Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

They Had to Invite Me
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They Had to Invite Me

Next month I’m going to do something that I’ve never done before: I’ll be attending my 50th high school reunion. For those of you folks who may be a bit too literal, this is not the 50th time I’ll be attending a high school reunion. This more has to do with graduating from high school in 1962.

Anyhow, it seems about a third of the class will be showing up, which I guess is pretty good. I’m actually more curious about the ones not showing up. (I am so glad I'll be showing up).

From what I gather, most of the attendees are retired or sort of retired. I, on the other hand, am not—but, this is mainly out of spite. I remembered when I graduated (bottom 5% of the class—keep in mind the competition was tough) everybody said, “Hey, Duck, nobody’s going to give you a job.” Well, I showed them. Just who’s not working NOW?

The other weird thing (actually, it’s all weird) is that after we email one another about high school memories/teachers/classes, we go onto to more recent events: travel/children/grandchildren (all basically pretty boring stuff) and then back to relationships/missed opportunities/hate/lust/love/insecurities/goofy times—none of which is boring. Remember, this is a group of 68 year olds that have known each other for 50 years (or more). (To be continued. Please see below).

Ah, here we are: welcome back…

We are also having elementary school reunions the night before the high school reunion. So, many of us have known one another for a mere, let’s say, 58 years or so.

Every ten years I win the vote: "Mostly likely not to change, but should." I’m pretty sure I’m the favorite to win it once again.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Mostly likely not to change, but should."

In what way? Physically or physiologically, we all change (or did you discover the fountain of youth and are keeping it to yourself?). So, it must be mentally, spiritually, attitudinally or something like that (something that is not physical yet observable, but I am at a loss of words here).

Do you care to characterize yourself further? And why did they say you should change? That implies that it is something bad! Come on, come clean now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

I know people (my son for example) who refuse to attend a reunion.

Personally, I've found them very comforting. Sort of a "the more things change the more they stay the same..."

I've rekindled some wonderful old relationships, which, as an only child, are good to have. One can't have too many friends.

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like you have a great group.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post
e
I've rekindled some wonderful old relationships...
Me too at my 50th.

In many ways it is a celebration of life.. you are still among the living. It is interesting to observe those who have traversed the intervening years smoothly, and others who haven't. "Success" in an economic sense is much less important and when it is usually it is concern for a classmate who is having a rough time. Some of your classmates who were predicted to soar crash and burn. A couple smart classmates will have dementia now.

Go, have fun.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

My fiftieth class reunion. We're all sitting around bragging about our accomplishments, how successful we've been and how much money we all have. Up drives the class dummy in a limo, gets out, dressed to the nines with a beautiful woman on his arm. Diamonds, Rolex, etc. We're all looking at each other like what the hell? We get to talking over a couple drinks and say to the dummy "hey, what's going on. You look so successful and we're wondering what you do for a living". He says, "I'm into eggs. Not chickens but them eggs. Millions of eggs. Millions and millions. I buy them for a penny each and sell them for three cents each.
That 2% really adds up".
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to my 50th and was glad I went. The best part was having old classmates tell me what I meant to them.......and, some of it was a little surprising. The sad part is the list that was passed out of those that have departed from this world......lots of kids I would have thought would probably had outlived me. Some of the "dogs" turned into cuties, one gal that worked as a Playboy bunny now weighed over 350 lbs. I may have been the most successful financially but the "winners" were/are those that had health, family and financial security.....and, I'm one of the lucky ones. I'd suggest everyone go when you have your 50th......not to brag but to reconnect with everyone that meant something to you and to listen to those that you may not have realized at the time but you meant something to them. I wish that there would be a 60th but I'm told not enough would be around to make it worthwhile.....that's something worth thinking about as well.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

[QUOTE=NW-Bound;1223681]"Mostly likely not to change, but should."

In what way? Physically or physiologically...QUOTE]

I'm guessing they meant underwear, but I could be wrong...
Old 08-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had few friends in HS and was for the most part treated like dirt when I was there. I have had some on-and-off contact with a few HS classmates but that is all.

That being said, I would consider going to my HS reunion (the 25th was was back in 2006) if they would hold it in a less formal setting. They always have it in some gala hotel charging more than $100 a person when they could have it perhaps in the HS itself or as a picnic in a state park nearby (where those with children can bring them along and make a day out of it). If I were to go, it would be something in a "Revenge of the Nerds" motif, being able to boast about having retired at 45.

Without having attended any reunions, I was able to obtain a compilation of what some of my fellow graduates wrote back in 2001 (before the 20th reunion), describing what they had been doing in the last 20 years. Made for an interesting read and it helped my locate one of them years later I had been friends with but had lost touch with.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I'm guessing they meant underwear, but I could be wrong...
When I asked Redduck to "come clean", I did not think anyone would take it in the above literal sense. But we just have to wait for his reply.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

E-mail (and Facebook photos) have cured me of the desire to attend any further reunions... especially college & high school.

If I cared about any of these people then I'd communicate with and visit them more frequently, and I wouldn't need a reunion to make it happen.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
My fiftieth class reunion. We're all sitting around bragging about our accomplishments, how successful we've been and how much money we all have. Up drives the class dummy in a limo, gets out, dressed to the nines with a beautiful woman on his arm. Diamonds, Rolex, etc. We're all looking at each other like what the hell? We get to talking over a couple drinks and say to the dummy "hey, what's going on. You look so successful and we're wondering what you do for a living". He says, "I'm into eggs. Not chickens but them eggs. Millions of eggs. Millions and millions. I buy them for a penny each and sell them for three cents each.
That 2% really adds up".
LOL!

I missed my elementary school reunion because I had just been in a car crash and could not travel. I went to my HS reunion and really enjoyed it. There I renewed a friendship with a guy who had been on sports teams with me in HS, and also my freshman year roomate at university. We live nearby, and now see one another frequently.

This past spring was my 50th college reunion, but I didn't feel like traveling that far. I spent some time looking for an old girlfriend who used to live in the same town as the school, but it can be hard to find women. It turns out that although I dated her frequently for 3 years, I apparently did not understand where she had gone to college, or where she worked. I didn't want to try to rekindle a romantic relationship, because face it she is as old as I am. But she was a super woman, and she had the kindest most understanding way of telling me I was full of it. So many times I have thought, if I had just paid more heed to Bettie things might have gone more smoothly for me. I would have liked to just enjoy her companionship and wit once more. And hey, if she had taken off her clothes, what's not to like?

But not finding her, I thought to hell with the trip. I plan to make the 60th.

Ha
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
E-mail (and Facebook photos) have cured me of the desire to attend any further reunions... especially college & high school.

If I cared about any of these people then I'd communicate with and visit them more frequently, and I wouldn't need a reunion to make it happen.
This is my attitude as well. Went to one maybe 20 years ago. Was OK but it was amazing how much we had all changed. Really had very little in common with these guys and the years have confirmed that. If you are into nostalgia(I am not) they can be fun I think. I guess the most fun was seeing the "big guys on campus" turn out like very average and even less than average guys. Not a positve motive for attending though.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I only attended one - my 30th.

I reminded a guy there about the time in 8th grade that he had packed a hollowed out book with batteries and flashbulbs and set it off in the middle of a darkened classroom.

He was horrified that I'd remembered and begged me not to tell the story to his kids.

We both went on to be engineers.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Many posters seem to be caught in competion, talking about winners and losers, cuties and fatties, etc.

As ERs we have dropped out of the race, so why not enjoy that freedom? No one really cares how cool we once were, or more likely, how cool we thought we were.

Maybe we have to be older to leave that behind.

Ha
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Many posters seem to be caught in competion, talking about winners and losers, cuties and fatties, etc.

As ERs we have dropped out of the race, so why not enjoy that freedom? No one really cares how cool we once were, or more likely, how cool we thought we were.

Maybe we have to be older to leave that behind.

Ha
Agree
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #16

Ha Ha, ha ha
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

I have gone to two reunions with my SO .At the last one a classmate of his remembered me from school and had lots to recall .It was hard to break it to him that not only had I not graduated that year but I went to a school in a totally different state.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #18

I have not been to any class reunions. I'm just not interested and don't have much in common with any former classmates. There are a few I see on FB, but there is little interaction with them.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #19

Ienjoyed my 10 and 20 year reunions. Haven't reached 30 yet. Ithink the key was that I had some key friends that I knew would be there. Yes, I do see those guys outside of reunions, but them being there was a "fun guarantee."
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to my 20th HS class reunion, and - while interesting - that was enough for me.
The group of people I had looked forward to seeing had stayed away in droves, and the ones that I didn't particularly care for were just as full of themselves, officious and irritating as they were 20 years ago (with a few pleasant exceptions).

It did thoroughly reinforce my decision to get the heck out of my home town as soon as I could - it's a one "industry" town, and if you're not interested in participating in the industry discussions, you really have little in common to discuss.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote