Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Automobile ash trays.

How about ash trays in the home? My folks did not smoke, but we still had them on the coffee table for guests.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agree. A "crossover" is an expensive station wagon.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would beg to differ about the station wagon.... look at the Honda Venza and a few other whatever they are called now.... that is a station wagon if I ever saw one.... just raising it up a bit does not change what it is...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

The Canadian penny coin is no longer being made. I celebrated its demise by sorting and rolling all the coins in my change jar. After retaining some toonies and quarters for parking machines, I took the remainder to the bank yesterday and deposited $82 to my checking account.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Could that happen to Microsoft and the Window OS?
Microsoft Could Be Obsolete By 2017: Gartner Report | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance
"A report released by Gartner, the technology research and advisory firm, forecasts that by 2017 shipments of devices using Google’s Android operating system will dwarf shipments of Windows PCs and phones. Shipments of Apple iPhones and iPads will be almost at parity with devices powered by Microsoft.
“Microsoft could be completely irrelevant in three or four years if they can’t make headway in the smartphone or tablet market, where they’ve been struggling,” says The Daily Ticker's Henry Blodget."
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Could that happen to Microsoft and the Window OS?
Microsoft Could Be Obsolete By 2017: Gartner Report | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance
"A report released by Gartner, the technology research and advisory firm, forecasts that by 2017 shipments of devices using Google’s Android operating system will dwarf shipments of Windows PCs and phones. Shipments of Apple iPhones and iPads will be almost at parity with devices powered by Microsoft.
“Microsoft could be completely irrelevant in three or four years if they can’t make headway in the smartphone or tablet market, where they’ve been struggling,” says The Daily Ticker's Henry Blodget."
I doubt it. What keeps an OS active is not so much the OS itself but the applications that depend on it. Folks are more likely to use smartphones and tablets as ajduncts to PCs for a while. Enough businesses depend on Windows applications that you won't see it disappear. In fact, the growth of smartphones and tablets may drive increased usage of Windows at the enterprise level.

There might be an analogy with what has happened to mainframes. When PCs started growing and networking increased, may predicted the mainframe would become obsolete. Instead, it drove the requirements for more mainframe processing since so many more requests were coming in. In addition, there were applications and security characteristics where the mainframe has an advantage over PCs. The result has been a growth in mainframe processing rather than a reduction.

Microsoft's growth days may be over, and its stock might be more like and "value" than a "growth" stock, but I don't see it or Windows being obsolete in 4 years, given the existing base and how quickly that base really changes. But if I was 100% sure in my predictions I'd be filthy rich and not a struggling peon.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #86

jollystomper
Yours is a well reasoned analysis. Actually when you read the article, it just said that smartphones and tablets are gaining market shares on Microsoft, but at worst, it said those shipments will equal to that for Microsoft and Window OS in 2017. That did not say Microsoft will be obsolete or the company will fail by that time. Typical headline in financial post and the breathless exaggerations.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

I was thinking I no longer had need for an old "church-key" beer can opener, but then I had an urge for condensed milk for my coffee. Luckily I found one buried in the kitchen junk draw (next to the Ronson lighter).
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
I was thinking I no longer had need for an old "church-key" beer can opener, but then I had an urge for condensed milk for my coffee. Luckily I found one buried in the kitchen junk draw (next to the Ronson lighter).
Love Vietnamese style coffee with condensed milk.

You wudda thought all cans now come with a lift tab
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #89

I remember when men had manners enough to remove their hats indoors.
It used to be that little boys wore short pants and full length trousers were the normal attire for grown men.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I remember when men had manners enough to remove their hats indoors.
Sadly, it is now all too common for louts to wear those stupid baseball caps indoors: especially while eating in restaurants.

I used to think that this was exclusively an American habit, but unfortunately the disease has crossed the border and is slowly spreading northward.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Sadly, it is now all too common for louts to wear those stupid baseball caps indoors: especially while eating in restaurants.

I used to think that this was exclusively an American habit, but unfortunately the disease has crossed the border and is slowly spreading northward.
I teach public speaking in a college. I frequently have to explain that hats aren't to be worn by gentlemen while giving a speech. Also had to implement a dress code for speech day. Sweats and a stained shirt just don't lend credibility to your speech...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
.... implement a dress code for speech day. Sweats and a stained shirt just don't lend credibility to your speech...
Except for ER, of course
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
Except for ER, of course
Well... I do teach to dress appropriately for the occasion. Just cuz sweats are inappropriate for my class doesn't mean they are ALWAYS inappropriate.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Sweats and a stained shirt just don't lend credibility to your speech.
Speaking of which, I hope that you are able to cure your students of the habit of 'upspeak' (a.k.a. high rising terminal, rising inflection).

I find that really annoying? It certainly does not increase credibility? It sounds like the speaker has no confidence in what he or she is saying?

As my mother used to say, "don't ask me, tell me".
Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #95
Dryer sheet aficionado

Customer Service - not at all obsolete, but has definitely died in our modern culture!
tkopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkopel View Post
Customer Service - not at all obsolete, but has definitely died in our modern culture!
We have become a society which is in the relentless pursuit of the lowest possible price, and in that respect we're getting what we've shown willing to pay for -- not much.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

Wow - I never thought of myself as a lout until now. I'm wearing a stupid baseball cap now while I'm watching tv from my couch.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wow - I never thought of myself as a lout until now. I'm wearing a stupid baseball cap now while I'm watching tv from my couch.
At least you're wearing your spats, right? No, don't tell me!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #99

Drive in movies are not obsolete. Still a neat place to take your girl lol...
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #100

Quote:
How about film-based cameras? Though I would say that many of them still take better pictures than digital ones.
Film based cameras - and Polaroid films - still have place in commercial photography. For consumers? Not as much.