Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am going to give away that minivan to a needy family. The cost to keep it just to haul something once in a while is getting to me.

Besides ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Oh, and my last two Bimmer wagons grew trailer hitches and haul bigger stuff just fine - big stuff gets stuffed in the back. Of course buying them when they have over 200,000 miles means my depreciation hit isn't very bad..
... I have trailer hitch on my 2 SUVs. The problem is I have only one trailer and it's up in the boonies home to haul my dirt bikes to the forest trail heads. Pulling the thing back and forth between two places is a chore. Buying another trailer is out, of course.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Truck story
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Truck story

Two years ago, a work associate was going to donate his 2002 RAM extended cab, long bed truck to charity as it had over 200,000 miles on it, needed brakes and two tires, and was overheating badly. Plus his son was driving it and used it for a rolling garbage can. I bought it for $500 and gave it a good cleanup. I changed a leaking heater hose, put two tires on it, changed the oil, filters, put on new front brakes and two universal joints. I put about $900 in it and have been using it frequently since then.

Since owning it, we have moved the kids (three apartment moves) and moved us into the newer house. I have used it to haul loads of mulch, lumber, new doors, new toilets, and a motorcycle or two. I have lent it to the kids for various similar purposes. It took me to work when one of our cars were down.

All in all, we put about 20,000 miles on this truck and never went on a long trip (never left Texas)!

Best $1,400 I ever spent and still runs fine and looks good. The bad thing is it's a 5.9 liter V8 and uses fuel like a drunken sailor who just hit port and went to the shore bars.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
.......... Buying another trailer is out, of course.
My solution is a Harbor Freight trailer that folds and stands on end in the barn for storage.

Utility Trailer 4'x8' - Heavy Duty Folding Utility Trailer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrailerFolded.jpg (23.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I am thinking of the smaller trailer that HF has, which is 4'x4' I think. It is enough to haul said bags of manure, bricks and blocks from Home Depot, plus the occasional new fridge or appliances.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am thinking of the smaller trailer that HF has, which is 4'x4' I think. It is enough to haul said bags of manure, bricks and blocks from Home Depot, plus the occasional new fridge or appliances.
Be sure to use the ubiquitous 25% off coupon. They will usually apply it to the sale price.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Every time I think that one of those would be handy, I remind myself that you can rent a truck from Home Depot for $19. And you don't have to store the truck or put new tires on it.

-ERD50
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I partially agree with it but not entirely:

1. Cable TV - We went without cable for a couple of years but currently have it. My big thing I like to watch is the show Chopped. It has limited episodes available on both Hulu and Amazon Prime. However, what I like is that I can record shows and then play them while on the treadmill or rower. I would probably cancel cable though but DH watches more of it than I do. We are currently on a reduced price offering. When it goes up we will probably cancel, but then our internet service will go up.

2. Landline service - Gone for a long time

3. GPS devices - I have built in navigation in my car. My son's card had a standalone Garmin GPS but it wouldn't stay stuck to the windshield. He just uses his phone now.

4. DVD and Blu-ray players - We have them, but don't use them often. Still, some stuff can't be streamed so if I want to see it I have to watch it on DVD.

5. Hotel rooms - No, I don't want to give them up.

6. Two-year phone contracts - The author doesn't seem to understand that not everyone lives in a big city with every choice. We are in a suburban area and the only carrier that has decent signal is Verizon. I actually did buy an off contract iPhone recently but right now I have no other real options than Verizon.

7. Desktop and laptop computers - Again, the author doesn't seem to understand that not everyone had the same needs. First, there is a vast group of people who play games on computer. To play these games, you must have an actual computer, not a tablet. Also, while I love my iPad I don't particularly want to do major composing of documents or spreadsheets on it. It is nice, but doesn't replace my computer. I realize for many people it would be a fine replacement, but I don't see it being a replacement for my needs. Also, lots of other programs have iPad apps but they have reduced functionality to the actual program you use on your computer.

8. Extra legroom in economy - I'm short

9. Credit cards with points or miles programs - I use Amex blue cash preferred. Basically everyone has to analyze what is most profitable for their situation.

10. Digital cameras - I have a really nice digital camera with a variety of lenses but mostly use my iPhone.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My solution is a Harbor Freight trailer that folds and stands on end in the barn for storage.

Utility Trailer 4'x8' - Heavy Duty Folding Utility Trailer
Up North I bought that same trailer used for $50. Worked it like a Sardinian donkey for years with the rentals - could strap 3 new 14' Costco refrigerators on it at once (with a bit of overhang). Put 4x8 plywood sides on to haul wet barkdust and bent the axle, swapped plywood deck twice as it rotted away, replaced wheels, lights, bearings; cut the roll-away wheels off, welded the trailer hinged portion solid as it got way too flexible.

Piece of lightweight junk that served me way beyond it's expected capacity. Handy handy handy, and easy to scoot around.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
6. Two-year phone contracts - The author doesn't seem to understand that not everyone lives in a big city with every choice. We are in a suburban area and the only carrier that has decent signal is Verizon. I actually did buy an off contract iPhone recently but right now I have no other real options than Verizon.
Have you given a thought about trying a Verizon MVNO, like Page Plus?
DW likes $29.95 plan it for her iPhone 4. Here are the prices from Genius Wireless - Page Plus Plans :
$12 / month The 12: 250 cell minutes, 250 texts, 10 MB data
$29.95 / month Talk n Text 1200: 1200 cell minutes, 3000 texts, 500 MB data
$39.95 / month Unlimited Talk n Text: Unlimited cell minutes and texts, 500 MB data
$55 / month The 55: Unlimited cell minutes and texts, 2.5 GB (2560 MB) data
$69.95 / month The Data King: Unlimited cell minutes and texts, 5 GB (5120 MB) data
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Have you given a thought about trying a Verizon MVNO, like Page Plus?
DW likes $29.95 plan it for her iPhone 4. Here are the prices from Genius Wireless - Page Plus Plans :
$12 / month The 12: 250 cell minutes, 250 texts, 10 MB data
$29.95 / month Talk n Text 1200: 1200 cell minutes, 3000 texts, 500 MB data
$39.95 / month Unlimited Talk n Text: Unlimited cell minutes and texts, 500 MB data
$55 / month The 55: Unlimited cell minutes and texts, 2.5 GB (2560 MB) data
$69.95 / month The Data King: Unlimited cell minutes and texts, 5 GB (5120 MB) data
I have thought about it. But I have a 4G iPhone 5s and PagePlus doesn't do 4G LTE yet. I think it will likely do it in the future and, when it does, I will definitely look into it.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #31

Agree with some, some not.

Cable. Presume that includes sat. I need one because I like sports and need/want the nfl package. Will do one or the other until I can stream the sports games I choose.

I need more horsepower than a tablet can give, but I come from an IT background.

Digital Camera. If all you want to do is quick snap shots, your camera is fine. Photography is a hobby for me and I need more than that.

For the add on pickup truck. I will always have a pickup. Maybe not the F350 I have now but some sort.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #32

GPS devices will be popular for several more years or more. A windshield mounted talking turn by turn Garmin is hands down way better than a smart phone GPS app.

Don't count DVD players out either as long as $1.49 Redbox movies are available. The def is still superior to streaming.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Re DVD and Blu-ray players - I just bought my first Blu-ray player recently. I stream most of my movies, but also have the Netflix 1 DVD at a time subscription for titles not available on streaming. My old DVD player died and new Blu-ray players are so inexpensive, it made perfect sense to buy one. Good thing I didn't read this article first!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Hotel rooms, for 2 day or longer stays, we are switching to renting houses in select locations via VRBO or Airbnb. My sister and niece do this all the time, and it is a real cost saver. You have a kitchen and can cook all your meals if desired rather than having to go out to restaurants. Plus, it just feels more comfy staying in a house rather than a room.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #35

Quote:

Mine last over 15 years ... need to keep the bearings greased. I blew out the bearings 3 times. The last time was hauling firewood (on the highway) .... scary! So I "upgraded" to a Snowbear with larger wheels. All metal construction on the Snowbear is key.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Bluray player last year. Have not played a single Bluray disc yet, only DVDs.

The reason I bought it was that the older ones I had did not have an HDMI output. And this new one can stream video and music from my home media servers as well as from the Web.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
Re: Hotel rooms, for 2 day or longer stays, we are switching to renting houses in select locations via VRBO or Airbnb. My sister and niece do this all the time, and it is a real cost saver. You have a kitchen and can cook all your meals if desired rather than having to go out to restaurants. Plus, it just feels more comfy staying in a house rather than a room.
I have not done this, but recently looked at Aibnb and liked what I saw. Yes, staying in a hotel room and eating all meals out can be a chore for longer stays. That's why we like our timeshare exchange.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I've looked at Aibnb and liked what I saw also. Once we burn off the remaining 300,000 Marriott points, 100,000 Holiday Inn points and a few nights at Hyatt's, we will have to pay for travel lodging again.

I really hate hotel rooms after 35 years of frequent business travel. Actually, I hate to travel anymore, period. But, occasionally, it's worth the hassle to leave the homestead for a period of time. I have no interest in travelling to Europe or Asian countries anymore so its North America or nothing.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #39

When traveling with kids - vacation rental apartments/houses is the ONLY way to go. More space, a kitchen, and usually cheaper than a 250sf hotel room.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with you on flying (economy seats) for a short flight but if you are much over 6 feet tall and are flying international - the economy comfort is worth the difference to me. I've done it both ways and sitting in a wide "V" position for 11+ hours is painful.