Things do even out in the end

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Some believe that things are rigged against them and some believe that over all things even out.

Remember the post sometime back about the missing hot dog when I shopped from aldi? Well, today, brand new month, I did my routine. That routine being shopping for groceries, using my vaccum sealer to separate the items and seal them up. So, today I bought a pack of hamburger patties. Supposedly, a dozen to a pack. But after the vaccuming, I notice an odd amount. After counting, I had 13 patties instead of 12.

I suppose the question is what type of quantity control do the manufactures use?

About evening out or not, I remember reading the book "Days of Grace" by the late tennis player Arthur Ashe. His view was that all the bad calls the umpires make, overall they even out. Bad breaks = lucky breaks. But when he'd tell that to McEnroe, McEnroe would go on a rant.."You cannot be serious..etc."

Being a pessimistic guy, whenever something good happens to me, I always fear something bad will happen next. I call it the principle of "Conservation of Luck!".

That is kind of how I look at random good and bad events. Sometimes I get charged too much at the store, sometimes they undercharge me. I'm sure it evens out in the long run, so I don't waste a lot of time backtracking to the store and fighting for my $2.

And I know a certain amount of bad things will happen to me, and that bad luck is spread around fairly evenly. No sense in worrying about it or wondering what karmic messenger casts his evil upon me. Over the course of a lifetime bad things just happen. But good happens too.

And I know a certain amount of bad things will happen to me, and that bad luck is spread around fairly evenly. No sense in worrying about it or wondering what karmic messenger casts his evil upon me. Over the course of a lifetime bad things just happen. But good happens too.

I'm in that camp too. There are times I wonder why I'm still alive since some of the dumb things I've done should have killed me and have killed other people.

Or even the randomness of weather. I hesitate to write this, but it appears that we'll skate through this entire winter without having to put fuel in the snow thrower. In recent previous years I've run several gallons through it. So that means that either this winter was evening out for the higher than average snowfalls in previous years, or that next year we're gonna get hammered real good.

Or more likely it doesn't mean anything at all.

How do you suppose bad luck and good luck compare to the win some, loose some, way of thinking. While I don't know much about luck, I win sometimes and loose sometimes. I guess six of one and half a dozen of the other. don't mind me I'm just rambling.

There was a Seinfeld episode where Jerry realizes that for him everything seems to balance itself out. He loses a dollar and then finds a dollar in his couch. George starts having good things happen to him only to have Elaine have bad things happen to her. He calls himself even steven.

Pretty funny episode. Has little to do with anything but the OP made me think of this episode. It was pretty funny.

It is like, what I don't spend on medical care for myself, I spend on my dogs.

I wonder if its a matter of context.

I'm a 100% optimist and by my count I'm way, way ahead.

Then again, I tend to ignore the bad stuff and only focus on the good stuff and always try to turn negatives into positives.

"...if it ended today, I'd say we'd be even. On second thought, nah! I'd say we're ahead...." Jay Leno's character "Mookie" on "American Hot Wax"

I'm in that camp too. There are times I wonder why I'm still alive since some of the dumb things I've done should have killed me and have killed other people.

Or even the randomness of weather. I hesitate to write this, but it appears that we'll skate through this entire winter without having to put fuel in the snow thrower. In recent previous years I've run several gallons through it. So that means that either this winter was evening out for the higher than average snowfalls in previous years, or that next year we're gonna get hammered real good.

Or more likely it doesn't mean anything at all.

I agree that some of the dumb things that I did in my youth, could have easily killed me too.

I have had some bad things happen in my life, but the good things definitely overweigh the bad.

I vote that this winter is evening out for the higher than average snowfalls in previous years, since I live in WV also.:)

Now that you mention it, I guess I believe that things even out in the end.

This helps me to get through the bad times, thinking "This *can't* last forever!"

It also helps during the good times, such as the blissful time I have been having in retirement so far. I feel like I have more than earned my good fortune, so that lessens any guilt that I might otherwise feel about it.

Do things do even out at the end? Yes... if life was fair.

Back
Top Bottom