Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

68 in the evenings and weekends when occupied,66 at night, and 60 weekdays when unoccupied.
The two end bedrooms and the family room regularly run two degrees colder during heating season, otherwise would turn down the core of the house further at night. Have a gas log set in family room so often at 70 when family gathers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
So what do others set their house temperatures to? Any family disagreements about this one?
Programmable thermostat. In the winter we set it to 67 during the day, 55 at night and when we are not home.

Because of the houses extremely high efficiency rating, it rarely drops below 62-63 in the house at night, as long as the temp outside is above 25. We have occasionally had inside temps go below 60 at night when it's negative 20 or lower outside. But we usually only have 5 to 20 days below zero a year and negative 20 is flirting with record lows.

My biggest problem is the summer. Because of hot flashes, my wife keeps pushing the AC down to 66 at night (74 during the day). In the summer it feels like I live in a meat locker at night.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

For the geothermal folks - are the savings on the utility bills legit?

I like a comfortable house. We usually set the heat at 72-74 and the AC at 70-74. I don't hesitate to turn on either system in the spring or the fall. I have only owned modern houses with good windows and insulation, so the bills have never been to extreme I budget $250/mo and the split between gas and electric is usually less.

I wish we had zoned heat in this house as the bedrooms can be a problem.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #44

We've only been in our new house for a little more than a month. During that time, the outside temp has seen a high of about 94 and low of 44. We have our AC set at 76 and we actually felt cold on the few hotter days when AC came on. When it was 44 degrees outside the house got down to 68 overnight, but I suspect this was mostly due to the fresh air system coming on and piping in colder outside air. We will probably set the thermostat at 70 during the winter as DW always feels cold. The big unknown for me, is how the fresh air system might affect inside temperatures and energy consumption.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gas fired water, radiators and baseboard: 60, 50 at night or when away.
Window A/C downstairs: 80, or not at all if humidity is low.
Window fan for bedroom at night.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
For the geothermal folks - are the savings on the utility bills legit?
Seems so to me, but no science to back it up. When we built the house 5 years ago I was disappointed to discover I was paying about the same for electricity in our new MD geothermal home as I was in our previous (equally large) VA home. However, after doing some research I discovered that we were paying almost exactly double per KWh in MD, so I'm marking it down as at least a 30% improvement, even allowing for some better insulation and other energy saving tech.

Regarding keeping the house too cool, ours is currently 65, but the pug on my lap is keeping my personal thermostat nice and toasty.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Location is important. Here in south Texas it's all about A/C. We have a two story house (mistake)...

Summer (April - October); set at 78 - 80 F

Typical electrical power bill (2,000 sq ft house) - $150 - $230 summer months...
The OP asked about thermostat setting for the winter, but as you mentioned cooling, my other home in the low-elevation metro area is 2,800 sq.ft., and the highest electric bill was near $400 in the summer. Setting is 78F.

This same home in the winter is set at 68F. Electric bill typically runs $150 in January.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #48

70 Day 60 Night Fall-Spring
Off during summer
Seattle area
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I'm planning on moving back to N Yorkshire in 3 years....I need to set the temp to "don't die".

I know exactly what you mean. We also plan on moving to N Yorkshire in 3 years time, but only during the summer months.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #50

I'm another one with 70 during the day and no lower than 68 at night in the winter.

In summer, I set the A/C at 78 during the day and shut it off at night. I have a whole house fan that I use at night and it almost always cools down to below 70.

If I feel too hot or cold, I change those setting a degree or two. My house is well insulated and I have low utility bills so I see no need to be uncomfortable.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the responses so far. There is quite a range of answers but I know there are all kinds of reasons for this.

DW has pushed the temp up from 66 to 67. This has to be a joint decision and we joke about the choice. I really don't know what the cost is to push the average temp up a couple of degrees. At this time of the year I suspect it is modest.

BTW, our utility company has started showing a nice graph with the monthly bill. It shows the broad monthly picture for a year and daily as well. Here is the monthly:

Maybe sometimes I get too carried away trying to be efficient. With energy consumption it becomes kind of a patriot sort of thing but maybe I'm going over the top.

This thread is providing a good grounding.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm looking forward to snowbirding this winter. Our house in MD is really big, and even with geothermal it's pretty expensive (MD Eastern Shore electricity is pretty high). This winter I'm going to get to set it to 45, and with the lack of other electric use I suspect we should be saving a couple hundred dollars/month. And since the house in FL is pretty small and Jan - March should be mostly without AC, I think we're going to have a huge energy consumption difference.

Ordinarily we'd keep the main house zone at 67, the bedroom zone at 64, and the upstairs (empty) zone at 45.
We are going to snow bird as well. 45 seems a little low too me. Not much buffer to freezing if you loose power.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

We neither cool nor heat our apartment (San Francisco), letting the temperature rise and fall with the seasons (62-85F inside temperature throughout the year). We mainly use the sunlight to heat up the place in the winter, though it sometimes needs to be supplemented with a space heater when I am sitting at my desk.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
We are going to snow bird as well. 45 seems a little low too me. Not much buffer to freezing if you loose power.
We'll be turning off the water and draining the pipes, but we also have a propane generator that will keep the heat, fridge, and other necessary devices going. I think we're covered, unless we have a multi-week outage.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

67F around the clock in the winter. We heat with natural gas and it is petty inexpensive. We supplement with a wood stove. The stove has a fan that circulates air around the firebox and with the help of a ceiling fan I can pretty much heat the whole house with it. An hour before bedtime we turn on the central air fan to circulate the heat better to the bedrooms. I make it a point of pride not to pay for firewood. Thus far, I have gotten so much free wood from suburban tree trimming/cut downs that I turned some down when offered. When I am running the stove it is pretty easy to get the ground floor to 73 or better.

In the summer we set the central ac to 73. I wish we had a swamp cooler instead, but we also use the whole house fan to cool the house down at night.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin
I'm planning on moving back to N Yorkshire in 3 years....I need to set the temp to "don't die".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I know exactly what you mean. We also plan on moving to N Yorkshire in 3 years time, but only during the summer months.
Hell.....that IS during the summer.....or whatever they call the time during June/July/August. Wife was back at the end of May last year.....she has been spoiled living with me and my liking of fingers that aren't frozen......her family doesn't use much heat. I TOLD her to take her thermals with her.....but noooooooo, she wouldn't listen.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We'll be turning off the water and draining the pipes, but we also have a propane generator that will keep the heat, fridge, and other necessary devices going. I think we're covered, unless we have a multi-week outage.
We are on a well, so I suppose I will drain pipes and they shut off the breaker to the well. Not sure if there is any down side to that. We will have a genny as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We are on a well, so I suppose I will drain pipes and they shut off the breaker to the well. Not sure if there is any down side to that. .........
I turn off the power to my well pump when I travel. The downside is air in the pipes when I return. The upside is no burst plumbing and resultant water damage.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I turn off the power to my well pump when I travel. The downside is air in the pipes when I return. The upside is no burst plumbing and resultant water damage.
How do you handle the air in the pipes when you get home?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How do you handle the air in the pipes when you get home?
Turn on the vent fan in the bathroom.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote