Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #261
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Plus being at least somewhat less likely to walk into the pathway of a truck or bus, or suddenly find oneself in the middle of an attack. Worst of all I think are people walking along texting, as they cross streets, crash into other pedestrians, etc.

I love my Ipod and podcasts- but only at home. I won't even sit on a park bench with it.

Ha
At my gym, listening to podcasts or music on an iPod while working out is more common than not. People just get bored while doing their routines. It doesn't bother me any more than it would bother me if someone was watching the TVs in front of the treadmills (in other words, not at all).

Still, it seems hilarious to me to see people walking down the street or sitting in a doctor's office with a telephone glued to one ear. It almost seems as though they are terrorized by the thought of being alone.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #262
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
At my gym, listening to podcasts or music on an iPod while working out is more common than not. People just get bored while doing their routines. It doesn't bother me any more than it would bother me if someone was watching the TVs in front of the treadmills (in other words, not at all).
I'm thinking of getting an iPod for just that purpose. And perhaps feeding it into the car audio system.

Quote:
Still, it seems hilarious to me to see people walking down the street or sitting in a doctor's office with a telephone glued to one ear. It almost seems as though they are terrorized by the thought of being alone.
It used to be you could spot the people with problems on the street because they were the ones talking to themselves. Now, with all the hands free devices, you can't tell.

Last night I was out walking. Twice, people walking their dogs while talking or texting on their cell phones were unable to shorten the leash as they approached to keep the dog from jumping on me. If they can't even walk the dog without a problem, imagine driving.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Even if the restaurant only has 2 beers on tap, the waitress never knows how much they cost. And beer prices are never on the menu.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #264
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why, with New England's 50 degree winter has nobody on the news mentioned the words "Global Warming"? I'd expect everyone saying "see! told you so".

Or is GW old news now? Personally, I've saved over 40% on my heat bill, so I"m thrilled!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Why, with New England's 50 degree winter has nobody on the news mentioned the words "Global Warming"? I'd expect everyone saying "see! told you so".

Or is GW old news now? Personally, I've saved over 40% on my heat bill, so I"m thrilled!
Because people are becoming more knowledgeable and now understand the difference between "weather" and "climate"? Or it might be that they know the earth has warmed about 1.4 degrees F in the last 130 years, a climb (about .7 degree over the course of a lifetime) that is so gradual that no one is going to notice it in the subjective perception of the outdoor temperature?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

Something I don't get. Web sites that will ask for a credit card number or SSN, but can't handle it if you put in spaces or dashes.

It's trivial for a program to strip out the dashes or spaces. People can enter it more easily and accurately if it's broken up.

Why do they require numbers only?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Something I don't get. Web sites that will ask for a credit card number or SSN, but can't handle it if you put in spaces or dashes.

It's trivial for a program to strip out the dashes or spaces. People can enter it more easily and accurately if it's broken up.

Why do they require numbers only?
Agreed - drives me nuts. And this happens with phone numbers and zip codes also.

Sometimes, you can fill out an entire page of info, then hit submit, and it kicks it out for the phone number format. Most times, it doesn't even tell you what the "correct" format is (do they want hyphens, parenths around the area code, or ?), until you get the error message. It always strikes me that to simply strip out any non-numeric (trivial as you say), so the format would make absolutely no difference, would be so much easier than writing the error message.

Or a zip code entry that doesn't specify 5 or 9 digit format (my autofill will usually give the full 9). If you give it 9 for a 5 digit field, just take the first 5 numbers.

I don't get it, is it really stupid programmers? And no one reviews this stuff?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Programmers can be a bit rigid, no?

Ha
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Programmers can be a bit rigid, no?

Ha
It's usually more an attitude of "it's good enough". From my personal experience.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #270

Posters of music legends with the person's name written as a big caption at the bottom. Talk about stating the obvious. When you see a big, iconic image of Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Charlie Parker etc, printing their name at the bottom is superfluous and makes it look a little silly IMO.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Posters of music legends with the person's name written as a big caption at the bottom. Talk about stating the obvious. When you see a big, iconic image of Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Charlie Parker etc, printing their name at the bottom is superfluous and makes it look a little silly IMO.
Obviously you have not yet attained the esteemed age at which you would say, "Oh look at that great image of..... um..... er.... you know, that great bluesy rock singer from Port Arthur that was so incredible at the Monterey Pop festival and that we saw live in SF back in the 60's and that sang with the Holding Company... Cheap Thrills, Pearl, feather boas, Southern Comfort....darn, what was her name?.... It is on the tip of my tongue.... Jane? Janet?..."

But I do agree that they could make the name very small, in one corner. Maybe 12 point font, "Janis Joplin, San Francisco, 1968" or something like that.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #272

Memory aids - now that's a good one W2R

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #273
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Memory aids - now that's a good one W2R
I need all the help that I can get in that department, since I passed age 60 and more. I don't worry about it much but it's nice to have something to jog my memory sometimes.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I need all the help that I can get in that department, since I passed age 60 and more. I don't worry about it much but it's nice to have something to jog my memory sometimes.
I thought you were making a joke, but I see there is an element of seriousness to what you say.

I've recently started paying more attention to my memory lapses, as both my parents passed away as a result of dementia in the last few years. What I used to think of as a normal scatterbrained moment will now have me wondering if I'm showing the early signs of heading down the same path. I took an online early Alzheimer test and passed with flying colors, so I think my occasional "pre-senior" moments are nothing to worry about.

However, if I ever see a picture of Jimi, Janis or Miles and wonder who they are, I hope that whoever is with me will march me straight to the nearest doctor's office!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #275
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, if I ever see a picture of Jimi, Janis or Miles and wonder who they are, I hope that whoever is with me will march me straight to the nearest doctor's office!
No need to get too concerned about forgetting a name. Truth is as we age we do tend to suffer from occasional bouts of W2R's aptly named 'memory lapses', and it isn't a sign of Alz or dementia, it's just the way things are...

An elderly couple had been experiencing declining memories, so they decided to take a power memory class where one is taught to remember things by association. A few days after the class, the old man was outside talking with his neighbor about how much the class helped him.

"What was the name of the Instructor?" asked the neighbor.

"Oh, ummmm, let's see," the old man pondered. "You know that flower, you know, the one that smells really nice but has those prickly thorns, what's that flower's name?"

"A rose?" asked the neighbor.

"Yes, that's it," replied the old man. He then turned toward his house and shouted, "Hey, Rose, what's the name of the Instructor we took the memory class from?"
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #276
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Obviously you have not yet attained the esteemed age at which you would say, "Oh look at that great image of..... um..... er.... you know, that great bluesy rock singer from Port Arthur that was so incredible at the Monterey Pop festival and that we saw live in SF back in the 60's and that sang with the Holding Company... Cheap Thrills, Pearl, feather boas, Southern Comfort....darn, what was her name?.... It is on the tip of my tongue.... Jane? Janet?..."

But I do agree that they could make the name very small, in one corner. Maybe 12 point font, "Janis Joplin, San Francisco, 1968" or something like that.
Never mind music legends, sometimes I need everyone I know to wear a very small sign with at least a first name on it!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #277
Gone but not forgotten

I do not get how great pizza makers from New Jersey can move to Florida and make lousy pizza . Do they throw their recipes out the window on the drive down ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I do not get how great pizza makers from New Jersey can move to Florida and make lousy pizza . Do they throw their recipes out the window on the drive down ?

Ahhh, I've got a theory on that (Chicago pizza in California, but same concept)...

The people in FL/CA generally don't appreciate NY/Chicago pizza. If they did, people would already be selling it there! For some odd reason, a business can't survive selling the good stuff in some areas. Regional tastes (or lack of taste)?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Ahhh, I've got a theory on that (Chicago pizza in California, but same concept)...

The people in FL/CA generally don't appreciate NY/Chicago pizza. If they did, people would already be selling it there! For some odd reason, a business can't survive selling the good stuff in some areas. Regional tastes (or lack of taste)?

-ERD50
I also think that is the main reason. You have to sell in the local market, tailored to the local tastes. Taking the bagel example, maybe better bagels are available in parts of Miami beach?

I know my sister from the midwest would not recognize a fish if it weren't battered and deep fried.

Ha
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #280
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Another reason is so that your teen daughter can learn the proper spelling of Mr. Hendrix's & Ms. Joplin's first names and Google them by herself... because you know she's not going to ask you and have to watch you roll your eyes and do your famed Left-Handed Air Guitar act.

It's important because when she's getting ready to buy her first car, you want her to be able to appreciate the irony of Janis' "Mercedes Benz" song and Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote