nice tidy plastic baggy there is alot more air in the box, a different environment all together.
You may even be peaking in there more to check how your snazzy idea is working and made it worse.

That's how your AC work.

me_no_boss is offline   Reply With Quote