Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

68 during the day, 55 at night.

Heat where you are at. Use a space heater for a single room you are spending time in. Use a blanket when you are sitting and reading or watching TV. Electric blanket or mattress pad in bed. Wear warm clothes, and a hat.

Also check the energy efficiency of your house. Consider clear plastic over windows, more attic insulation, check door thresholds for gaps and adjust or put a towel down.

I agree that a gas fireplace probably won't do much. You'd be much better off just bumping the thermostat a degree or two. If you have the capability to add a wood burning stove those are very efficient.

I think the cold came pretty suddenly this year, part of it might just be acclimation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My ventless natural gas fireplace with ceramic logs throws off a lot of heat. I had it installed by the builder when my home was under construction, and the cost 10 years ago was $3000.000 so it is not something that is purely ornamental. I live in a two-story home, and it does a very good job on the first floor (I am not trying to heat the whole house with it). As a matter of fact, I start to swelter after about a half an hour if I am in the small den off my kitchen where the fireplace is located and I frequently have to turn it off. I suppose I could set my thermostat on 62 and rely more on the fireplace and it would not be so overly warm.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #23

I find that when cold weather first arrives it takes awhile to acclimate, so the inside temperature is at 69-70 now. At night or when unoccupied I set it back to 66. After a winter bill or two I set it back another degree or two.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Central Florida here. Our A/C was on yesterday set at 77. Outside temp was low 80's.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #25

65 during the day.(Altho sometimes I spluge up to 68 when it's really really cold outside)

50-55 at night.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #26

70 above the 4 ft level, closer to 60 below the 4 ft level. This old RV is more than a bit drafty. It was -14 (I'm not talking wind chill) the other morning. I just got the furnace up and running a couple of weeks ago. The first time it has been turned on in probably about 20 years. I have been using a couple of small electric heaters. I am winterizing for the really cold nights to come. Insulated skirting, clear plastic over the windows and roof vents, insulation up under the front driver and passenger area. 68 is what I am shooting for when I get the drafts under control.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #27

We keep it at 68 during the day and 65 during the night. Our house is from 1955 and poorly insulated if at all. We put in new windows and HVAC in the last few years which was a big improvement.

We like a cold bedroom with extra blankets. The living room is at the bottom of the open steps from upstairs and it has some cold spots so we keep throw blankets handy.

The 2 unused bedrooms upstairs are left unheated and the doors are closed. We keep the upstairs bathroom and the hallway heated.

The pipes to the upstairs bathroom are in the unheated eaves. When it gets below freezing we have to remember to drip the faucets to ensure that the pipes don't freeze.

What were they thinking in the 1950's?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I set my thermostat to 19 C, or 66 F throughout the day & night.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #29

Central CT. 64 during day, 55 at night. I have a 'warm room' (12x13) that has everything I need, computer, TV, weights, stationary bike and a space heater to maintain at 73 when home.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #30

We hate cold weather. Thermostat stays at 78 or slightly above all year round. When the house was built we paid for extra insulation so the bills aren't bad, comparable to the neighbors who didn't spring for the extra insulation.

And having natural gas heat helps. That was a major factor in deciding on this house.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Set at 70, but, I think the biggest thing is humidity management. That seems to make all the difference whether I feel warm or not.

-CC
Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

No thermostat here (no central heating). If it gets cold enough, I bring out the electric oil-filled radiator... That happens only once or twice a year.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #33

69 or 70 in the day and 68 or 69 at night. Our bills stay pretty low here in Texas with those settings.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have a 2 zone furnace. Keep the upstairs (2nd floor bedrooms + 3rd floor office) at 71-72 degrees. Keep the downstairs (kitchen, family room, dining room, living room) at 71-72 degrees during the day/evening but lower to 60 degrees overnight when sleeping.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #35

73 year 'round. DW Reynaud's, moi - old age and wear shorts.
Gas fireplace for romance, not heat.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
My ventless natural gas fireplace with ceramic logs throws off a lot of heat. I had it installed by the builder when my home was under construction, and the cost 10 years ago was $3000.000 so it is not something that is purely ornamental. I live in a two-story home, and it does a very good job on the first floor (I am not trying to heat the whole house with it). As a matter of fact, I start to swelter after about a half an hour if I am in the small den off my kitchen where the fireplace is located and I frequently have to turn it off. I suppose I could set my thermostat on 62 and rely more on the fireplace and it would not be so overly warm.
I am curious. AFIK Ventless gas heaters dump a lot of moisture into the enclosure. From memory a gallon of nat gas burned creates roughly one gallon of water wapor.

How is the indoor humidity?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

My 'stat' is set as follows:

morning 63

day 65

evening 70

night 55 (4 blankets needed!)

Just got a new oil fired boiler. Hoping to save a few gallons of oil.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Whenever on heat, our thermostat is set at:
  • 63F Mon-Fri 8a-5p (weekdays) - 27%,
  • 59F 8p-5a (nights) - 38%,
  • and 65F the rest of the time (breakfast, dinner & weekend days) - 35%.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I am curious. AFIK Ventless gas heaters dump a lot of moisture into the enclosure. From memory a gallon of nat gas burned creates roughly one gallon of water wapor.

How is the indoor humidity?
That humidity can be a big issue. In a newer "tight" home, it can show up in condensation on the glass, rot on the window frames, or the need to run the heat recovery ventilator more. In "leakier" homes sometimes the problem isn't apparent, but the moisture can be condensing on structural wood members in the walls or attic. And, in addition to the H2O there are other combustion products. Ventless gas heaters /fireplaces are illegal in a lot of countries, but allowed in most of the US.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Currently 25 degrees outside here. My thermostat is set at 71 during day and 67 while sleeping. I have natural gas heat and it is pretty cheap. I am in my house a lot during winter and I damn sure am not going to be cold to save a $1 a day by lowering it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk