Join Early Retirement Today

things to do for nonxtians on xmas
Old 12-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

things to do for nonxtians on xmas

for years my cousin & i made tradition of going to www.miamimetrozoo.com on xmas day. no traffic on the way, hardly anyone there on arrival. a scattering of other nonxtian-types looking for something to do. this year i'm stuck dog sitting for my brother who's off on a ski vacation. and just when the zoo has a new giraffe feeding station. guess i'll either take puppy to the beach or maybe bark park will be open tomorrow. any other ideas?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: things to do for nonxtians on xmas
Old 12-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
for years my cousin & i made tradition of going to www.miamimetrozoo.com on xmas day. no traffic on the way, hardly anyone there on arrival. a scattering of other nonxtian-types looking for something to do. this year i'm stuck dog sitting for my brother who's off on a ski vacation. and just when the zoo has a new giraffe feeding station. guess i'll either take puppy to the beach or maybe bark park will be open tomorrow. any other ideas?
I want to get some good chinese food tomorrow, this non xtrian is married to one, BUT I have her on my side, we will spend only a small time with her parents and family and then we are outta there.

I just ERd Friday and I think I would rather not spend the whole day with the family units. Heck I lived with my sister and brotherinlaw for the past 4 months also crashing at my fathers who is now deaf as they come, funny almost 80 and is just great to be around, But he is on a plane going out to califorina.

Oh well the beach idea with the puppy sounds great. I am a loner and could enjoy a 10 mile run a good book and some great music.

A good long walk on the beach, meet people get some good food xmas evening places will be open.

Enjoy.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #3

We'll do our traditional Jewish Xmas - chinese food and a movie.

Grumpy
Old 12-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took me a while to figure out what a "nonxtian" was.

Here's something nonxtian you could do: Get a tree and decorate it, and buy a lot of presents at the mall, open them on the 25th, and return some on the 26th. That's pretty nonxtian.

Hey, wait. That's what the Xtians do.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Just talked to my sis in California. Her SIL is Christian so they bought him a present and are cooking Christmas eve dinner for him and DD. He has no family in the US so they are trying to help him feel at home. Pretty sweet.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Just talked to my sis in California. Her SIL is Christian so they bought him a present and are cooking Christmas eve dinner for him and DD. He has no family in the US so they are trying to help him feel at home. Pretty sweet.
So, your sis' SIL is xtian and received dinner for him and DD? Nice xtian thing to do for a nonxtian, even if he is your sis' SIL.

Oy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

This nonxtian put up a tree, let the kid decorate it, and got a present or two for the family. Had a party on Christmas Eve, and then Santa-san dropped by overnight and left a little something in the stocking.

At New Year's we'll do Hatsumode (http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyoculture...cultureinc.htm) and give the kid otoshidama (http://www.tjf.or.jp/deai/contents/t...toshidama.html).

It's all good. (Especially for the kid...)
Old 12-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #8

And, of course, there's always Festivus.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
So, your sis' SIL is xtian and received dinner for him and DD? Nice xtian thing to do for a nonxtian, even if he is your sis' SIL.

Oy.
Hey, new SIL, but U R right. NFK.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

Oy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Hey, new SIL, but U R right. NFK.
R U spkn Nvaho? Swhili? Rdu?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:19 AM   #11

I realize this is too late for this year but consider going to a candle light service xmas eve. Larger denominations will frequently have elaborate musical presentations. I've been to some that are quite a concert in their own right. There aren't any guards on the door to keep you from leaving before the service actually starts but the music during the service can also be quite good. You don't have to believe in any of it to enjoy the free entertainment.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I realize this is too late for this year but consider going to a candle light service xmas eve. Larger denominations will frequently have elaborate musical presentations. I've been to some that are quite a concert in their own right. There aren't any guards on the door to keep you from leaving before the service actually starts but the music during the service can also be quite good. You don't have to believe in any of it to enjoy the free entertainment.
2B,

When I was in high school several of me close friends were musicians. They took me with them to a local church on Christmas eve for midnight mass which included a spectacular performance of Handel's Messiah. I was undoubtedly the only Jew in the place. I still love to hear the Hallelujah chorus.

Grumpy
Old 12-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
2B,

When I was in high school several of me close friends were musicians. They took me with them to a local church on Christmas eve for midnight mass which included a spectacular performance of Handel's Messiah. I was undoubtedly the only Jew in the place. I still love to hear the Hallelujah chorus.

Grumpy
Western culture has an excellent musical tradition that happens to include several hundred years where all the "top hits" were xtian. Good music can be appreciated even by members of the tribe.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #14

as much as i appreciate good music & good cheer and i really don't mean to start a religious war or to be a bah-humbug but rather just to bring up a point of view which i think might be shy to show itself, afraid of being quick to be stoned to death, i gotta tell ya that after 49 years of listening to singular-themed music and jingles piped into elevators, shopping centers, supermarkets, the gym, the radio, the television, you name it-it's there, one of the true benefits of er i'm looking foward to is spending all of november, december and january in some buddhist country like thailand where i'm hoping i'll have a moticum of repreive from rudolph so that i'll only have to deal with christmas in july sales here. but even on that note, sour, i'm certain, to many, i do whole-heartedly wish all christians a very merry xmas.

now if i could only find a place for lunch without piped-in music.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
now if i could only find a place for lunch without piped-in music.
I agree. Crap is crap and it get old quickly. You might be disappointed with Christmas in Asia. Many countries have discovered the "true" meaning of Christmas -- sell, sell, sell.....
Old 12-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #16

You could do like I did this morning. Grab a bunch of snacks, and watch a good ol' Godzilla/Mothra movie!!! "Look Out!!! It's Godzirah!!!"
Old 12-25-2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Come on--you don't have to be a xtian to enjoy xmas. It's a bloody solstice festival. Like most xtian holidays (Easter in particular), it was appropriated from the pagans in an attempt to coopt the "old ways." Even atheists like me can enjoy it without guilt or misgivings! I usually go skiing on Xmas day--usually not too crowded.

Since Christ was likely born in August in 4 BC, no need to get overly theological even if you are an unbeliever...it's a blasted holiday!