Join Early Retirement Today

Things that make you feel rich - NOT money
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Things that make you feel rich - NOT money

If you want to post pictures of your friends or family that's fine, but thinking more of the little bits of opulence that just make you feel like, daaamn, this feels goooood.

Yesterday and today and for the next few days we are unrolling and hanging our rugs out in the sun to reacquaint ourselves with them and to keep the moth larvae at bay. For several years oriental rugs were our primary self-allowed vice and we did indulge. a bunch.. Sat up there on the deck surrounded by the rugs and talking about them with the gal - where we got them, color, drawing, whether we like them or love them and why and it just felt good. They are pretty much all old and beat-up, but they are also real. Maybe it felt like being in an adult version of the blanket caves I built as a kid.

So what does it for you? a great wristwatch? a special car? a surfboard crafted by the local surf legend?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1485.jpg (1,023.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1487.jpg (887.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1482.jpg (784.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1471.jpg (1.18 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1472.jpg (1.09 MB, 9 views)
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Man, do you live in Turkey?

I feel rich when I see everyone going to work. Sorry, I know you said things but I do love watching people rushing to work. (heh)
If I'm up that early.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You have some lovely rugs! I have a few too, as well as some cheap but carefully selected sculptures and paintings. Being surrounded by beauty, or what is beautiful to me, anyway, makes me feel rich. Which, as you point out, does not have much to do with money.

It helps to be nearsighted!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Being surrounded by beauty, or what is beautiful to me, anyway, makes me feel rich.
Local singer Danny Couch had a big hit a few years back, "Have You Seen These Islands?" including the line "This is aloha..."

Every time I see the sun rise over the Ko'olau and set over the Waianae I think "This is aloha, baby."

For some strange reason I feel rich when our papaya trees bear fruit. This year we're gonna get about 150 pounds of richness dumped on our heads.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't need to own a lot of things. But being able to surround myself with a few high quality items makes me feel rich.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

It helps to be nearsighted!
I like our unrepaired rugs more than the few we have that have been repaired. The gal has repaired sides and edges and done some field repair - it's a huge amount of work and no matter how good the repair it is visible - these are old rugs and the dyes are variegated and have changed colors over time. She will retwist strands of different color yarns to get the right color blend for knotting, but then there is the wool texture, the twist of the yarn - suffice it to say, repairs can be spotted.

My mind's eye, however, does amazing repair work and those holes and tatters just become insignificant or get incorporated into the experience of the rug. I imagine the desk and the chair that made a tear, the loose warp threads that created a wrinkle that later wore, the maid with the new Hoover that destroyed the ends. The wear gives the rug character and a back story. It does help to be nearsighted!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #7
Administrator

Photographs.

Looking at the photos from all the fantastic places we have visited over the last 40 years makes me feel very rich and privileged, and we are still clicking away.

This morning it is clear and sunny and when DW opened the bedroom curtains she looked out for a while then said, "I'm just trying to burn this view of the hills into my brain before we have to leave in a few weeks". Photos will help re-live these memories for years to come.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This morning it is clear and sunny and when DW opened the bedroom curtains she looked out for a while then said, "I'm just trying to burn this view of the hills into my brain before we have to leave in a few weeks". Photos will help re-live these memories for years to come.
If you plan on returning prior to late September I hope you packed your asbestos-lined underpants.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Photographs.

Looking at the photos from all the fantastic places we have visited over the last 40 years makes me feel very rich and privileged, and we are still clicking away.
This reminds me of my friend who once told me that he thinks the best kind of wealth to build up is wealth of experience. He lives a comfortable middle-class life, so he certainly wasn't saying that from a position of inverse snobbery (i.e. because he's poor).

I agree with him. Learning new things, and seeing different things gives a very real and lasting sense of satisfaction.

Now if you want to know what kind of material possessions give me pleasure, I'd have to say the sight and smell of a cup of coffee and a pastry first thing in the morning

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
................I feel rich when I see everyone going to work. Sorry, I know you said things but I do love watching people rushing to work. (heh)
If I'm up that early.
+1
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #11

Learning new stuff/things/ and making it work.

For example, last night I finally got the color matching precisely correct between the camera, screen, and printer. DW just didn't understand what the enthusiasm was about but it made my day. This means that I can get the colors correct in photographs of subjects other than a color chart.

This is a color checking chart leaning against a piece of white foamboard leaning against a bookcase. Unless your monitor is also color calibrated it won't be accurate:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color-check_08-18-11_4253.jpg (37.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
... last night I finally got the color matching precisely correct between the camera, screen, and printer. DW just didn't understand what the enthusiasm was about but it made my day.
The long winter nights must fly by in the Walt household.
(I'm with Mrs Walt on this one)
Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Going out in the hay meadow at night when there's a full moon and a clear sky and you feel you can almost touch the stars.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
gone traveling

Knowing that DW cares about me (through all the struggles in life), and my pups that "love me" - especially on those days that I feel the world is crashing around me.

I'm a simple person.

Priceless...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Our big screen TV. Sorry to bring things back down to the materialistic level, but when I'm watching a video with an incredible image, I feel rich.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our big screen TV. Sorry to bring things back down to the materialistic level, but when I'm watching a video with an incredible image, I feel rich.
I remember the first color TV we got a couple of years after they came out. We still kept the B&Ws just in case the new fangled thing didn't work our. On a side note: I just hate it when the old B&W movies are colorized....
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Experiences (not things in our case) that are different and fun. Example, yesterday DW and I took a drive to Point Reyes. We brought our oil painting gear and sat on a small beach painting the scene. DW had forgotten her painting gear but luckily I had brought enough that we could share. When you sit in one spot and concentrate on it for 2 hours, it's burnt into your brain. Just lots of fun.

Here's a photo of the view we were painting (Tomales Bay):

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you plan on returning prior to late SeptemberDecember I hope you packed your asbestos-lined underpants.
REW, I noticed a typo in your reply, so I corrected it
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Being able to afford original art makes me feel rich. We don't buy very expensive pieces, but when we have a little extra we pick up a small piece from a favorite artist. (It helps that we live an hour from Santa Fe.)
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We have a few rugs, certainly not as many as calmloki, but here are a couple/few, plus some of the other items I enjoy owning, (and we're not 'stuff' people):

Rugs, all purchased in Saudi Arabia:

A Makonde Shetani picked up in Tanzania in 1988:

An old 'jug', the handle of which someone once tried to fix with a piece of bone), found in Riyadh:

And my favorite.....a hand carved Rhino purchased at a roadside stall in South Africa ~ 30 years ago........it was fairly inexpensive, but out of habit I attempted to bargain the carver down......."No", he said, "It's a fair price"....I agreed and paid him.

For some reason I just love it:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote