Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of curlers, whatever happened to mothballs? In the old days, every house had mothballs in a clothing chest or in drawers. Did we win the war against moths? Not all clothing is synthetic.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Regarding the Kardashians, I am appalled at what passes for entertainment to some people. I don't even know why I'm talking about this.
No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public. (attributed to Henry Louis Menchken)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Hmmmm...when a teenager, living in a very small town, having rollers in your hair on a Saturday afternoon and WANTING to be seen in public, pretty much meant that you had a date that night.
"Hey, Fred, was that your girlfriend I saw in public this afternoon? Everybody in town is talking about the way she looked-- you sure you want to go out with her again?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Speaking of curlers, whatever happened to mothballs? In the old days, every house had mothballs in a clothing chest or in drawers. Did we win the war against moths? Not all clothing is synthetic.
Aren't those made from naptha, which sublimes and eventually disappears?

Spouse found a stash of one-inch diameter cedar balls. When the outer layer dries out, you're supposed to sand them down a little to restore the scent. Of course you go around smelling like a cedar chest.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only recent use for mothballs that I've seen is to try to keep mice away from stored cars.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #185
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse found a stash of one-inch diameter cedar balls. When the outer layer dries out, you're supposed to sand them down a little...
So, just how do you sand one inch balls - other than very carefully, of course...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #186
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So, just how do you sand one inch balls - other than very carefully, of course...
I suspect you have to start with two-inch balls, and I'm certainly not volunteering for the experiment or the practice!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Has this one been mentioned:

Personalized license plates......they cost you more, and if, (even inadvertently), you ever cut another driver off, or somesuch, they're going to forget "AKT-296", but they'll remember' HUBBA" forever.
I see that your mind works like mine.

Ha
Old 12-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #188
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing I don't get is the open outcry system of trading at the New York Stock Exchange (and others) - all the shouting and hand signals - to me it seems pretty ridiculous that business is still being done this way!
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #189
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Hmmmm...when a teenager, living in a very small town, having rollers in your hair on a Saturday afternoon and WANTING to be seen in public, pretty much meant that you had a date that night.
Heck, DW (who has not seen her "teens" for over four decades) and not ready for a date (that I know of ) still does this (and it dosen't have to be a Saturday ).

Love her, anyway
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A more expensive but less labor intensive method is to get a military surplus potato peeler. It is a motor driven drum with a rough surface inside.

In goes a sack or two of potato, flick switch, 5 minutes later dump them out, all peeled. Now if you forget, 15 minutes later, there are no more potatoes. And you have a very pi$$sed off cook to deal with. The joys of KP.

Apply same method to your cedar balls.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming
One thing I don't get is the open outcry system of trading at the New York Stock Exchange (and others) - all the shouting and hand signals - to me it seems pretty ridiculous that business is still being done this way!
Like the British parliament, which seems similarly outdated and childish (here, here, boo, hiss). I don't get it.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #192
gone traveling

Why does DW choose to remain employed, but needs not to? ...

Yeah, I want to live a bit better, but I can't while my "partner" contines to accumulate funds that she needs not to.

I guess I'll take that long deferred trip on RT66 on my droptop, by myself ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #193
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks to everybody for contributing !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

I don't get:

Why DW wants to buy furniture that is uncomfortable?

We had a big go-around buying couches for the LR years ago. She would drag me out to show me what she wanted, I'd sit in it and say 'no way, who designed this? did they ever actually SIT in it? It isn't comfortable at all'.

DW would say it isn't important (?) it looks nice. I told her I will buy pictures of uncomfortable furniture, and we can hang the pictures on the wall, and admire them from our comfortable seats in the comfortable furniture we will buy. That went over well.

We finally found something she liked that I thought was reasonably comfortable. It wasn't easy.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

There are two groups in my experience:

Form before function.

Function before form.

Now it is time for full body armor.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
There are two groups in my experience:

Form before function.

Function before form.
As the saying goes "Don't choose style over substance".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

We should probably stay away from the area of "things my spouse does that I don't get."
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #198
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read some of the posts but not all so these may be repeating what someone else has already written, but I don't get.....

Texting.....when you could just make a call. Those keys are too small for me to want to bother trying to type a message.

Reality shows are so far from reality...how did they get that name?

Why do many overweight women wear such skin tight clothes now-a-days when their shape would be better served with more modest style clothing. Those skin tight designs showing all the rolls and bulges creep me out. Now of course, if you got the great body, by all means show it off!

Why perfectly healthy people will park in a handicapped parking spot...I have a co-worker that drives his Dad's car with handicap plates, he will park in handicapped parking spots because he can get away with it.

I don't get why you can be ticketed for not wearing a seat belt you in this state you can ride a motorcyle without a helmet.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #199
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We should probably stay away from the area of "things my spouse does that I don't get."
Why wil Lena be posting a long long list !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Why do many overweight women wear such skin tight clothes now-a-days when their shape would be better served with more modest style clothing..
It's like the old joke where the woman is told to wear loose fitting clothing to her first workout session.....her response was "If I had any loose fitting clothing I wouldn't need to attend the class".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote